Thread: Plants that repel mosquitoes... page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Plants that repel mosquitoes...

Primal Fuel
    We just got one of those as-seen-on-tv magnetic screens for our dog to go in and out. It works about as well as the $7 we paid for it. I was thinking of putting some potted plants near the door to try to repel bugs near the door when it gets a little buggier here in the northeast. I've seen lemongrass, basil and even mint. Anyone have any experience with this? I suppose I could just cook with them if it doesn't work as a mosquito repellent

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Lemon balm. Never tried it as a repellent but it's supposed to work. Best in pots anyhow, as it's in the mint family and will take over your garden.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Sorry I don't have experience with using plants, and I live in an area where mosquitoes are few. However, your question does make me wonder if mosquitoes will not be as interested in me as they used to be now that, I have changed my diet.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Bioletti is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    We just got one of those as-seen-on-tv magnetic screens for our dog to go in and out. It works about as well as the $7 we paid for it. I was thinking of putting some potted plants near the door to try to repel bugs near the door when it gets a little buggier here in the northeast. I've seen lemongrass, basil and even mint. Anyone have any experience with this? I suppose I could just cook with them if it doesn't work as a mosquito repellent
    Put out as many potted Marigolds as possible. They are sheer kryptonite for mosquitoes and I swear by them.
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I first read that as "pants that repel mosquitos" and was actually wondering how you would get your dog to tolerate them.

BigSwifty is offline Junior Member
    I saw an episode of "Dual Survival" (great show by the way) and one of the guys used wax myrtle to repel mosquitoes. I'm not sure how well it might grow in your area considering they were in the Everglades for the show.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My mom swears by marigolds. Just as an idea, if you get a good brand of natural mosquito repellant they often are based on citronella, which is a kind of lemongrass. I know ours works - we put it on and then took a nature center class that was all about grasses - so in the tall grass we went for a while. Others were eaten alive. We checked - nothin' on us.

Since you are planting in pots, might just grow for you.