Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Organ meat? page 2

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I just fried up beef liver last night. Dipped it in coconut flour and fried it and then turned the temp to low and finished it on a bed of onions for 20 mins. Man is it delicious. I have a beef heart that I am going to slow cook next man. Nothing tastier but the fat gets everywhere when you eat leftovers.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Aristotelian is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyAl View Post
    I just fried up beef liver last night. Dipped it in coconut flour and fried it and then turned the temp to low and finished it on a bed of onions for 20 mins. Man is it delicious. I have a beef heart that I am going to slow cook next man. Nothing tastier but the fat gets everywhere when you eat leftovers.
    To contribute:

One of my favourite treats is veal liver.

I chop an onion and caramelize it in butter, having seasoned it with salt and pepper. I use a very generous amount of butter. When heavily caramelized, I drain the butter (but reserve it), put the caramelized onions back in the pan and add some red wine or sherry vinegar. This helps to cut the richness. I plate the caramelized onion and quickly take a whole veal liver, lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, and sear it on both sides. I plate this on the bed of caramelized onions.

The richness of the veal liver - the soft texture, and its flavour - contrast well with the caramelized onions that have had their richness cut a bit with the red wine or sherry vinegar.

I love organ meat. Grilled rabbit liver is one of my favourites, too, but it is harder to come by in my area.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Lamb hearts are lovely roasted: just bung em in the oven! If you want you can stuff them with a nut and herb stuffing. If you think your flatmates will balk at the tubes coming out of the top, you can cut those out before you put the hearts in the oven. Serve with roast vegetables. Beef hearts are tougher and best sliced and casseroled.

Lamb liver is delicious sliced and quick-fried (takes about thirty seconds) and served with a rich sauce (cream and brandy, or a thick gravy). Goes well with bacon and onions. Ditto for chicken liver. Liver is also a prime ingredient in pate.

Calf tongue is best boiled in salty water for a few hours, skinned and pressed, then eaten as cold meat. It's usually easier to get hold of pre-cooked than raw.

Kidney: steak and kidney! Chop the kidneys, removing the white core, and casserole with stewing steak and red wine to make a rich meaty sauce to serve with e.g. cauliflower mash. Once they're on board with that, you can start leaving out the steak.

ellenkf834 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Lamb's liver is super mild compared to beef, bison, and even chicken. If you find you don't like the taste of liver, but want to include it for nutritional reasons, I recommend our wooly friend, the sheep.
    Thanks for sharing will try this tonight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12