Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Primal CO Girl page 3

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eagle county is beautiful. Vail and all either where you live or close by. Lots of skiing, either down hill or cross country. My daughter's grandparents live up there (she's adopted) and have a great ranch next to Nat'l forest land. Congrats and enjoy!

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Eagle county is beautiful. Vail and all either where you live or close by. Lots of skiing, either down hill or cross country. My daughter's grandparents live up there (she's adopted) and have a great ranch next to Nat'l forest land. Congrats and enjoy!
    Thanks! I'm not much of a skier, but I'm looking forward to snow shoeing, ice skating (there's a rink in town) and there's lots of walking/biking trails around the area too.

. . . .

Starting to prep my lunches for the coming week. This is what I'm planning on:

- Lettuce wrapped chicken salad with craisins and walnuts, orange
    - Shrimp and spinach salad, orange
    - Berry smoothie (with mixed berries, kefir, spinach and carrots)
    - Half a pork chop with cinnamon apple sauce
    - Lettuce wrapped cheese burger (with grass fed beef, bacon, tomato and yes, a smidge of cheese), orange

Gonna make some chilli for dinner tonight I think, and save the leftovers in case I decide to have that for lunch one day instead.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

So it's been three whole weeks since I started my new job and I am really enjoying it. The only downside is socializing. I work with all women, and all of them older than me by at least 10 years. It's hard to meet peers here, much less peers that share enough of my values and interests to build a friendship. So I am really looking forward to going out to Denver next weekend to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday!

I will say this though - walking to work has made me want to be on my feet more all day, I honestly can't sit still for more than half an hour or my butt starts to hurt. There was also a bit of a fiasco with my dog that has made me need to walk even more. She has had trouble with barking while I'm out of the house and the only thing that seems to help is tiring her out with a good long walk in the morning before I leave. So I've been getting up an hour earlier and walking her for a good 2 miles every morning to tire her out.

This week I lost 3 pounds! I attribute it to that extra walking and also getting completely off of soda. I had been stepping myself down gradually. First I cut my addiction - Coke - and swapped it for Diet 7up and water . . . a stepped down my Diet 7up to one a day and when it went off of sale and I ran out of what I had in the fridge I didn't buy any more. So I've been drinking just water for nearly a week now.

I am fasting today. A 24 hour fast from dinner last night to dinner tonight - I am going to the retirement celebration for the woman whose retirement led to me getting my new job!

Thursday I am starting a Whole 30, because Thursday is when I get paid and it also is 30 days before my next weight loss goal milestone. To help motivate me I hung up my goal clothes in my room. They step down gradually, starting with a tunic I love that I haven't worn in a couple years because I'd gained weight - if I reach my goal by Sept. 1 then I'll be able to rock it this fall. Next is a hoodie I got but it was just a smidge too small, I'm hoping to wear it comfortably by the start of hockey season in October. After that is a size 10 skirt and size 12 jacket that I hope to be able to wear for New Years. Last but by no means least is a hoodie and t-shirt set for my Avs that if I reach my goal in time I will be able to wear if they make the playoffs this year (and I think they can and hope they do!) . . . My ten year high school reunion is coming up at the end of May, so that is motivating me too.

I'll definitely need encouragement for my Whole 30 this next month - so I hope I can count on ya'll for that - I know the first couple weeks will be the toughest . . . though since I've been gradually adopting this lifestyle I think it won't be as bad as if I had tried going totally cold turkey. I have less access to trigger foods in my home now, and a larger repertoire of foods I like to eat and cook that fit the plan.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the Olympics! Go Team USA!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Start my Whole 30 tomorrow. Hope I have enough money for the groceries. It's going to be really tight with this paycheck. I should be able to get on top of things by the end of the month, I just have two big bills right up front and haven't rebuilt my usual cushion since moving and starting my new job. That's stressful. And stress will kill you.

Been spending the last few days looking for paleo recipes on Pinterest in preparation - since I can't do dairy or rice or added sweeteners (even stevia and honey) and those are all things that I've been using, if in limited amounts, to this point so far. I've used up all the dairy I had in the fridge except hard cheese that will keep. And my stevia and honey will keep as well.

Wish me luck!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

It's Day 3 of my Whole 30. Went to the grocery store yesterday and the health food store today, so I think I'm stocked up for a at least two weeks, until my next pay check.

Even before starting my Whole 30, weight loss has been going very well the last couple weeks. I've lost 7 pounds since moving, 5 of those in just the last two weeks - or since I started walking my dog for 1-2 miles every morning before work. Hoping to keep up the pace through my Whole 30 so that I can meet my first big weight loss goal on September 1.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Day 4

Ugh. Got such a bad tooth ache after dinner last night. Has anyone else ever had that problem during the first few days of their whole 30?

It was still bugging me this morning, so all I could manage was raspberries for breakfast, since that are mushy and easy to chew.

It's feeling better now, but I did cave and take one Advil. I try to avoid taking medicines I don't need, since I believe, as I imagine many of you do, that my body is capable of healing itself MOST of the time if given proper nutrition. But if I can't eat, I can't get those nutrients - and it was making it so I couldn't eat.

For lunch I had a fritata with two eggs, 3 pieces of bacon, spring onions, herbs and Himalayan sea salt.

For dinner I'm planning on a hefty helping of grass fed ground beef to make taco salad . . . I season my taco meat with lime juice, chili powder, cumin and a dash of cinnamon (my secret ingredient - plus it's good for your insulin response). I'll serve it up on a bed of iceberg lettuce and baby spinach (chopped) with a diced tomato and diced green onion. This has been one of my favorite dishes since going primal a few months ago. Normally I've have it with a little cheese too, but not during my Whole 30 of course.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Fell of my Whole 30 wagon pretty hard the other day and had deep dish pizza . . . and it wasn't like I didn't have time to cook something better - because I actually make the pizza from scratch - including the dough. And immediately afterwards I had a hard time falling asleep (up until 2am because I could just NOT fall asleep) and have had less energy since. Someday I really will learn that grain are just NOT worth it.

But I'm back on today, though that means I start over at day 1, after 5 good days. Get paid again this Thursday and will go buy more groceries, try to have more options to eat and maybe that will help this time around.

In other news, I saw a friend of mine pin a info graphic on Pinterest that compared beans to beef (CAFO, beef, mind you, not pastured) and scored them based on things like how beef has cholesterol and beans have complex carbs (good - according to the info graphic) . . . and I just couldn't bear it so I poked holes in every single one of the things that was supposedly "evil" about beef and then poked holes in several of the "good" things about beans. Of course, the generator of the original post was a vegan. It's your life, and if you want to eat vegetarian or vegan because you have moral issues about eating animals - then fine - but don't use junk science to say your diet is HEALTHIER than being a humane omnivore. *face palm*
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Excited for my shopping trip this weekend! Finally caught up enough on my bills to splurge on some supplements - getting fish oil, CoQ10 and Biotin.

Also starting the transition to a partially raw and all grain-free diet for my pooch. Tonight she had a raw egg with her soft food She's had some raw egg before when I accidentally dropped one on the kitchen floor and let her lick up what I couldn't get with a rag, so that seemed like a good place to start.

On my way to the Denver area tomorrow I plan to stop a higher-end pet food place that has some raw pet food - though I expect to make most of it at home, to save some money. So she'll it raw at one meal, and grain free but cooked food at her other. Any suggestions for which meal it is better to serve raw? Breakfast or Dinner?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    No experience on feeding raw because my dogs have allergies like you wouldn't believe, but if it was me I would do it in the morning at first so I could see how it affected her. what about mixing raw and grainfree together for both meals?

Still love your job?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

First attempt with the egg was a disaster - she got sick and threw up 5 times that evening. I haven't tried again since. She is eating grain free though and I may try again with small bit of raw meat instead of an egg.

Yes, still loving the job. Been a busy few days there and I'm looking forward to the long Labor Day weekend.

Trying to get dialed back into the lifestyle, been less than strict the last couple weeks - still in my calorie range and under 150 carbs, but ate grains and didn't workout as much as I could/should have because said grains and the business at work made me tired. I'm sure womanly things weren't helping either . . . but I'll leave that at that.

So tonight I am making bone broth. I've been eating chicken all week and saving the bones just for this occasion! Also freezing up some cinnamon coconut ice cream. Tomorrow I'm going to make some jerky.

Trying to have some snacks and food prepared for a trip that is likely to be coming up soon. My grandfather isn't doing well and isn't expected to make it through the weekend - so my family is just waiting for the word, if he does pass the funeral is likely to be next weekend which means a trip to Texas. With my Mexican family that means lots of food, probably. THOUGH my grandmother may well be too grief stricken to cook, and if she isn't cooking I doubt anyone else will - because my aunts did not get the good cooking gene. In which case I may have the opportunity to cook for my family and also ensure that I eat what I want. BUT it may also mean going out to eat more and/or eating food supplied by the church ladies. Which can be hit or miss. carnitas would be very primal (and tasty) and fajitas sin tortillas would work if eating out. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the potential food options and the stress inherent in such an event so that I can stay on track.

The weekend after that I am going down to the front range for a conference (barring any changes in my grandfather's condition anyway), and my boss is letting me take the credit card to get my lunch since there were no gluten-free/paleo friendly boxed lunch options being provided by the conference organizers. That's pretty cool and understanding of them!
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast