Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toe shoes page

catdance62 is offline Senior Member

toe shoes

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I have been a runner for many many years and have almost always worn Nike Pegasus or similar. I have extremely high rigid arches but require roomy toe box. i started Crossfit about 7 weeks ago and really enjoy it, however, I feel like I would benefit from wearing a different type of shoe. My husband wears some of those toe shoes (maybe Vibram?) and swears by them. Here is my problem: I tried them on in the store and cannot get my right pinkie toe untucked from the toe next to it enough to get in the shoe. My toe has always been like that, it tucks so far under the toe next to it you can't even see the nail. Should I force my toe to go in the shoe with popsicle stick or something? I don't even know if tht would work. Or, should I seek out the ones that have the last two toes together in the shoe? I really feel like a need a lighter shoe that will help my stability and these seem to be the answer because I already go barefoot a lot.
    Thanks in advance for any advice

Swilliam127 is offline Junior Member
    Some people usually have problems with the last toe, so you are not alone! It might just take some time for the toes to go easily into their respective toe pockets in the Vibrams, but they are the most minimal of the toe shoes, so you should go with them if you want to switch to toe shoe. (if that what you're asking for) For instance, the skele-toes (the 4 toe ones) are thick in the sole and do not allow a real foot feel/ motion like the vibrams

Metric is offline Senior Member
    My little toe tucks under too. (I've attached a picture). When I first started wearing Vibrams I would put my foot inside the shoe with my toes as close to the toe holes as possible, then I would use my fingers to move my toes (from the outside of the shoe) towards the appropriate toe hole and then slide my foot forward. Now, that I have had them for a few weeks, I generally can just spread my toes naturally and they slip into the right hole. I practiced separating my toes while sitting down. I think it helped.

Attachment 7650

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the advice. I might try the VIbrams. I just read a few reviews on some different sites including a running forum. I think I would use the Vibrams for Crossfit and keep my Pegs for running distances.
    Last edited by catdance62; 05-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I have a couple pairs. I think that I prefer the Komodo Sport LS over my Speed pair.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    I tried on two different pairs of Vibrams this weekend. My little toes were VERY unhappy. I couldn't get them off fast enough.

I went with a pair of Merrill Barefoots. VERY happy toes.

I also have a pair of Kigos which are very comfy too. However, they are so minimalist that I'm nervous wearing them in a crowd or any store with shopping carts.

Some feet just aren't made for Vibrams...

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I have that problem too, my two last toes on my feet seem to curve inwards. Probably due to wearing shoes with inadequate toe boxes my whole life.

To put on Vibrams you need to put your biggest toe in first, and work your way down. Don't put you heel in the shoe until all your toes are in place. When you get to your smaller toes, pinch between your toes through the fabric of the shoe to separate them, THEN push your foot in further into the toe slots.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    I prefer the Merrell Barefoot shoes too. I use Merrell Pace Gloves for running, and wear Merrell Wonder Gloves (a Mary-Jane style) to work (though lately I've been wearing a flat thong sandal - yaay summer!). TBH I never tried the Vibrams, but the Merrells work well for me and the toe box is plenty roomy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Merrells are great...have one pair for work and the other for play.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When you were little, if you lived in a cold climate, you probably had to wear mittens until you developed the ability to hold your fingers rigid and straight enough to put on a glove.

You've had your toes jammed in shoes for your entire life. You can learn to stretch them too, it just takes a little practice. Buy the Vibrams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast