Thread: Don't want to over do it. page

CrissyTibby is offline Senior Member

Arrow Don't want to over do it.

Little workout background.

I use to train really heavy and was very low body fat about 2 years or so ago until I tore an abdominal muscle. I would say I got to around 10 percent body fat. It looked good, but I felt like crap.

Fast forward. I am now teaching a class called body pump and have been for a long time and I am more like 20 percent body fat. I don't mind it, but I would like to cut down on the fat some -- 18 percent would be great.

I am quick to over train. I don't know why. I have trained for years and it has always been this way. I teach Body pump 2 times a week and I want to add a heavy lifting day in during the week to help get my body fat down. I don't do formal cardio - I HATE to touch a cardio machine or run.

My question is does this look like too much? 2 days of I would say glycogen demanding workouts and one day heavy - not going over 5 reps. 3 hours workout in total? Should I keep my body pump training light - though I can't look like a wimp on stage, but maybe not load the bar as much.

I was also thinking lower one week and upper the next - or should I just make it a full body?

Thanks!
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you should consider doing a short, intense full body workout AFTER your class. You're already at the gym, warmed up, and in gym clothes after all. You could just do 3 sets of 5, squats and overhead press one day, and three sets of five bench press and one set of five deadlift the other day.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Sounds good. I will try that this week. Really missed heavy lifts!
    Never give up on anything you can't go a day without thinking about - Tony Horton

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Maybe you should consider doing a short, intense full body workout AFTER your class. You're already at the gym, warmed up, and in gym clothes after all. You could just do 3 sets of 5, squats and overhead press one day, and three sets of five bench press and one set of five deadlift the other day.
    sounds like a good idea. Maybe throw in some back and rear delt work as well.

I do chins one day and pullups the next for back. I get a lot of rear delt work in the body pump class so my days are looking like this:

Tuesday:
    Body Pump - 1 hour
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Walking Lunges
    Chins

Thursday:
    Body Pump - 1 hour
    Squats
    Overhead Press
    Pullups

No other days working out.

This worked well this morning - pretty wore out, but I don't feel like I will over do it this way.

Thanks.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Awesome, glad to hear it! Now keep increasing those weights over time!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/