Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Journal of a Primal CO Girl page 5

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Day 2 of my Ramp-Up class, we had a 3rd girl join us. She seems nice - definitely experienced in running. We did some foam rolling that was, for me, super painful but in a good way. LOL. Clearly I've been needing that for a while.

WOD
    200 m run
    Push Press (35 lbs.)
    Deadlift (45 lbs.)

12 - 9 - 6

The run was my worst part, but I pushed myself to keep my legs moving. I think being gased from that made my push press less quality, but I still think I could have done a little more than 35 lbs. The deadlift was, for me - even after running, too easy at 45 lbs. I didn't feel it was a challenge at all, even still winded from the running. But hey - everyone's gotta start somewhere, and now I know better where I'm weak (cardio) and where I'm strong (any weights involving squatting) and where to go on both aspects from here.

My time was 8:20.

Started a 20 hour fast after dinner tonight. Gonna fast all day tomorrow and then just eat something small before going back for Day 3. (We're going back to back for Thursday and Friday). Almost one whole week already done, 3 WODs under my belt and I feel better and better after each one.

I'm not sure of the science either, but I think the workouts are improving my leptin response as well. I am feeling more full without trying. Today I had to force myself to eat 1500 calories because I was feel so satiated. (And that was even including some empty grain based calories in a piece of gluten free cake).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

It's been a couple weeks since starting CrossFit - I haven't lost any weight but I have made some noticeable gains in strength!

Today we did 3 power cleans EVMOM for 9 minutes and then in the last minute tried to get as many as we could with good form in that 60 seconds - I did it at 55 lbs. to start, then went up to 60 after two minutes, then up to 65 for the last few minutes. I did 8 reps in the final minute.

Before that WOD we did a plank challenge - 3 planks for as long as possible with a minute rest between. I did 3:35, 1:35 and 1:45 for my times - and I impressed myself with those numbers! I think practicing yogic breathing really helped. I just zoned out and focused on my breathing and the time passed pretty quickly. I trembled some and my shoulders hurt - but I got through it. I'd like to try for five minutes next time we do a plank challenge.

I am doing a Whole 30 during the month of March. Last night I went and got my groceries for the challenge so I'm ready to hit the ground running on Friday. (Esp. important since I'm observing Sabbath for Lent, which means no cooking on Saturday - so I need to make enough food on Friday to get through both days).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Life update . . . had to give up CrossFit (for now) because I could no longer afford it after having to pay for two ER trips for abdominal pain and now for further testing. On the one hand, I'm glad to be getting to a diagnosis for why pretty "normal" food seems to do such a number on my digestion - on the other hand, it's expensive AND in order to get an accurate diagnosis I haven't been eating anything close to primal for a few months now - and I miss it. My allergies are much worse this year than last and my digestion problems are continuing. But of course, that's the point right now.

The top contenders are celiac, IBD (Crohn's or UC) or the dreaded non-committal IBS.

I've been doing some reading up on FODMAPs and all that good stuff and I've made plans for a healing elimination diet for the first 3 weeks after I get my endoscopy and colonoscopy done. Regardless of the diagnosis I hope that this will speed me on the way to healing. And down the road will make it possible for me to eat more foods and just be "regular" paleo/primal all the time.

(This from a girl who could barely manage 80/20. But paying all these medical bills is a real wake up call. While 80/20 worked for a while, there is clearly more going on that needs more treatment than just a mostly good diet.)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    A couple ladies on the forum recently discovered that they have fructose malabsorption and all the intestinal issues that went with it. Look into that and see if any of the symptoms sound familiar. Both are doing very well on just meat for now. Normal BM's, etc.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

I have the added problem that I can't go too low carb because I have no gallbladder. I've tried ketosis type diets a couple times, and both times I was off within a couple days because of problems digesting all that fat. While ox bile supplementation can help some - it's very difficult for me to take (as I have a hard time swallowing pills that are any bigger than an Advil) . . . so I try to stick to moderate carbs 50-100g/day to keep me from having even more problems. Believe me, if I'd known 4 years ago what I know now - I would have waited before having my gallbladder removed and tried dietary treatment for it first. (Esp. since I'd love to be able to eat low carb, for weight loss and diabetes risk sake).

Today I really hit a wall of feeling sick of being sick though. I am currently eating a SAD diet for the sake of getting an accurate diagnosis - and it is just draining me. I'm foggier mentally, get the afternoon energy slump that last into the evening. (Basically I only feel like I have good energy levels from 9:30am-12:30pm and it's all down hill from there). My sleep hasn't been as good - I used to be sleeping great - but now I'm having a harder time falling and staying asleep. And my seasonal allergies are worse this year than they have been in any time since I moved back to CO 5 years ago. I want to get on my paleo gut-healing diet TODAY - but I am afraid to because my endoscopy testing isn't for another 3 weeks and I want to get an accurate diagnosis. Without a diagnosis I'm afraid I may end up having to go through all this testing again down the road if I have a flare up or something, despite returning, full-bore, to paleo.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Less than two weeks until I finally get my test and can go back to paleo for good.

Been checking out recipes on Pinterest and I know I'm ready for paleo because I have been breezing over those cupcake recipes without a second thought.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Starting a 21 Day Pick Your Poison Paleo Challenge with friends (and some strangers) on Facebook - (In case anyone wants to join us, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/504561269619821) . . .

Since I check facebook more often than I do paleo forums I hope this support and shared experience will make the 21 day elimination phase of my return to paleo a bit easier. It starts one week from today.

Only 6 more days until I get my endoscopy testing - but the last couple days have been pretty mild symptom wise, so I'm starting to worry that I won't get an accurate diagnosis, despite eating crap food for two months now. That would break my heart. I'm going back to paleo after the tests, regardless - but I'm just praying for an accurate diagnosis.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Oh - And I went to the natural foods store down the road and stocked up on some serious goodies in preparation for my healing diet starting a week from today:

Ghee
    Cultured pastured butter (it's the first dairy I plan to reintroduce)
    Gluten free full spectrum sea salt (shockingly, not all brands are certified gluten free, and since celiac is still on the table, I've got to be careful with even my seasonings)
    Wild caught salmon and cod
    Canned wild caught tuna and salmon
    Pastured chicken
    Grassfed ground beef
    Coconut butter
    Raw macadamia nuts (these are the first nut I plan to reintroduce)

I plan to get my veggies and fruit when I go to pick up the prep at the supermarket pharmacy. (MoviPrep, doesn't that sound lovely? :/)

I also ordered the GAPs recommend probiotic, MCT-oil (because I have no gallbladder), and fermented cod liver oil. I just hope they arrive in good shape and my landlord can get them to be quickly - with the summer heat I'm worried that if any of them sit on the stoop for too long they will go bad.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Decided to start a new journal for this journey. Since my circumstances have changed from my first post in this log significantly and over a year has passed - I think it's time to start a new log not just about my weight loss (which is why I originally started primal eating) but also my gut healing and just general health overhaul.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    See you in the new journal. I did the same.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345