Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nixxy's home page

nixxy is offline Senior Member

Nixxy's home

Primal Fuel
    Thought I better start keeping a bit of a thread for myself to be able to look back on things; see what's working, what's not.

I'm 21, and live in NZ. I lived on a farm for some of my life, and currently live in the city working & studying. I'm a bit of a jack of all trades, I have studied almost every field in science/business and don't really know what I'll graduate with.

We grew up with simple foods in my house. My family is the first generation to move away from the farm. My whole family is average in a lot of ways - average heights, average weights, average health. Myself and my siblings are all of medium build, tend to put on muscle reasonably easy, but also gain weight reasonably easy. We've all gone through phases of being a bit overweight - unfortunately right now I'm more than overweight. My siblings are, fortunately for them, at ages now where they're in control of their nutrition and are at optimum health basically - low body fat, minimal health issues, and not afraid of animal fats and protein.

So how did I end up here? Well I was heavily into sport when I was younger. My main sport was rowing, which dominated my life for a number of years. We overtrained, quite simply. We'd be down at the club 6 days a week on average, sometimes our entire weekends were rowing. I ate what I wanted, but was usually pretty good. Had a bit of a sweet tooth though. My body fat percentage was at a good level, and I weighed around 145lb (66 kg) once I was at my adult height (5ft6 / 1.68m).

Basically, what happened after that was a bit of a nightmare. I don't want to drag out the sordid affair right now (may edit this and add it in later) but basically, my whole life turned around in under a year. I gained 90 lb (40kg) rapidly, in about 8 months from memory. I stopped caring about my health or weighing myself and turned into a binge monster. I stopped all sport and physical activity. I basically stopped functioning as a human. Once I sort of got my head back in the game, I started working out 4-5 times a week and restricting calories (not paying attention to quality of calories). I'd lose a few lb here and there but I'd always give up because it was too hard. I started resenting myself for my lack of willpower and it really affected my self esteem and how I saw myself. I began to really lose respect for myself due to this perceived lack of discipline. Slowly over the next 2 years I ballooned even more, by about another 40lb (18kg). This resulted in my peak weight of 282.4 lb (128.1kg) earlier this year (sometime in January). While this ballooning was happening, I was hardly the epitome of an over eater. I'd generally max out at 2200 cals a day (which was around my basal metabolic rate), except for the days where I'd have a binge and inhale an entire block of chocolate (probably happened about once a fortnight). I can only blame the creeping weight gain on my large carbohydrate intake and insulin resistance and a messed up metabolism inside - those calories on their own, in a healthy body, shouldn't have resulted in such weight gain.

With all this weight, came new problems that I became very good at brushing off. Stretch marks, double chins, rashes, infections, stomach pains, occasional chest pains, terrible fatigue, constant dark circles under my eyes, bad skin. On their own, minor problems, but together, they only multiplied my self hatred. I am a good manipulator - and unfortunately I used that power on myself and would convince myself I was fine. I sometimes feel like I'm the opposite of an anorexic. Deep down, I know damn well that I'm obese and unhealthy - but DAMN am I good at brushing it off and telling myself it's okay sometimes. The levels of acceptance of facts about yourself are obviously hugely important. I covered my self hatred, declining health & mental state, and general dissatisfaction with life with a fake personality designed to make life bearable. I sometimes don't even know who I am.

Once I eventually took my health problems seriously, I started looking into dairy and gluten intolerance. I had a lot of stomach upset and the recurring rashes and skin issues that seemed to have "no explanation" just weren't alright. I started eliminating dairy & gluten, and did feel better. This didn't result in any weightloss over the year I did it though, as I was using gluten-free substitutes which are very high carb, and I still tried to eat low fat. (interesting post on wheat belly blog about gluten free processed foods - resulting in abdominal fat, spikes in blood sugar, really high carb, etc etc - definitely fell victim to this!).

At the start of this year, I decided things had to change. I knew my life was being held back by this - as much as I tried to tell myself it wasn't. I always loved researching random health things (such as the dairy/gluten stuff) so found myself reading for hours and hours, which is how I came across paleo/primal schools of thought. I knew it had to be a real lifestyle change because I know I don't do diets. I have literally never lost weight before. I am a resilient balloon - reluctant to deflate... but trust me, once I do, I will NOT be re-inflating. Because of cutting dairy & gluten previously I didn't find the transition overly difficult.

In about 3 months (my official primal start was March 19) I have lost about 35 lb (~16 kg). My health problems are improving, but have a way to go yet. My first goal is 227 lb (103kg)... and will be the lowest weight I have been in about 4 years, and will be the lowest weight I've been since getting fat in the first place, after the initial huge weight gain.

My weightloss has averaged about 2.2 - 3 lb a week (1 - 1.3kg). I tend to go through periods of loss and stop, so it's not really that smooth.

I'm currently experimenting with carb levels and I think I've identified I respond best to very low carb. Any rise over 50g daily seems to result in slowed weight loss (1 - 2 lb weekly) and anything over 100g seems to stop weightloss entirely.

I use intermittent fasting, and workout only when I feel like it, which is usually 3-4 times a week.
    Last edited by nixxy; 10-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.

KimT is offline Senior Member
    You are doing great! The pics show the progress you're making. Wanted to stop by to encourage you and say way to go and stick with it!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome home Nixxy! I hope to see you in Mark's Success Story series one of these days.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Thanks guys, for stopping in on my little thread
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

My food diary today...

So today I weighed myself and it wasn't good news... these days with carbs over 100g really don't agree well with the scales. I struggle to get my calorie intake high enough eating under 50g of carbs though. But anyway, my last 2 days have been high calorie cycling so today I'm gonna drop it low (lol) and tomorrow go medium.

Breakfast: Green tea, 2x fried egg in coconut oil
    Lunch: 4oz skin-on salmon, grilled broccoli
    Dinner: 4oz steak, with mixed salad incl. raw almonds

I'll be at work til 8pm and it's hard to bring appropriate food... that steak will be eaten cold!

Breakdown:
    Fat: 42g
    Carbs: 17g
    Protein: 75g

Calorie ratio: 51:10:39

Tomorrow I'll step it up but keep my carbs under 50g again, I really think that's the trick for me to drop weight. I'll keep it under 50g for the next 4 days then let it go up again over the weekend

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

So I basically ended up eating what I planned yesterday, but carbs ended up at 27g. Still under 50 so I'm happy.

Ugh, sometimes I really don't understand things. My weight is UP from just under a week ago, and I really don't know why. Between then and now, I've had about 4 days eating higher calorie with higher carbs than normal, and 2 days eating lower calorie & low carb. And I've been to the gym twice, and everyday I've been drinking water. The only non-primal things I've had has been a small amount of rice, and a biscuit with my grandma. I wouldn't have even been eating as much as my basal metabolic rate on average. HOW CAN I POSSIBLY HAVE GAINED WEIGHT??

Body, I just don't get you sometimes.

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Well, things are movin' pretty slowly!! I have only really lost about a pound or so over the last 3-4 weeks.

I have a feeling this is a previous set point though, I think I sat at this weight for a good few months a year or two ago. Perhaps that is why I'm stalling. I think a few recent changes I've made lately might be too good to be true as well, and I might need to go back to how I was eating before to see more losses.

I think I'm still reshaping well and possibly getting a bit musclier? I really need to go get my body fat % checked properly.
    Last edited by nixxy; 06-15-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

AbigailLyn is offline Senior Member
    Hi Nixxy! Just swinging by to say heeeeeeey!!!!

If you need calorie uppers, my breakfast is usually where I pack on most of them (and - I think - it's still pretty low carb). Try throwing in a few more eggs or some meet to your morning? I also drink Bulletproof coffee, which most people I know think is the-most-revolting-think-ever-how-could-you-put-butter-NEAR-my-coffee but has a ridiculous energy boost for me and curbs my cravings for other things. It's an added 2 tbsp of butter so I'm sure there are some calories there as well How is your calorie count? If it's too low for too many days your body might think it's starving and stop shedding the pounds.

but hey, your progress pics look great! 35 lbs in 3 months is no small feat!

Quote Originally Posted by AbigailLyn View Post
    Hi Nixxy! Just swinging by to say heeeeeeey!!!!

If you need calorie uppers, my breakfast is usually where I pack on most of them (and - I think - it's still pretty low carb). Try throwing in a few more eggs or some meet to your morning? I also drink Bulletproof coffee, which most people I know think is the-most-revolting-think-ever-how-could-you-put-butter-NEAR-my-coffee but has a ridiculous energy boost for me and curbs my cravings for other things. It's an added 2 tbsp of butter so I'm sure there are some calories there as well How is your calorie count? If it's too low for too many days your body might think it's starving and stop shedding the pounds.

but hey, your progress pics look great! 35 lbs in 3 months is no small feat!
    Hi, thanks for stopping by

I do the large breakfasts quite often too, they're good aren't they! Usually bacon and eggs or a huge omelet with salmon. But I'm unfortunately not normally a breakfast person, I often don't feel like eating til about 12.
    I'd be interested in trying bulletproof but I've never really been a coffee drinker... hmmm.
    Yes I suspect it has been too low because over the last 3 days I have eaten more than usual (no non-primal though) and have suddenly dropped a few lb... interesting.

Thanks! It's encouraging for me to see the pics because numbers on a scale are sometimes deceiving I think!

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bought some new clothes today, yahoo. Not primal I know but it is exciting for me because of THE SIZE. UK14/US10 baby!!! That's my top half only though, no way would my butt fit into a UK14/US10 right now. So wicked though, I feel like I did in high school, buying normal people sized clothes that is :|
    Obviously they don't look 100% amazing on with my bulges and bumps here and there but they're styles I really like (getting bigger clothing in cool styles is not easy) and they'll only look better and better as I shrink! I purposely bought things that won't look baggy/too big until I've lost at least another 40lb or so, by which time they'll be out of fashion I imagine!

Foodwise... Lots of bacon lately! Also been experimenting with pork, which I never really use to eat. Dropped my nuts back a bit as well.. I wonder if that's contributed to my recent weight drop....

Can't wait to reach my 227 milestone.. 69% of the way there now. I haven't been that weight since I got fat in the first place, about 4 years ago now. Change is exciting and scary at the same time. I keep having terrifying dreams... I don't normally read into that stuff too much but Mr. Internet says the content of my dreams is about new beginnings and new phases of life.... innnnnnteresting.

Current PRs:

My blog
    My journal

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast