Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are There Any 'NORMAL' Paleo Recipes? page

William B is offline Junior Member

Are There Any 'NORMAL' Paleo Recipes?

Shop Now
    Hi,

I have just registered and am interested in the paleo diet due to the fact that I'm a freak of nature who is still covered head to foot in acne after 25 years of enduring it. According to Cordain this is the way to go and so its the last ditch effort before putting a gun to my head.

Anyway, now that I've happily introduced myself, I'd like to say that I have looked at many paleo recipes on the net and how shall I put this delicately.... they all sound disgusting, ridiculous, incredibly time consuming and/or expensive. So, are there any meals (lunch or dinner) which are:

1. Easy to prepare.
    2. Do not require you to be related to Bill Gates in order to afford.
    3. Still resemble something approximate to what we all used to eat before going down this route?

Carrying on from the last question, I'll give you some examples of what I normally see when looking for meals:

Steamed king crab with spicy tomato relish and shallot cream sauce.
    Catfish pesto bake.
    Buffalo roast with lemon and steamed beets.

Those are just a few of the TITLES. I have not even got into the actual recipes which require a thousand different herbs and meat that's been farmed in specific ways. Seriously, are you all millionaire chefs with nothing better to do than spend your whole lives in the kitchen?

Sorry if this seems antagonistic. I seriously would like some NORMAL suggestions - you know, things which involve chicken, beef, pork, lamb, haddock, etc. And normal vegetables such as carrots, peas, cabbage, etc. No swordfish or Peruvian hoohoberries which sprout from the McCuckoo tree on Mount Olympus, every 72 years at 6am during a solar eclipse.

Thank you in advance and nice to be here.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Creating a Healthy, Happy, Down to Earth Family

There's quite a few on my blog. Nothing fancy, but my kids love it. We do a lot of baked/grilled chicken with whatever spices are on hand. We do a lot of frozen veggies - plain or in butter.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Just keep it simple: eat meat, veggies and fruit. If you can't afford pasture raised meat eat lean conventionally raised meats.

Breakfast: eggs and bacon and maybe some fruit. Lunch: salad with avocado and meat. Dinner steak, broccoli and sweet potato with butter.

To keep it interesting switch around the proteins and veggies and use seasoning that you like.

What do you normally eat? If you let us know we may be able to help you figure out how to make your meals paleo.

FrankiG is offline Member
    Grilled meat with a marinade. Vegetables cooked with spices and some sort of healthy fat/oil.
    Soup made with vegetables and meat.
    Scrambled eggs with veggies

Where have you been looking at paleo recipes???? They are seriously quite basic and tasty and only expensive if you buy the top shelf quality of meat and organic produce.
    Teacher and Homeschooler
    One husband of 9 years,
    Two kids (6 & 3)
    Pregnant with #3, due this summer

Going primal resolved my anxiety symptoms!!!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Step one: get some meat and some paleo-friendly vegetables.

Step two: cook in manner that is pleasing to you and uses paleo-friendly seasonings.

Step three: eat.

Seriously, you don't need to look only for paleo recipes. Put the main ingredients you have into the search box along with the word "recipe" and see what comes up. If it calls for non-paleo ingredients, then you can either substitute (e.g. tapioca starch for cornstarch) or look for another recipe.

I'm not a millionaire. I'm a grad student. We buy our meats in bulk from farmers and generally eat what's in season for fruit and veg. A meal might look something like this:

-steaks with a homemade rub (can be as simple as salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder) cooked in the cast iron skillet with some butter

-spinach cooked in conserved bacon fat with a little garlic, served with a bit of lemon juice, salt, and pepper

-baked sweet potato with butter

That's simple, quick, and fairly affordable. You can do similar things swapping out the meats (so salmon filets, or chicken thighs, or whatever) and the veggies (steam some broccoli, saute some zucchini in butter, or even just cut up some fresh tomato and sprinkle with a little sea salt) and so on. Or use a slow cooker and put a roast on to cook all day so it's ready to eat when you get home.

The reason bloggers put up the fancy recipes is because the easy stuff is, well, easy, and most of it is pretty well covered by the basic cooking websites or a general purpose cookbook like The Joy of Cooking. There are also sites like Everyday Paleo that have lots of easy, tasty day-to-day recipes if you look. You can also put something like "easy" into the search bar and find lots of options.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ryan54 is offline Member
    Like someone else said, just keep it simple. Any type of meat you enjoy with vegetables, and fruit that's in season. Nuts and seeds to snack on if need be. I can guarantee the diet will improve your acne.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you're not eating very low carb and can eat dairy, white rice and white potatoes, then most French and South-East Asian recipes are viable, with a tweak or two.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

ryan54 is offline Member
    I'd stay away from rice, potatoes, and dairy if I were you.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ We don't have enough personal info on the OP to know whether that advice is relevant to them.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I treat recipes as either inspiration or occasional things. Most of my meals are a grilled meat and a salad. I turn to recipes if I have extra time and am bored with the meat and salad situation.

Aside: I thought Cordain's cookbook was pretty uninspiring. Cookbooks I recommend are "Well-Fed", "Paleo Comfort Food", and the following websites:

The Food Lovers Kitchen
    Nom Nom Paleo

Oh! And Mark's books. They're great!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast