Thread: Finally, a liver recipe my 5 yo would eat. page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Finally, a liver recipe my 5 yo would eat.

Made liver yesterday in sweet and sour sauce.

1 lbs of liver, lightly browned in animal fat and removed from pan.

Then sweated onions in some fat with a touch of pepper, added 5 oz tomato paste, 10 oz of pineapple chunks with juice (no sugar added), some Worcestershire & soy sauce (if you have coconut aminos, lucky you!) and chili-garlic paste, and a few sprigs of basil. Zooped in the magic bullet (child objects onion chunks, but never notices the flavor when it is hidden). Mixed it all back together, and served over spinach. Hubby not a fan (doesn't like sweeter tomato sauces), but baby ate it and said she liked it. Who knows, next time she will probably hate it....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Leonharte is offline Member
    I'll have to save that for later, and cook on a night when the housemates can't see what I'm cooking. Liver surprise!
    Starting weight: 90kg (11/3/13) (33.1 BMI)
    Current weight: 89.5kg (12/3/13) (32.9 BMI)
    Goal weight: 75kg (27.5 BMI)
    Short term goal: BMI under 30
    Mid term goal:
    40 pushups, 100 situps, 10 pullups, 10.1 beep test, >10m 2.4km run
    Long term goal: Enlist as an ARA Combat Engineer

OMG, tonight is a liver night again... we shall experiment again! I am thinking about making some sort of squash and liver and cheese combo, possibly with coconut milk. Sweet spaghetti squash should work with liver, right? RIGHT???

I was running out of cheese, so added a bit of egg white for 'body' in the squash, and that was the only thing kid complained about. She told me to use more cheese. Had no problems with liver, though she still likes Squasheroni a la Navy (with ground beef_ more. Squash and cheese... a recipe for a happy 5 yo, apparently.

Tried liver curry with indian eggplant, zuccini, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, wonderful!!! Kid ate some, too spicy. Adults loved it!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Tried liver curry with indian eggplant, zuccini, cauliflower, carrots and broccoli, wonderful!!! Kid ate some, too spicy. Adults loved it!
    This sounds like a way I may be able to tolerate liver. Could you go into the specifics about your recipe a bit?

It is a bit 3-tiered, but here is what i did:

Cut up in quarters about a couple of lbs of indian eggplants (small round ones) and 2 small zucchinis and roasted them a while under broiler with coconut oil

Meanwhile, in a deep, huge frying pan, I sweated 2 medium finely chopped onions with 3 carrots and about a pound of bite sized cauliflower. In a small pan I roasted 3 green cardamon pods, with a tbsp or so of cumin seeds, 4 red chilli peppers (dry) and 4 or 5 bay leaves till fragrant. Once onions, carrots and cauliflower got a bit soft I dumped eggplant and zuccs in, added the roasted spices in, added a generous serving of curry powder (a couple of tbsp) and some water and covered to simmer.

Then I finely chopped my liver (2 lbs, I believe), about 1/2 inch pieces, browned it for a few moments to not quite done, stirring constantly.

Then I added a 5 oz can of tomato paste and about 1/2 cup of coconut milk in, mixed it in, adjusted spice with tumeric and more curry powder and added liver. Mixed it all up, let cook for a moment combined, added chopped cilantro and served.

For non Primal folks I served it on burgul wheat (which officially made my house wheat-free! Wee! This leftover burgul was there forever and ever), but for myself I served it over spinach.

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks!

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonharte View Post
    I'll have to save that for later, and cook on a night when the housemates can't see what I'm cooking. Liver surprise!
    That is cruel and mean.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal