Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with my flat ass page 2

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaLeaf View Post
    You may want to do a review of your posture. Take a look at Esther Gokhale's book. Many people tuck their pelvis when standing which gives the ass a flat appearance and is also bad posture.
    Interesting! Checking it out now.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Though, I can squat press nearly 300 lbs. as it is (nice quads, but still no butt).
    The first link in this thread talks about this, actually. It says that if you're not squatting low enough, it'll just work your quads but won't get the glutes developed. You might want to check that out and check your form.

(I'm also glad I'm not the only person with this problem!)

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

I'd still love some advice about how to build up my glutes without my tailbone hurting so much! Anyone?

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend running sprints. Especially hill sprints.

The gluteus muscles in humans evolved to be so huge compared to those of other mammals, because it provides stability when running upright, in lieu of a tail. There are several exercises that specifically target the gluteus, but running is a good compound exercise which will save you time and effort. I'd personally rather do 10 mins sprinting like crazy, than 20 mins doing butt-clenching moves!

I get a pain in the butt frequently, caused by sciatica, but it is the 'transferred pain' type of sciatica, not related to spinal damage. Basically, pain from too much sitting around! I found that since starting running and eating primally, it hurts less often. Get your butt x-rayed, to rule out anything more serious like a slipped disc.
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 05-29-2012 at 01:11 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I suggest that the tailbone hurts because of the tucking process. So many women do it (though it is unusual in women in general, a lot of people do it -- usually men, but a lot of women too).

I suppose a good yoga teacher could help you get the proper alignment of the pelvis (which is neutral rather than tucked under or released back through most yoga poses, as well as in regular standing posture).

At least, that's what it sounds like to me.

Reliance is offline Junior Member
    Hi Ommmmaggie,
    I can totally relate to your sorrow. as, at one time, I too was with flat ass i'm your height, 5 "10", 148pds approx., 15-17% body fat. But, last Fall I was 138pds (unknown bf) and worked with a personal trainer.
    I pumped heavy once a week , very heavy, cried sometimes and eat, eat a lot, too much (gained over 20pds) but in the long run, ..........it was all worth it as I grew muscle and today my butt is finally "coming in"...very pleased. PUMP HEAVY!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaLeaf View Post
    You may want to do a review of your posture. Take a look at Esther Gokhale's book. Many people tuck their pelvis when standing which gives the ass a flat appearance and is also bad posture.
    Ding ding ding. The other advice is great in general, but the bottom line is that you need to learn how to stand and walk with an anterior pelvic tilt.

Depth in the squat may be the issue, but it may just be the fact that you need to really begin to use much heavier weights. If you are mostly doing bodyweight exercises it will probably not be enough stimulus.

Have you tried using dumbbells and going as low as possible with good form?

You may also respong better to deadlifts.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Fuck yeah. My butt sticks out in that tight, perfect C shape. Didn't do that until I started heavy lifting with squats and deadlifts.

You have to get used to the squats initially in order to perfect your form, so just start out doing just bar on all the exercises until you get it right. I don't see how, with proper form, your tailbone would hurt.

To the person who does the 300lb squat press: most likely because you're doing a front squat. Those utilize your legs a lot more than a back squat because it works fewer muscles overall, especially in the hip area. You might want to switch to back squats for a while?

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Well, the Sir Mix-A-Lot prescription -- red beans and rice -- isn't very primal...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast