Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell the others? page 2

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    People will change when they are ready.
    I totally agree, it has been the same for me. And there is more: even now that I have no more doubts how good it is being primal, it still feels kinda guilty to add that additional spoonful of oil of olive onto the smoked salmon tartare. CW is not easily eradicated!

primal_alex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    I think as my body composition changes, that speaks for itself more often than not.
    People will think you're diseased, it's happening to me. In the western world a lean person is not healthy

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by primal_alex View Post
    People will think you're diseased, it's happening to me. In the western world a lean person is not healthy
    If you are female in the US and used to be a size 16 but are now rocking a size 6 jeans, what you mostly get is admiration from men and catty remarks from female friends about how you must be bulimic or something.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Live and let live. Interesting that you posted this - yesterday I was in the lunch room at work and one of my coworkers made an offhand comment about not wanting to eat the junk food laid out on the communal table (chocolates, etc). She said "I'd much rather eat my rice and beans and my fresh veggie and quinoa salad instead!" I asked her if she were vegetarian, and she said she's been vegan for a few years and vegetarian for decades. She then talked a lot about how much better she feels, etc. Coincidentally, I was sitting there reading "Primal Body, Primal Mind." I just nodded and made encouraging comments. I briefly considered saying something like, "Interesting, because my diet is almost the polar opposite of yours, save for fresh fruits and veggies," but then I just didn't see the point. If she was just a regular eater, I may have mentioned primal, but I think most vegetarians and vegans are pretty damn set in their ways and often have moral considerations for their lifestyle (and I respect that).

EDIT: Oh and once she left, I got up and ran to my locker, where I furtively shoved a few slices of prosciutto in my mouth, lmao.
    Last edited by EyeOfRound; 05-27-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Bioletti is offline Member
    Great post, Primal_Alex! I've always reasoned that if I'm on to a good thing it's best to just zip my lip. Proselytizing is hard and thankless work and I'd rather direct that energy towards my well being. And for the people who swear that the SAD is God's gift to America and Primal eating is the devil, all I can do is quote that cliche about "for those that understand, no explanation is necessary, for those that don't, no explanation is possible".
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

kenn is offline Senior Member
    It's like admitting you're a Marxist
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Nope, unless it's close friends. I really can't be bothered with the questions and doubts. Sometimes it feels like people want you to eat unhealthy. Why are you not loading up on the bread? Why are you not eating the rice? Are you on a diet??????? etc. I came up with a good answer the other day, I said I wanted to leave more stomach room for the meat. That immediately met with approving nods and laughs.

Another thing. Although this is irrelevant here, I just want to shout out to vegans: I love my veggies too! And I'm always very grateful to the animal that died for me to nourish myself with their flesh!

Okay end of shout out.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I don't think most people really understand so no.

It seems to create the same firestorm as a religious debate, so it's all about right place, right time.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't tell people, but lately some of my friends have been asking because they see the shape my partner and I are in and wonder what we've been doing. I think it helps that I've also built muscle and so look leaner and healthier rather than just skinnier. It's funny how many of them want to attribute it all to Crossfit though, even after I give them a bit of an explanation of how we eat. "Oh, you can eat like that because you work out so much!" Um...no.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast