Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question from a former vegetarian page 2

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Odd suggestion: you might actually get on better with organ meats - liver, kidney - than ordinary muscle meat, as they don't have the fibrous texture of muscle. If you have a friendly husband who will do the preparation for you at first, that helps, too.

(Former vegetarian of 20 years, vegan for about 18 months of that, now Primal for a couple of years and a whole lot lighter, stronger and healthier.)

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    It really wasn't that hard for me. Just start with small bacon cheeseburgers. The hardest thing for me is that I have never cooked much meat. I had to learn how to do roasts and steaks, and it takes more time because I am still timid.

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member
    I'm so glad you started this thread, I'm having the exact same trouble. I've been a vegetarian for 35 years (squeamishness + cruelty in CAFOs = vegetarian at 16!) and am having a hard time trying to eat animal flesh again. I'm doing this after seeing how healthy my husband has become after just 3 months paleo; I'm almost 51, and I feel this "pull" that I'm not getting enough good protein, and I want to be healthy.

I naturally love beans, cheese, nuts, tofu, and almost every veggie on planet. Giving up wheat doesn't bother me, but a life without beans and tofu? Not sure if I can do it.

Yesterday I ate half a can of tuna, but it was tough. For me, the more animal or fish taste something has, the more I don't like it. So you are not alone, believe me. The primal-ness of the smell, texture and taste is half the reason I went vegetarian in the first place!
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Again, thanks for all the great responses! I'm glad to know that there are so many ex-vegetarians here!

I love vegetarian food too. I'm like you, Forensic, I was relieved when I found out as a kid that there was such a thing as a vegetarian. But the sad truth (or at some point I'll think of it as the happy truth), is that I feel a lot better eating higher quality protein sources. So, here's something I am trying... you know how as vegetarians, we would sometimes eat "fake meat"... i.e., tofu or grains disguised to be sausage, bacon, chicken, fish, etc? Well, I've decided to think of the meat I'm attempting to eat now as fake tofu. Ha! I know, it's bizarre, but it does seem to help. As I'm chewing it, I just say to myself "it's just fake tofu, no problem here". It seems to mostly work. Although there are some textures I still can't deal with (like the shrimp my husband made last night, bleh). Anyway, you might want to give that a try?

Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    ....So, here's something I am trying... you know how as vegetarians, we would sometimes eat "fake meat"... i.e., tofu or grains disguised to be sausage, bacon, chicken, fish, etc? Well, I've decided to think of the meat I'm attempting to eat now as fake tofu. Ha! I know, it's bizarre, but it does seem to help. As I'm chewing it, I just say to myself "it's just fake tofu, no problem here". It seems to mostly work. Although there are some textures I still can't deal with (like the shrimp my husband made last night, bleh). Anyway, you might want to give that a try?
    I love that!! I just ate a can of tuna (disguised heavily with mayo, red peppers, and lots of Mrs Dash) and it was the texture that bothered me most, as I had obliterated all taste! The good thing with a wallop of 40 grams of protein, is that I'm too full to eat anything else.

I'll try your trick tomorrow! I've told myself, if I can just do tuna once a day, then I'll get the rest of my protein from cheese, yogurt, nuts, and the occasional bite of tofu until I can progress. Thanks again for this thread! PS: I have always detested shrimp, I doubt I'll ever try that unless held down and force-fed
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForensicArtist View Post
    I love that!! I just ate a can of tuna (disguised heavily with mayo, red peppers, and lots of Mrs Dash) and it was the texture that bothered me most, as I had obliterated all taste! The good thing with a wallop of 40 grams of protein, is that I'm too full to eat anything else.

I'll try your trick tomorrow! I've told myself, if I can just do tuna once a day, then I'll get the rest of my protein from cheese, yogurt, nuts, and the occasional bite of tofu until I can progress. Thanks again for this thread! PS: I have always detested shrimp, I doubt I'll ever try that unless held down and force-fed
    Why go with a gross canned fish? Go get a fresh salmon filet. Put some spices on it.. bake for 20-25m @ 350-375 and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
    Why go with a gross canned fish? Go get a fresh salmon filet. Put some spices on it.. bake for 20-25m @ 350-375 and enjoy!
    Because tuna was the only fish I would eat as a kid, I hated everything else! I figured the best route for me now would be to try the things I would eat then. I was extremely particular about meat/fish/chicken as a kid (everything had to be skinless, boneless, well-done or burnt-to-a-crisp) so this is a major big deal for me. BTW, I took a taste of broiled salmon the other day, but it was still too rich and "meaty" for me. As my husband tells me: "it's a process."
    Ask a Forensic Artist

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I'm exactly the same as you, Forensic. That's also the reason I am starting with canned tuna. I see my husband cook tuna on the grill and it just grosses me out. It's all pink in the middle, ugh! I tried his salmon the other day, which he assured me was fabulous, and the texture just didn't do it for me. Not at all. BUT... I have found that when he cooks mahi-mahi and cod, I really like it (if I tell myself that it's really just fish flavored tofu, ha). Tonight I am trying halibut which I'm going to put in a curry sauce that I'm making out of fresh coconuts, fresh turmeric and ginger, tomatoes, peppers, kaffir lime leaves, etc. I'm hoping it'll mask it enough that I'll be able to enjoy it. :-)

kimann79 is offline Member
    I was vegetarian for 12 years (two vegan and two months raw food vegan). The first time I ate a burger I cried...but I did it. I started with light tasting fish like cod. Moved to chicken breast then ground beef. After that I progressed to stronger flavored meats like salmon, dark meat poultry and venison. It took a while (it was a month of fish and chicken before I could do beef and three years before I could do venison) and I still haven't added in pork. I also only ate meat from local farms so I could see how "happy" the animals were. I still can't eat CAFO meats and probably never will.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Bacon definitely!

or go to Whole Foods and get a rotisserie chicken...mmmmm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast