Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Primal CO Girl page 4

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sounds like your dog is allergic to egg like mine is. No vomiting for us but he does get boils between the pads of his feet and blisters on the nether regions.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Hi there from the front range Just read your journal through. I guess your dog doesn't do egg - ours devours them. I love to give her the ones that the chickens hid away from me and that are too old to be sure they are ok for us. It is fun watching her get the shell broken - she's an old pro now, but it took her a while to figure that out in the beginning. What kind of dog do you have? I know that raw chicken legs are a fun food - raw any meat actually. But the raw bones are good for them too - great for the digestion!

Very nice to get the credit card to get real food! Enjoy! Hope you can find some folk your age and with some similar interests to connect with - life is just way more fun with friends to do stuff with! We moved here last December and are still trying to find folk to connect with. Loneliness can be pretty stressful too ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to Colorado!

I have a shih-tzu who is almost 7 years old. She has been grain-free for a week now so I tried some raw food again by giving her the scraps from my jerky making today . . . so we'll see how she handles raw beef as compared to raw egg. I'm reading a raw diet book at the moment and it suggests raw chicken wings for small dogs, so I think I might buy some the next time I'm grocery shopping if she handles the raw beef okay.

I suppose it's also possible that the conventional chew bone that was grain based might have also contributed to her barf-fest . . . . so I may try egg again in small amounts in the future.

Starting Couch to 5k today. I decided that it would help motivate me to workout as the 5k I'll be training for is for a cause I support a lot - ovarian cancer. My grandmother died from it and my mom had a hysterectomy to prevent it. I tried to find one for leukemia, since my dad has that, but couldn't. They do have a tri for that though - so maybe after my 5k, the next year I'll do a tri for the leukemia and lymphoma society.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Love my Couch to 5k Anroid app, it tells you when to walk, when to jog, syncs with my music on my phone and uses GPS to track my distances. What more could you want? Totally worth the $2 paid.

China, my pooch, had no ill reactions to the raw beef I fed her yesterday and I fed her another of those chew bones too - so it must have been the egg. I'll avoid that in the future and stick with raw beef and small RMBs for the days and meals that she gets raw.

My grandfather passed away this morning so we are heading down to the "west Texas town of El Paso" on Wednesday. I wasn't that close to him, and I actually had a few truly negative experiences with him - BUT I want to be there for my family and I am mourning for their loss more than anything. Especially my grandmother, who is a saint and one of my heroes, who lost her spouse of more than 60 years. If you're the praying kind - I'd appreciate the prayers for my dad, aunts and uncle, for my grandmother and for safe travels.

In other news - I started a new blog today to fill a hole that I've noticed while transitioning to paleo/primal living - the lack of recipes and resources for those feeding one or two people. Most recipes are meant for families or large gatherings - so it doesn't work too well for a single girl like me. Especially when it comes to treats. The last thing I need is a full pan of paleo brownies and no one to share them with!

Here's the intro post from my blog (paleo4one.blogspot.com) for more info:

"I'm a single girl, living on my own and trying to live a primal lifestyle. My own success with this lifestyle and the improvements I've seen in my own life have made me an evangelist for it. Though one thing I've encountered as I've been adopting the lifestyle is that many of the recipes in the numerous great cook books that have been published in the last few years are meant to serve families or large gatherings. While leftovers are great, for a single girl like me, a recipe that serves 4-5 but doesn't freeze well amounts to having to eat the same meal for every lunch or dinner that week so as not to waste food. Can you say BORING?

Hence my brainstorm for a Paleo for One website. I'll be posting smaller portion paleo friendly recipes. I'll post macro nutrient totals and any specific diets that the recipe is okay for, such as Whole 30, Auto-Immune Protocol Paleo, Austism Diet/Gluten Free & Casein Free. All of my recipes will be gluten free, as I am gluten intolerant.

Sometime we'll also discuss primal pets (I'm transitioning my dog to raw foods), paleo health, natural beauty (coconut oil is your beauty and hygiene friend, apart from being good to eat), fitness, etc. But the main focus will be paleo and primal foods scaled down to feed just one or two people and/or to make long-lasting leftovers so you don't have to eat the same thing every day!"
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Haven't been on the boards since my grandfather's funeral almost two months ago - and I that trip definitely sent me down a non-primal road. Though I've been good at staying gluten free at least. I started another Whole 30 and failed again . . . maybe for New Years? I'm just trying to stay strictly primal from now through the holidays. My parents know my dietary restrictions and my mom is even interested in learning more about it - so staying primal shouldn't be too big of a deal. That's nice.

Anyway - so I fell of the wagon and haven't lost any more weight - but I have maintained my weight at least. Today I went to the wally world and got a jump rope, a chin up bar and a food processor. I'm trying to do more CrossFit style workouts while at home to maybe get up to a point where I feel comfortable joining a box in January. My Couch 2 5K training continues though and is going pretty well. I've cut my time down each time and have been generally less winded. Which feels good.

The food processor will definitely be helpful for preparing more foods at home.

Anyway . . . rededicating myself and hoping that being more active on the forums here again will help me. I lost 20 pounds since April, (15 of that between July and August) and hopefully I can lose another 15-20 before New Years. I definitely need to keep my health goals in mind and my goal of looking as good or better than I did in high school when I go back for the 10 year reunion in May. (I was a size 14 senior year, so anything less than that would be my goal for the reunion - though not my ultimate body composition/health goal).
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hey!
    Read through your journal. Love your healthy bucket list idea. It has inspired me to make one of my own. Thanks for sharing!
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Sounds like your dog is allergic to egg like mine is. No vomiting for us but he does get boils between the pads of his feet and blisters on the nether regions.
    Ouch! That sounds worse than the throwing up.

We've finally got a system down I think. I give her raw meaty chicken bones now and again (she does best with the tips of chicken wings, so since they don't have enough meat for me to be worth eating, I cut them off and give them to her whenever I buy chicken wings), and raw or semi-cooked grass beef and beef liver, some cooked root veggies. Then she gets grain free kibbles and soft food for her other meals.

I had to buy some plain Blue Buffalo the other day because the store charged twice as much for the grain free brand (which she used to eat all the time with no problems) but since going grain free even the good grain containing kibbles give her gas and her poops are definitely less dense and smellier as well. Now I only give her little bits of that with her regular food and once we get through it I'll never buy it again, even though it means stocking up when I'm down in Denver (even if she doesn't need it immediately) to get the grain free brand at the regular price. (Still love Blue Buffalo though, now she eats their Wilderness small breed grain free kibbles and soft food).

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Primate View Post
    Hey!
    Read through your journal. Love your healthy bucket list idea. It has inspired me to make one of my own. Thanks for sharing!
    Aww! That's awesome! I don't think I've ever been anyone's healthy inspiration.

. . . .

Been doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox and have about a week left, but I'm rolling almost straight from that into my 3rd attempt at a Whole 30. I've been doing pretty well, though I cheated a couple times with dark chocolate and a nut bar (that had some honey in it). Cheats are absolutely NOT allowed on a Whole 30, or it's not considered a Whole 30, and I think that's why I've failed every time. And I think why being primal is a better long-term answer for me. I need that flexibility to enjoy my life and not be stressing about rules all the time. That said, I still think it would be worth it to do just ONE true, clean Whole 30 - just to challenge myself and to say I did, to help heal my gut and maybe help break some bad habits too.

But I think primal based low-carb cycling diet (one cheat day per week where I can have some guilt free gluten free grains, a dessert like flourless chocolate cake or even, gasp, a Hansen's all-natural soda) is where I will camp out from March on out. It's what was working best for me over the summer when I lost 30 pounds. It was way less stress and far better results than trying to strap myself with a bunch more rules from the self-appointed paleo police.

For February though I signed up for the Whole 30 daily emails, invested in Whole 30 approved snacks and I've been perfecting some Whole 30 friendly recipes. I'm also committing to only looking at my paleo pin boards for the month, checking the MDA forums more often (that also seemed to help over the summer), and reading my paleo blogs and podcasts regularly.

I think I finally had my breaking point moment in any case, after a bought of GI distress and a breakout this weekend - which I'm pretty sure are both from gluten exposure, and maybe sugar too. I've grown comfortable with myself being overweight (though I want to change that too - for health reasons), but I'm still vain enough that acne and facial hair caused by poor insulin regulation are definitely enough for me to just say no! I could be overweight so long as I still had nice skin and pretty hair and a good sense of style, but not if I have to lose those things too! LOL.

To that end, I am also using my health benefit at work to get in to Crossfit (for at least 4 months - 1 month ramp up program + 3 month membership) at the local box. I called today to set up my intro/assessment appointment for the first weekend in February.

All that to say the February is shaping up to be a hugely busy month in terms of personal health goals.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

One day left in my Sugar Detox and I'm thinking I will postpone my Whole 30. I just feel so buried in rules, I'm rebelling. I'm happy to eat primal and low carb cycle. That's very do-able for me and I've had success doing that. I still want to successfully complete a Whole 30, but I don't think I could do that right now with my mindset. Plus, I'm beginning to think it's a bad idea to try that AND start CrossFit in the same month.

Not sure when I'll tackle the Whole 30. Maybe March? Would definitely like to try it in May (whether or not I try in March), since that's the month before my 10 year high school reunion (if I go).

We'll see. But it's not gonna be February.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

About to watch the Avs game (hope they win, losing is annoying - esp. when they have the talent, they just lack the consistency - grrrr) . . . Got some paleo chicken soup thawing out from the freezer that I'll reheat in a bit for lunch. Planning honey walnut shrimp over a chopped cabbage salad for dinner (very Asian inspired) and I'll post that recipe on my blog in the next few days too. (The chicken soup recipe is already up there - in case you're interested).

Went to my CrossFit intro session and workout this morning. I did a sit up! I wasn't sure I could actually do one of those - but doing it butterfly style really seemed to help. The coach was (unsurprisingly) impressed by my squat (that's one of the few things that I know I can do and do well) and was able to do all my push-ups with just the modification of doing them on my knees. So I think the workouts I've been trying to do at home have been helping to get me ready to not totally fall on my face. I did 500m row, 40 squats, 30 sit ups, 20 push ups, 10 jumping pull ups in 8:21.

Signed up for the Fundamentals class that starts on Monday. Today was all body weight functional stuff - I'm looking forward to seeing where I stand on bench press, dead lifts and if I can do any added weight on my squats.

Even though I was a little nauseous and my ears were ringing immediately afterwards - I feel great now - like I could maybe even go again. LOL. So at least there's that! (I think I AM going to do some yoga tonight, since we didn't do really any mobility work apart from the warm up). I'll tell you one thing though, after doing that, the last thing you want to do is wreck it by eating junk. Like a lot of people regular workouts just helped me feel like I'd earned a little treat. But after that, I feel like I want to eat better to do faster and better (stronger) next time around.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First day of my fundamentals class. Significantly less scared now. Looking forward to the next one and excited to get some weight on those bars instead of just PVC pipe.

WOD of the day

Modified Cindy

AMRAP - 10:00min

5 Jumping pullups
    10 Knee pushups
    15 squats

I did 6 rounds plus 2 pull ups (so a total of 32 pullups, 60 pushups and 90 squats) plus the warm up and form stuff we worked on (dead lifts, squats and press) . . . jelly legs I tell you. But I'll get stronger.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast