Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Wine page 2

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    pinot is pretty good, but there are lot of reds out there that i think are just more fun. a good malbec is great for someone who is new to wine; it's bold and fruity. petit syrah or shiraz are also good varieties to try.

just like with beer, wine can have a lot of subtle nuances that can be affected by the smallest thing, particularly what you are eating. you've really got to experience some different kinds to figure out what you like. just don't buy in to the whole more money means better wine idea...some of the best wines i've had have been under $20 a bottle.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Also, wines aged in french oak seem to be very sweet to me (at least the ones that I have tried). However, you being new to wine, it may be something that you might enjoy.

apple is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think it would be much harder to start a red wine love affair in the heat of summer. White wine is cooler, but I don't like white wine much, though, so I don't drink it.

The best way to drink a little red wine when it's hot out is to drink the Spanish drink "tinto de verano" which is 1 part fruity red wine to 1 part lemon or lime seltzer water with ice. Lemon wedge garnish is also good, but not essential.

Bonus: you can have 2 drinks for the caloric price of 1!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. I too decided, well then, I better drink red wine even though I have never liked it in the past. Some 25 bottles later and I still don't like it. I am going back to some dry whites, gin with perrier, and random shots of tequila.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    Lulu B. (Lulu B. Wine | Our Varietals) Inexpensive Pinot Noir, quite drinkable.
    Castiglioni (Frescobaldi Castiglioni Chianti Tuscan wine Red wines from Tuscany - Frescobaldi Italian wine) Chianti, and reasonably priced.
    Cesari Amarone (2007 Cesari Amarone Valpolicella Classico - SKU 1067547) More expensive and delicious. It'll also steal your car and leave you lying shit-faced in a ditch.
    Mara Cesari (The Independent Wine Review: Wine Review: Cesari “Mara” Valpolicella Superiore Ripasso DOC (2008)) Valpolicella Superiore Ripasso

econ is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Personally, I think it would be much harder to start a red wine love affair in the heat of summer. White wine is cooler, but I don't like white wine much, though, so I don't drink it.
    Good thinking -- maybe I'll focus on white first.

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Some 25 bottles later and I still don't like it. I am going back to some dry whites, gin with perrier, and random shots of tequila.
    Haha -- nice! I like the gin and perrier idea, so I'll definitely try that. I also like whiskey and rum, so that always works. If all else fails, I'll just find a way to squeeze in some beer lol.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    drinking red wine because it's good for you is kinda coming at this from the wrong end.

i work as a sommelier and for a complete noob, i'd suggest googling some of your local wine shops to find out when they hold tastings. they're usually free and you'll get to try a few ounces of different wines, at zero cost. if you find something you like, buy it. if not, try again at the next tasting.

different people like different things. for example, i can't stomach california pinot noir, finding it overbearing and out of character. but i could drink many pinots from oregon and just about any red burgundy all day.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Mark West Pinot Noir...start there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12