Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Realistic goal for a teenager? page 2

Gavin is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the reply. What does SS, S+M, and SL mean?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What does SS, S+M, and SL mean?
    SS = Starting Strength (best overall program, IMO)
    S+M = Squats and Milk (will easily put on 20lbs of muscle)
    SL = Strong Lifts (similar to SS)

EggbertHeadleton is offline Junior Member
    SS= Starting Strength. It is a book and a name for a strength program. Google it.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Using 1 in a billion genetic examples is generally not helpful.

A late-teenage male who has not lifted weights gaining 20lbs of muscle over a summer is not only common, it's expected if they do a reasonable program(SS, S+M or SL) correctly. In fact, if one didn't, I'd be slightly concerned.
    I'm assuming no growth. If he grows, then yes, 20 pounds could be easy. If he doesn't grow at all, 20 pounds of muscle is 20 pounds of muscle.

I don't see why I would want to set one's goals based upon then having a growth spurt though.

How do you know what Herschel's genetics are? He was a fat kid before he started working out. I can rattle off tons more that were out of shape, unhealthy individuals before they dedicated themself to health and transformed their bodies. Jack LaLanne...sickly teenager. Teddy Roosevelt...sickly kid.

I'm not saying he will be the next Herschel either. However, if doing what Herschel did maximized his epigenetic expression, why wouldn't this guy doing the same thing maximize his own epigenetic expression?
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-30-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Seriously? Is this the only thing you post? That and how to determine normal blood sugar. Oh, I shouldn't forget the BBS supercharged workout. Do you receive kickbacks from McGuff?

BBS is a good book and I enjoy reading the science behind it but it isn't the holy grail of exercise.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I'm assuming no growth. If he grows, then yes, 20 pounds could be easy. If he doesn't grow at all, 20 pounds of muscle is 20 pounds of muscle.

I don't see why I would want to set one's goals based upon then having a growth spurt though.

How do you know what Herschel's genetics are? He was a fat kid before he started working out. I can rattle off tons more that were out of shape, unhealthy individuals before they dedicated themself to health and transformed their bodies. Jack LaLanne...sickly teenager. Teddy Roosevelt...sickly kid.

I'm not saying he will be the next Herschel either. However, if doing what Herschel did maximized his epigenetic expression, why wouldn't this guy doing the same thing maximize his own epigenetic expression?
    As Rippetoe says "Professional athletes are genetically sorted", meaning that there is a genetic prerequisite to be a pro athletes. The NFL drafts in part on bloodlines- that's how important genetics are. Most of those genetically gifted people are able to play for a few years. Walker took up a new professional sport @ 50. He's a genetic freak. The exercise may have activated those genes, but not everyone has them.
    Last edited by Apex Predator; 05-31-2012 at 07:49 AM.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the Herschel Walker reference was referring to him being famous for working out without weights. I'm not sure how Jack LaLanne & Teddy Roosevelt worked out, so maybe that is relevant too.

I'm on board with those that think summers are for girls (or boys), beer and friends. I think a well planned fitness goal is a great idea to fill the time, but make sure, above all else, you enjoy this summer. You only have a few true summers left. Once you are grown, summer breaks are just something you wish still came around...
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12