Thread: Advice on cross fitness page

Kattkovacs is offline Member

Advice on cross fitness

I am thinking about starting crossfitness.
    I do not want to overtrain or over work my body ... is this a good plan?

LintonMerle is offline Junior Member
    cross fitness training is a combination of different routines in order to create variety in your workout. Experts in sports medicine consider this as a more holistic and balanced way of achieving health and fitness in a relatively shorter period of time.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    I personally do not like cross fit, but I have different goals than most people. If you are worried about over training just do it two days a week, or make your own regimen if you are not physically fit already, they will push you in cross fit and it's a real easy way to tear a muscle if you don't workout already.

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    I love crossfit. Started at 2x a week and now do it 3x a week. It's up to you how often you go, so you won't overtrain unless you want to. Just find a good box. The first one I attended really pushed people and I didn't like that. My new box is amazing and they're all about form and will NOT let you go up in weight until you get your form down. There is no pushing you at all and if you don't feel like going up in weight then you don't.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    I'm a CF outsider, so take my comments with a grain of sodium. It seems that a system like that could do you harm.
    As sugarcrystal said the quality of the boxes seems to vary. Combine inexperience (on your part) with a lack of coaching or focus on form on their part, with reps at speed, or explosive movements and you probably have a higher risk of injury.

In other boxes they might be quite expert at keeping it safe for you. Some programming is probably more dangerous than others. It just seems quite variable to me. Upsides will be the variety, motivation of doing it in a group and satisfaction of getting through a hard workout.

I have to respect Cross-Fitters intensity.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    As sugarcrystal said the quality of the boxes seems to vary. Combine inexperience (on your part) with a lack of coaching or focus on form on their part, with reps at speed, or explosive movements and you probably have a higher risk of injury.
    Exactly what happened to me at my box: my inexperience led to poor form and the wrong weight -- and I hurt my back. YMMV.