Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ketosis Diet page 4

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Yes, I'd read on one of the links shared by someone else that potassium and magnesium are good to supplement during a ketosis diet. I haven't made it to the store yet, but if I start to feel any symptoms I definitely will add those. I tried to include potassium and magnesium rich foods on my plan as much as possible though, because I suck at swallowing pills! (Anything bigger than m&m and I just can't it down)

Well, I'm just committed to trying it for 2 weeks, if things are going good I may continue it for even longer! I plan to stay under 100g of carbs period at LEAST until a reach my goal weight, and possibly longer, unless I take up a rigorous sport in the process. (Which is entirely possible, I do really want to play hockey . . . )
    well.... eating 100g of carbs will not allow you to enter a ketogenic adapted state. You are simply following a strict primal diet.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh my, Apex. That is a bit extreme. I wonder if perhaps with most of your calories coming from fat that way, you might have been suffering from a lack of protein plus other vitamins/minerals.

Totally agree with you about the young stud needing more carbs. I just take exception when one of them tells me I need more carbs.

I'm glad you found the mix that works for you.
    there is a rate at which the human physiology converts fat to ketones and glucose. I dont have the conversion rates here at work but it is something on the order of 30% for fat and 10% for protein.

at 6000 fat calories he may as well have been eating Dairy Queen Soft Serve
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Yeah potassium/magnesium might need to be from supplements, I can remember getting droopy legs when I did Atkins ages ago and I must have broken ketosis a few times from eating raisins out of desperation!

I also suck at taking tablets, I got a phobia from being forced to take travel sickness tablets when I was a kid. If I try to swallow a tablet with just water I can feel it on my tongue and my throat just goes NOPE! Only way I can take them is to throw them down quickly when I'm done chewing a mouthful of food. Dunno what I will do if I ever need to take something without food!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I have no problem with respecting other people's success on VLC. But I find that for every "carb pusher" there's also a VLC fanatic who insists to me repeatedly that I must have somehow been doing it wrong when I never adapted despite a couple of months trying (and yes, I ate loads of fat, I had sufficient protein, and I drink lots of water and eat salt).

I'm unwilling to continue to feel crappy for a year or more on someone's assertion that I will eventually magically feel better when the simple solution for me is to include primal carbs in reasonable quantities. My health markers are great, I continue to lean out, I look and feel vital and energetic, and I can comfortably fast when I want, so why would I suffer through a year of hell (physically, mentally, and emotionally) when I can just eat some carbs and be healthy and happy now?

This isn't specifically directed at you, Paleobird. I know you respect that not everyone eats your way. But I do sort of take exception at the idea that only the "young studs" can eat carbs.

I never said "only". That was a response to Apex mentioning the 19 year old athlete. I was just using that hypothetical person as a f'instance. I totally agree that both extreme camps in the ongoing carb-wars can get annoying. There is a whole spectrum of healthy levels of Primal carbs and where each person finds their sweet spot is an individual choice.

If what you are doing ain't broke, then don't fix it.

That said, I do think that there are individuals who say they went LC but didn't really ever track their intake and therefor didn't know how many carbs they were consuming and so never really made it into ketosis or bounced in and out and so were just generally miserable and got no benefit. (Not saying this is you.)

Paleobird Guest
    I agree with quelsen that there is a big difference between entering ketosis and becoming a keto-adapted person. And the exact point at which someone gets into ketosis varies. Mark says 50 but for some people it is even lower. 100 is definitely not going to do it though. That is a healthy low carb Primal diet but not a ketogenic diet.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    [/B]
    I never said "only". That was a response to Apex mentioning the 19 year old athlete. I was just using that hypothetical person as a f'instance. I totally agree that both extreme camps in the ongoing carb-wars can get annoying. There is a whole spectrum of healthy levels of Primal carbs and where each person finds their sweet spot is an individual choice.

If what you are doing ain't broke, then don't fix it.

That said, I do think that there are individuals who say they went LC but didn't really ever track their intake and therefor didn't know how many carbs they were consuming and so never really made it into ketosis or bounced in and out and so were just generally miserable and got no benefit. (Not saying this is you.)
    Sorry for misreading you! I do get the sense that some folks think that the young, ultra-active folks can safely eat carbs but more mature women can't, and I wanted to point out that someone like me who has a healthy metabolism and is quite active can also benefit from moderate carb intake and still lose fat while doing so.

I tracked meticulously using FitDay, to the point of measuring all my portions and erring on the side of overestimating if I was not 100% sure of quantity. It actually got sort of scary. I used to have arguments with my partner when he offered me a banana because he was going to make me FAT! Didn't he know I'd already had half a sweet potato that day?

Not a healthy thing for a relationship, that.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    well.... eating 100g of carbs will not allow you to enter a ketogenic adapted state. You are simply following a strict primal diet.
    yes to this - gonna have to go lower, like 20

at least 20 was what always worked for me - or lower than that

i'm 5'3 - 125lbs

Julie

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with quelsen that there is a big difference between entering ketosis and becoming a keto-adapted person. And the exact point at which someone gets into ketosis varies. Mark says 50 but for some people it is even lower. 100 is definitely not going to do it though. That is a healthy low carb Primal diet but not a ketogenic diet.
    Sorry for the confusion. I am eating under 50 for these two weeks . . . and longer if I can stand it . . . if I can't then I'll just go back to my 100 limit.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234