Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are There Any 'NORMAL' Paleo Recipes? page 2

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    As above, keep it simple. Meat with veg, perhaps jazz it up with some spices, have a different selection of meat each day. I made one of those recipes on my first day, and whilst it was delicious, i don't have the time to cook like that every day. Cooking a piece of meat and some veggies doesn't take long. Enjoy a nice salad with chicken / tuna / egg for lunch.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop View Post
    As above, keep it simple. Meat with veg, perhaps jazz it up with some spices, have a different selection of meat each day. I made one of those recipes on my first day, and whilst it was delicious, i don't have the time to cook like that every day. Cooking a piece of meat and some veggies doesn't take long. Enjoy a nice salad with chicken / tuna / egg for lunch.
    The lunch salad thing is especially easy if you have some pre-cooked protein on hand. Keep some leftover roasted chicken, steak, roast beef, hardboiled eggs, or canned tuna on hand, that way you can easily toss some of it in a salad with a simple homemade dressing (as basic as oil, vinegar, and some herbs of your choice) and have a tasty lunch. Or mash up canned tuna with an avocado, some hot sauce, and a bit of lemon juice. Easy and fairly cheap.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree with hula-hoop - keep it simple, and go for rustic-style dishes.

You can't go wrong with meat/fish and veggies fried in butter or coconut oil.

Also, the big ass salad and everything omelette are sufficiently flexible to be easily affordable and easy to source for ingredients. You'll need to have some confidence in putting the right flavour combinations together and not following a recipe to the letter. This really depends on your culinary background.

I'd focus on perfecting the techniques for making these, including finding nice dressing recipes for the salad that work well with particular ingredients. Then you will gain the ability to cook flexibly with a basic range of standard ingredients plus whatever is available. That's the key to affordable, nutritionally balanced, stress-free cooking.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I should mention: when I STARTED, I leaned on the recipes because my brain was still going haywire over the idea that a filling dinner could be as simple as a piece of protein and a nice salad. There had to be more! Years of cooking that way said so!

We're over a year in, though, and nowadays the elaborate recipes are fewer and farther between, and mostly reserved for weekends when I have time to putter about. I love cooking, don't get me wrong, but on weeknights I just want to get in, get done, and sit down with my honey to a meal and discussion.

ryan54 is offline Member
    Pasteurized dairy, rice, potatoes = acne

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan54 View Post
    For some people. None of those cause acne for me, and the OP may or may not be fine with them.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Ah - OK.

I found that my acne disappeared when I stopped eating sugar.

I didn't have to give up pasteurized dairy, rice or potatoes. Having said that, there is evidence that pasteurized dairy is a factor for some.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William B View Post
    So, are there any meals (lunch or dinner) which are:

1. Easy to prepare.
    2. Do not require you to be related to Bill Gates in order to afford.
    3. Still resemble something approximate to what we all used to eat before going down this route?
    Sure.

Lunch can be as easy as take a large bowl or soup-plate and if it with salad vegetables of your choice, drizzle on a tablespoon of olive oil and squeeze over some lemon. Eat a couple of slices of meat or a tin of fish with your salad. Follow up with a piece of fruit if desired.

Dinner might be an avocado followed by chili made without beans and not served over rice. Just eat it more of it. Maybe add a handful of olives when serving it. An avocado and tons of chili ought to be quite filling, but if that's not enough have another cooked vegetable on the side and perhaps a glass of coconut milk.

Or buy a crockpot and throw some meat in there with some flavoring vegetables (e.g. onion, carrot, and celery) and a little fluid (wine or stock or a can of tomatoes) and leave it on low for 8 hours. Nothing else to do: you don't actually need to "sear" the meat first or "fry off" the vegetables. It really is that easy.

Carrying on from the last question, I'll give you some examples of what I normally see when looking for meals:

Steamed king crab with spicy tomato relish and shallot cream sauce.
    Catfish pesto bake.
    Buffalo roast with lemon and steamed beets.
    Well, yeah, it's a board that attracts people who are interested in the sensual/aesthetic/cultural side of food.

But some Paleo books that cater for that also have some quick and easy and simple recipes in. One would be Make it Paleo for which Mark wrote the forward:

Make it Paleo - over 200 grain-free, paleo, and primal recipes - Make it Paleo - Paleo Cookbook | Paleo Recipes

There are blogs, too, and they don't always deal in cordon bleu stuff. Sarah Fragoso includes recipes for families, and that's going to mean for people who have to coo for their children perhaps at the end of a working day and perhaps on a tight budget.

Everyday Paleo from Sarah Fragoso - Paleo Recipes and Paleo Talk Podcast

Scroll down and you'll see about three posts back Mexican Meatballs. Not difficult to do, and wouldn't require Bill Gates's wallet to buy the ingredients.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Not for me.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    I should mention: when I STARTED, I leaned on the recipes because my brain was still going haywire over the idea that a filling dinner could be as simple as a piece of protein and a nice salad. There had to be more! Years of cooking that way said so!

We're over a year in, though, and nowadays the elaborate recipes are fewer and farther between, and mostly reserved for weekends when I have time to putter about. I love cooking, don't get me wrong, but on weeknights I just want to get in, get done, and sit down with my honey to a meal and discussion.
    I agree that this style of eating and cooking is very liberating due to its simplicity. I like cooking too - it's a great creative outlet, when I'm in the mood and have the time to spare.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast