Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Wine page

econ is offline Member

Red Wine

After reading Mark's "Definitive Guide on Alcohol" some time ago, I've been convinced that red wine is healthier than other types of alcohol. However, I still haven't really tried much red wine because I didn't really enjoy it in the past (I'm more of a beer snob and liquor kind of guy). But I really want to try more red wines and develop a palate for it (when my 21-30 day primal challenge is through, that is). So, I come to you guys asking: What red wines would you recommend for a complete beginner? Thanks in advance!

snoops is online now Senior Member
    I would try a pinot noir - weak assed crap as my husband says - but it is lighter than the cabernets/merlots. And apparently the pinot noirs have the highest levels of resveratrol which is the good stuff that red wine supposedly has.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Chilean merlot is smooth and quite light. Some merlots taste great and less rich when lightly chilled.

I can't tolerate much red wine myself, but my tolerance seems to be improving, so I'm hoping I'll be able to indulge a little more often.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Mike in Virginia is online now Senior Member
    snoops is right: pinot noir has the highest levels of resveratrol. But to be at its best, pinot noir needs to age longer than other red varietals, and tends to be more expensive for the same quality. For a very good value, i.e., combination of price and quality, I like Canyon Oaks cabernet sauvignon.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I love California syrah and cab Sav and Italian Amarone della Valpolicella Classico. I generally stick to vintages, but as a noob, ease yourself into wine. When I first started drinking wine, I really liked Australian merlots. They were sweeter... Now I prefer dry, full bodied tannic reds.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Trader Joe's has 2-buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) which is not bad at all if you get the Syrah or Merlot.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

katemary is offline Senior Member
    I agree re pinot. where are you?what you getmay be limitedby what is sold or available where you are. If you can, a NZ pinot is the best!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by katemary View Post
    I agree re pinot. where are you?what you getmay be limitedby what is sold or available where you are. If you can, a NZ pinot is the best!
    All Pinot noirs are great IMO. Try a south african pinotage sometime if you can find one (They sell them at Bevmo here).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit that despite living very close to where they filmed that movie about that really good pinot noir, (what was it called? Sideways?) I'm not a big fan of it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Metric is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have to admit that despite living very close to where they filmed that movie about that really good pinot noir, (what was it called? Sideways?) I'm not a big fan of it.
    Ditto. I'm not a pinot fan. I've tried some from around the world... not my fav for sure. Also, there are some pretty decent Portuguese red wine: Touriga Nacional and they are pretty cheap generally.
    Starting Weight: 208 lbs
    Current Weight: 166.8 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast