Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood pressure advice needed page

Butch C is offline Junior Member

Blood pressure advice needed

Primal Fuel
    So I've been doing the primal thing for about six weeks...I've dropped 13 lbs (from 188 to 175, and I'm a 5'10" male) and I feel good. But my damned BP is still high - typically 130-140 over 90-100 range during the day. I cannot seem to push it down. It does drop down into the 120-130 over 80-90 range after a couple glasses of wine in the evening.

One one of the big reasons I am pursuing the primal diet is to get my BP down, but I have seen no improvement at all, even though I am eating zero processed food and going plenty light on the salt.

Ideas?

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    How old are you and does your family have issues with blood pressure?

I am 36. And yes, both of my parents have BP issues.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch C View Post
    So I've been doing the primal thing for about six weeks...I've dropped 13 lbs (from 188 to 175, and I'm a 5'10" male) and I feel good. But my damned BP is still high - typically 130-140 over 90-100 range during the day. I cannot seem to push it down. It does drop down into the 120-130 over 80-90 range after a couple glasses of wine in the evening.

One one of the big reasons I am pursuing the primal diet is to get my BP down, but I have seen no improvement at all, even though I am eating zero processed food and going plenty light on the salt.

Ideas?
    Try laying off all fructose, including fruit. My coworker's hypertension is fruit and caffeine sensitive. Getting a uric acid meter may also help you figure out what you're sensitive to.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Have you gone to your Dr about this? Because while yes, high BP is most commonly the result of aging combined with a bad diet and lack of activity, there are many other causes for it. Genetics is one of them, and that is out of your control, but you may have kidney issues, a neuroendocrine tumor, thyroid issues, or one of the multitude of other causes of hypertension.

ckck1234 is offline Senior Member
    I had the same issues.

I got some CO 10 from Wal Mart and some 90% Cocoa. Mine was 150 over 100 and not is is 117 over 73. At least that is the average when the Dr. takes it weekly.

Reduce stress if possible.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I think it is also telling that your blood pressure is lower when you are relaxing with a bit of wine. Feeling anxious about what the results might be, can easily raise your bp for the time that you are taking it.

I wonder what would happen if you learned some deep relaxation breathing and then practiced that before you took your bp...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Have you gone to your Dr about this? Because while yes, high BP is most commonly the result of aging combined with a bad diet and lack of activity, there are many other causes for it. Genetics is one of them, and that is out of your control, but you may have kidney issues, a neuroendocrine tumor, thyroid issues, or one of the multitude of other causes of hypertension.
    I need to go the the doc...I was just hoping that with weight loss and exercise I would be able to work around having to take meds.

Thanks. I will give the COQ-10 a shot...and the chocolate of course.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I think it is also telling that your blood pressure is lower when you are relaxing with a bit of wine. Feeling anxious about what the results might be, can easily raise your bp for the time that you are taking it.

I wonder what would happen if you learned some deep relaxation breathing and then practiced that before you took your bp...
    I actually have tried that some times in the evening, and the results were good - it dropped to well within normal. The problem is that it is way high all day. Does deep breathing change the way BP is at all times, or only when being practiced and in the immediate thereafter?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast