Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell the others? page 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heh, sometimes I can't resist spouting something controversial to shock people. Like when some overweight lady is spooning sugar-free jam (laiden with art sweeteners) onto her whole-grain toast and telling how she told her husband that, yes, it may taste better with bacon, but it is not healthy, I would pitch in with something like "Bacon is wonderfully healthy, all the good for you saturated fats!"

I even coined out a slogan, because nobody argues against a rhymed line, even if it is poorly rhymed.

Grain makes you gain,
    Meat keeps you fit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I mostly don't tell anybody. People seem to ask me a lot if I am a vegetarian, mostly I guess before they offer me something that isn't vegetarian. I tell these people that I'm the opposite of vegetarian: I eat mostly meat. They get a good laugh and it makes them feel better about me.

The people I have the most difficulty with are the ones maybe 10+ years older than me who start lecturing me about "heart-attack food". They go on and on and on lecturing me even if I have said absolutely nothing about my diet except to tell them I'm not a vegetarian and I eat meat. Those people all have a similar appearance. It's hard to describe, but they appear deflated, dried out, watery eyed and sort of clinging to life by a thread even while they look like they've made some kind of weight loss and health advance in their lives. Maybe it's the statins. Anyway, they feel a need to preach because they barely survived a heart attack and were brought back to life with a typical low fat diet and CW medical intervention and feel a need to save the heathens like me who are close to their age, before it's too late.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Grain makes you gain,
    Meat keeps you fit.
    Cool one, can I use?

I see you are from Australia, this reminds me of Slip-Slop-Slap. How did you tell people that a nice and healthy tanning actually prevents skin cancer?

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Generally no, but for some reason people frequently say to me "Ooh you're so slim! I bet you eat like a bird / horse (ironic but they either assume I am very strict or have a crazy metabolism)". I might just point out that other slim and healthy people never say this to me. And I'm not that slim. Anyway, if someone specifically enquires I just say that I follow an ancestral diet which means I don't eat sugar and grains. If I start waffling on about fats, omega ratios, farming methods and antinutrients I find I am left talking to an empty seat / space or a very agitated person with an activa yoghurt and a wholegrain diet sandwich in their tummy looking for a fight. Mostly.
    I don't offer any unsolicited information or advice. I have to tell my mother every time I see her that no, I will not be eating a sandwich for lunch ("but it's olive bread... you like olives...") and no I won't want any cream cakes etc, but if I dine with someone I don't know well I just put it down to 20% and avoid anything that will make me feel rotten. My friends will check with me first though.
    I did keep mentioning it to my partner for about a year, simply because I'd like him to live a long and healthy life with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
    I don't offer any unsolicited information or advice.
    That's exactly what I do. I am pleased to see that we primals are no arrogant zealots.

Paleobird Guest
    I have kind of gone through phases with this. At first, so excited and wanting to shout it from the rooftops to anyone who would listen. Then figuring, the SAD/CW folks are hopeless, why even bother, and just clamming up completely. Now I think I'm in between the two pendulum swing extremes. I will talk to and gently nudge a select few people that matter to me but not start up a conversation about it at the grocery store.

As to zealotry. Did you read that "Non Primal Husband Get's Pissed" thread recently? Hoo boy. There were a couple of serious zealots on there but the vast majority of the people were more reasonable. Zealots tend to be not numerous but just loud.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I have some real restrictions due to medical issues...
    It might be a bit of a cop out... but I basically blame all of my eating/not eating 'rules' on that.
    And in a way it's true.
    Because I eat this way to help my medical situation.
    So...

No I don't tell people "Diet"**... I just casually brush it off as "I really can't..."
    And they feel bad for me and make sad faces, and I smile and there is no conflict, and I'm happy that way.

**I don't think of this as a "diet" anyway... it's a change in lifestyle and my relationship with food.
    This is a good thing.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    I see you are from Australia, this reminds me of Slip-Slop-Slap. How did you tell people that a nice and healthy tanning actually prevents skin cancer?
    Unfortunately, the sun here is different from the sun where you are, due to a large hole in the ozone layer.

So yeah, some sun is good. It's easy to get too much of it however.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    As to zealotry. Did you read that "Non Primal Husband Get's Pissed" thread recently? Hoo boy. There were a couple of serious zealots on there but the vast majority of the people were more reasonable. Zealots tend to be not numerous but just loud.
    Funny story: the zealots got the 'ban-and-delete-their-posts' hammer, but the thread page navigation still counts the deleted posts, so the thread is now several pages shorter (but tells you there are more pages to go).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing is, the leaner I am, the more willing I am to talk about it.

When I'm a few pounds heavier, I don't at all because I know the Bit 'O Belly is my own damn fault, not Primal. But I don't want anyone to think it's because of how I (am supposed to) eat.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast