Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Pets page 2

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    We also use World's Best Cat Litter, I believe it's made of corn... one great use for it! My cat is 18 years old and has kidney disease, and this is the only litter that can take all the abuse (way more volume than before he was sick).

Both our cat & dog eat grain free for the most part, although we are not super strict - especially with the dog.

Have to agree with you, OutdoorAmy, on the poop picking-up. I see why you would do it in some areas, like my previous home in a very manicured neighborhood... there were fines for leaving dog poo and yes people would report you. Always annoyed me, but I understand that the "image" is very important. Luckily where I live now out in the country, it is very dog-friendly. People let their dogs go wherever, and you are more likely to step on deer poo than dog poo anyway. If I were in a town, I'd pick up if it were in someone else's yard or a kid's playground, etc. But things here are more "natural" and most people seem to consider poo=fertilizer.
    Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Have to agree with you, OutdoorAmy, on the poop picking-up. I see why you would do it in some areas, like my previous home in a very manicured neighborhood... there were fines for leaving dog poo and yes people would report you. Always annoyed me, but I understand that the "image" is very important. Luckily where I live now out in the country, it is very dog-friendly. People let their dogs go wherever, and you are more likely to step on deer poo than dog poo anyway. If I were in a town, I'd pick up if it were in someone else's yard or a kid's playground, etc. But things here are more "natural" and most people seem to consider poo=fertilizer.
    Because people don't want to step in it (do you know how hard it is to get out of your shoes??) nor do they want to smell it.

I feed my dog blue buffalo wilderness... before I was feeding her royal canine..she always had loose stools (2 years).. now that I've switched her they are normal I also feed her lots of primal leftovers and she's never been overweight.

I'd like to switch her to raw but its a lot more work! You cant just leave kibble in a bowl or have someone watch her and just give them kibble.. it goes bad, plus the time to find deals on it so you don't break the bank!

Maybe one day ...argh

My cat has a urinary track infection problem so he was put on a special formula and been fine since (5 years). So I'm a little weary about changing his diet. Although grain free might be what he needs to stay healthy too?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Metric is offline Senior Member
    With regards to dog poop. It is my BIGGEST pet peeve when people don't pick up after their dog in the city. If it's in the country and your neighbours don't give a shit, then that's a different thing entirely. I've stepped in dog shit that wasn't picked up in the city and it was not pleasant. Arg! Luckily most people are good at picking it up here.

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    With regards to dog poop. It is my BIGGEST pet peeve when people don't pick up after their dog in the city. If it's in the country and your neighbours don't give a shit, then that's a different thing entirely. I've stepped in dog shit that wasn't picked up in the city and it was not pleasant. Arg! Luckily most people are good at picking it up here.
    +1

It makes a HUGE difference in the city. In NYC we walk everywhere, and while this isn't the cleanest city (hello Seattle and Portland, Oregon) there are areas where there is ZERO pet mess on the ground and areas where you should probably just walk in the street, because there is sh*t lumped and smeared all over the sidewalk everywhere, sometimes on the welcome mat to the outer door of your small walkup! I guess it's a matter of scale.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I changed our cats to Halo Spot's Stew a while back because it didn't have wheat, and now to their grain-free formula (the previous was close, but not 100%). We also use World's Best Cat litter, it tracks the least and because we live in an extremely small space (an RV) that's huge for us. My oldest cat (14) scared me last week by refusing to use the litterbox, but I think it was because I was using the new lavender scented formula, which I didn't even like the smell of myself. When it ran out, she started using it again. We still have to be careful not to leave anything soft on the floor (rugs, clothing, etc.) so I do worry it's her kidneys or something, and I'm considering switching her to the wet version of Halo. They have a cat fountain, which takes up an absurd amount of space, but the 4yo will only drink fresh or moving water (??) and I worry about both staying well hydrated. Both cats will eat canned tuna (but their poo smells VILE after, lol), the 14yo will eat cooked chicken and the 4yo wants to smell raw chicken but not actually eat either one, so I'm not sure a raw diet would suit them. I know for a long time my 14yo turned up her nose at wet food, so I hope she'll come around.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I gather snails, worms, tadpoles, scuds, daphnia, cyclops, woodlice and other bugs/insects/etc. to feed to my fish, but it takes time, time, luck, good weather and more time to do that - so they get kibble most of the time and the real food ends up being more of an occasional treat.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    I don't recommend feeding kibble to any animal. Animals get a lot of their water through their food. Any animal that eats mostly kibble is at risk for bladder and kidney problems.

I make food for my two cats Maggie and Sammy. Maggie is about a year and a half and Sammy is coming up on a year. Maggie started out on conventional cat food when I lived with my parents, who had three other cats besides Maggie. I brought Maggie with me across the country when I moved to CA. We got Sammy shortly after. I put them both on a grain-free kibble and their crap stank like all get-out. Sammy was seriously bloated. I did some research and found out how terrible kibble is for animals, which is why I permanently changed to raw.

I started by adding bits of raw liver to their food, which my cats absolutely love. I gradually weaned them off the kibble and added more raw food until their diet was 100% raw.

The recipe I use for their food can be found on cat nutrition - home.

They are both beautiful. Shiny coats, healthy, happy, full of energy. They love their food and get very excited for food time.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Saw this story on the news today:

Behind The Wall - Stray dog follows bikers over 1,100 miles to Tibet

Such a sweet reminder of the loyalty of dogs, and how we evolved together . . . so it makes sense that we should feed our pets as well as we feed ourselves. It was, afterall, the scraps of paleo diets that first brought humans and the wolves that would come to be our domesticated dogs together in the first place.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Paleobird Guest
    woman's best freind.jpg
    This is my Primal Wolf Cub who stood by my side today as I trimmed all the gristly bits off a huge skirt steak. I just tossed bits on the floor and he ate them all. Not only that, the floor was cleaner than when we started. He has a feeder dish of grain and potato free kibble but he only eats it when the human food is scarce.

I call him my "portion control coach" because he is there reminding me towards the end of a meal that I really don't need to finish that last bit if I'm not hungry anymore. "You won't even have to find a tupperware to put it away and it won't go to waste. Here, let me take care of that for you."

And he licks off plates and broiler pans too. I use less soap and don't have to scrub much. Everybody's happy.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-30-2012 at 10:46 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I gather snails, worms, tadpoles, scuds, daphnia, cyclops, woodlice and other bugs/insects/etc. to feed to my fish, but it takes time, time, luck, good weather and more time to do that - so they get kibble most of the time and the real food ends up being more of an occasional treat.
    how many of these do you raise yourself? worms (earthworms & black worms), daphnia, vinegar eels, microworms, baby brine shrimp & water snails are super easy

also at pet stores there is usually frozen krill, beefheart & brine shrimp
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast