Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ketosis Diet page

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member

Ketosis Diet

Primal Fuel
    I'm embarking on a two week ketosis diet and need some accountability and support. Have any of you tried this before? What have been your experiences?

I'll be blogging about it on my primal/paleo lifestyle blog outdooramy.blospot.com . . .

I'd love to get feedback and comments to help encourage me through it. Especially since I'm such a carb addict. LOL. (I say that in the same way alcoholics say they are still alcoholics even if they are sober).

I've been stuck on a plateau for a while now and I'm hoping that this two weeks will be enough to kick start my weight loss again. I am starting this evening with a 24 hour fast.

Day one, still in IF since 8pm last night . . . waiting until a late lunch today to eat.

People have always told me how you have to eat breakfast to get your metabolism furnace going, but I rarely eat it anyway. I find that when I eat breakfast I end up eating more calories over the day, because my lunch and dinner meals stay about the same size regardless. I know that on Primal calories don't count for much compared to macronutrients, but I am also trying to lose weight, so I'm careful with my calorie count as well as my macronutrients. Try to stay under 100 carbs, and under 1500 calories . . . though for this week I'm trying to stay at or below 50 carbs every day.

I've planned my whole week of menus out and without the carbs I'm having a hard time even reaching 1,000 calories - but I don't think I could stomach any more food. Which is impressive - I look at the meals I've planned and they all sound very filling.

I'm off for my walk with the pooch - another part of this plan is that I walk at least a mile every day. That should be the easy part, because I love walking - it's my favorite form of exercise. (I'm sure it's why I lost a little weight during my semester abroad, despite eating sweet & sour chicken from the Chinese restaurant across from campus about 3 times a week)
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    You're staying hydrated and keeping your electrolyte levels up? This seems to be where most people go wrong when attempting to eat VLC. (Well, other than eating too much protein and not enough fat.)

Great blog post:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

NobleSavage is offline Member
    Interesting. I'll be following your blog since im largely in the same situation in regards to carb addiction.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You could try the Atkins Fat Fast for a week but honestly I think you could wait till fall unless you have some kind of event to get skinny for.

Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    You could try the Atkins Fat Fast for a week but honestly I think you could wait till fall unless you have some kind of event to get skinny for.
    Funny you should mention, actually, because I do. The reason I'm doing this now is that my graduation is in two weeks, so I'm hoping to drop some more by then (and also kick start myself off a plateau I've been on for a while going into summer).

Quote Originally Posted by NobleSavage View Post
    Interesting. I'll be following your blog since im largely in the same situation in regards to carb addiction.
    Schweet! I'd definitely love the accountability and feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    You're staying hydrated and keeping your electrolyte levels up? This seems to be where most people go wrong when attempting to eat VLC. (Well, other than eating too much protein and not enough fat.)

Great blog post:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II
    Trying to. I was careful not to plan to much protein into my days and I'm pretty good about drinking plenty of water (whenever I feel hungry, I drink water first to make sure it's not just thirst - since I'm trying to tune in better to hunger signals), but I am also watching that closely too - most of my friends who have done really low carb haven't had any problems, but one did end up having some kidney issues. Gotta get plenty of water in my washing machine! (As I used to tell the kiddies when teaching about anatomy).

Thanks for the link! Good stuff.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Paleobird Guest
    There has been extensive (like decades worth) of research done on ketogenic diets for the control of epilepsy. (google John's Hopkins and keto) There have never been any negative health impacts of it at all. I have a seizure disorder and try to stay in ketosis most of the time and it's working for me. I've lost 65 pounds and am now thinking about trying to reduce my seizure medication dosage.

There are a few sweet potato zealots around here who repeat blog factoids about how keto will wreck your insulin sensitivity, make your hair fall out, etc. This is simply hogwash.

I wish you well and will be following your story with interest.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    There has been extensive (like decades worth) of research done on ketogenic diets for the control of epilepsy. (google John's Hopkins and keto) There have never been any negative health impacts of it at all. I have a seizure disorder and try to stay in ketosis most of the time and it's working for me. I've lost 65 pounds and am now thinking about trying to reduce my seizure medication dosage.

There are a few sweet potato zealots around here who repeat blog factoids about how keto will wreck your insulin sensitivity, make your hair fall out, etc. This is simply hogwash.

I wish you well and will be following your story with interest.
    Ketosis works for some people, and for some people for a certain amount of time. It worked for me for a while, then it stopped working, so I adapted. It did impact my insulin sensitivity, and much more so my mood and energy, but I am/was young and (comparatively) very active and pushed my body. I don't regret re-introducing carbs, but in other circumstances, ketosis can be very helpful.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I've done more than two weeks in ketosis and found it great for leaning out and preserving muscle mass in the process. Salt your foods (drink some bone broth) and eat enough fat and your usually good to go. I never had any problems with it. This fella seems to live in a ketotic state if your interested Peter Attia | The War on Insulin | Peter Attia, M.D., explains why everything you think you know about nutrition is wrong. Eating fat does not make you fat.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Ketosis works for some people, and for some people for a certain amount of time. It worked for me for a while, then it stopped working, so I adapted. It did impact my insulin sensitivity, and much more so my mood and energy, but I am/was young and (comparatively) very active and pushed my body. I don't regret re-introducing carbs, but in other circumstances, ketosis can be very helpful.
    How does one know that ones's insulin sensitivity is being impacted? How do you know that increasing your carbs made you feel better mood and energy wise because ketosis was "not working" and not because you just needed more calories to fuel your intense level of physical training? It's difficult to get enough calories if you are lean and working out strenuously without adding some carb unless you are gong to eat 24 oz steaks covered in butter for every meal.

I totally agree that lean, very active individuals with healthy metabolisms often do better with adding carbs. But that doesn't mean that ketosis is necessarily harmful to everyone or anyone. I know you (AP) didn't say it was but some of the carb pushers have been lately.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast