Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly farmer's market haul thread... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Weekly farmer's market haul thread...

Shop Now
    Hi guys!

Lately I've been wondering, how many of you guys go to farmer's markets regularly (weekly for some of you)? And yes, going straight to the farm also counts here.

I've recently posted a thread about how lately, everything I eat has been from the farmer's market.

So, I've posted this thread for us to share what we bought and other nice experiences had at the farmer's market (or on the farm) to inspire people, give them ideas about new or unusual foods to try, and just in general, inspire folks to get out there and explore their local food sources more!

Feel free to comment on what others are saying they've been buying at the markets and the experiences they've had.

I'll get us started:

Today: Bought 1.3 lbs of grass-fed beef ribs for grilling tomorrow. For the week ahead I bought, 3 lbs of grass-fed ground beef, 1 lb of pasture-raised pork chops, a dozen eggs from full pastur-raised hens, some locally grown, produced, and certified organic sauerkraut, some of the best asparagus I've seen in my life, some wonderful spinach, and some 100% grass-fed, raw cheese from a wonderful cheese vendor who's just the greatest guy ever. He even told me I could have two dollars off my feta because I buy from him so often!

Leftover from last week's market: Some kale that's just been the most amazing batch I've ever had, and a pound of pasture-raised ground pork.

Bonus experience: In addition to getting the discount on the awesome cheese, the guy who does the sauerkraut, pickles, and kimchi also sells coffee. He politely asked if I would please have a cup of coffee (on the house) of his latest roast just to try it out and let him know what I thought. Spent 20 minutes talking to him as I sipped his wonderful (and I think he said organic) coffee and learned a lot about both fermented foods and how to do it, and his coffee roasting methods.

All this, before noon, and this is shaping up to be a great day!

So, how about you guys? Time to share your weekly farmer's market experiences!
    Last edited by Drumroll; 05-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Weekly for us. Got some pork sausage, beef liver, green onion , duck eggs and a giant wooden spoon someone carved (it'll be awesome to stir my bone broth with).

There was also a Paleolithic Weapon Master with ladles and other weird, deadly looking tools/weapons made out of wood and animal parts.

Not much available here yet otherwise, climate is too cold for 1400 ft elevation. Today it hailed ice nuggets the size of marbles. Gotta wait til mid June to get the good stuff.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Weekly for us too:

Farmer's Market was today:
    - Grass-fed beef roast (still have some ground beef from last week)
    - Smoked pasture raised pork-chop and bacon
    - Three dozen organic pasture eggs (1 dozen left over from last week)
    - Organic lettuce, onions, garlic and cucumber

Not a whole lot of organic produce available yet. Should be coming in the next few weeks.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Well not ezactly "farmers market" But
    once every 4-6 weeks we go to my Farm Butcher & Pork farm (there only a couple miles from each other) to stock up on at least a months worth of Beef, Pork, Lamb, Bacon etc etc.
    every 1-2 weeks I go to the local Dairy Farm for Fresh butter, Cheeses, veal, and sometimes more bacon.
    Also go to the fishmonger a couple times a month for stuff like scallops, squid, razor clams, tiger shrimp along with any other fish.
    And we have a fishvan that comes by weekly that I usally get some salmon & smoked mackrel from (they dont have a big selection like the fishmongers)
    I get a delivery of fresh organic veg from the local organic farm (does that count? )
    And my local farmer, 3 minutes walk up the road has a stand at the farm about 9 months out of the year with lots of fresh local grown (that is, the field right behind his stand) veg & fruits etc & Fresh free range eggs year round.

I hardly ever step foot in a conventional supermarket anymore
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Well not ezactly "farmers market" But
    once every 4-6 weeks we go to my Farm Butcher & Pork farm (there only a couple miles from each other) to stock up on at least a months worth of Beef, Pork, Lamb, Bacon etc etc.
    every 1-2 weeks I go to the local Dairy Farm for Fresh butter, Cheeses, veal, and sometimes more bacon.
    Also go to the fishmonger a couple times a month for stuff like scallops, squid, razor clams, tiger shrimp along with any other fish.
    And we have a fishvan that comes by weekly that I usally get some salmon & smoked mackrel from (they dont have a big selection like the fishmongers)
    I get a delivery of fresh organic veg from the local organic farm (does that count? )
    And my local farmer, 3 minutes walk up the road has a stand at the farm about 9 months out of the year with lots of fresh local grown (that is, the field right behind his stand) veg & fruits etc & Fresh free range eggs year round.

I hardly ever step foot in a conventional supermarket anymore
    I have a fish guy that occasionally shows up at the farmer's market I go to, but I REALLY wish I had a quality fishmonger/fish shop around where I lived. My local grocery store isn't horrible for that, but it's far from a dedicated shop for it and I generally don't get over there anymore anyway.

The produce is out in force where I'm from. Local farmers hawking their delicious green things everywhere!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    My local produce spot is kind of like a farmer's market because they carry half of their produce locally, as well as all the fresh meats they sell.

Latest haul for me (once a week):
    5 lbs grass-fed beef
    2 heads organic romaine
    3 lbs organic tomatoes
    2 lbs zucchini
    1 bunch parsley
    3 lbs sweet potato

Mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    My local produce spot is kind of like a farmer's market because they carry half of their produce locally, as well as all the fresh meats they sell.

Latest haul for me (once a week):
    5 lbs grass-fed beef
    2 heads organic romaine
    3 lbs organic tomatoes
    2 lbs zucchini
    1 bunch parsley
    3 lbs sweet potato

Mmmm
    That's quite a haul. I can dig it!

KatieCHI is offline Member
    Chicago has a bunch of markets so I hit the big one Saturday (Lincoln Park) and a smaller one downtown on Thursday if I run out of anything. This week I bought eggs, salad mix, carrots, and two pints of strawberries since everyone had buckets of them! I don't get them every time, but there's a guy who makes homemade pork rinds that are amazing and another guy who sells elk jerky.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Not farmers' market, but a variety meats store:
    Whole rabbit
    Duck breasts
    Ground elk
    Wild boar chops
    Ahi tuna steak
    Bison steak
    Alligator

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast