Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 10 day yoga challenge anyone? page 3

Primal Fuel
    It's been a while since I went for daily classes. End of Day 2, thighs were mad sore halfway through class but overall, it was a great practice. Yep, finally found the way in to the yoga studio. Turns out it's only open when there are classes (about 3 to 4 per day). The room is slightly heated so it's warm and comfy.

The instructor laid out cards in front of each of us at the end when we were in savasana. Kinda like tarot cards, but not really? Anyway, never had that before. It's nice to have a little card to read though. Mine was a 'sexuality' card. Hurhur. Something about me having or getting? sexual energy and to remember to use it kindly. I'm interpreting it as a positive reinforcement for my decision to stop buying peanut butter for 3 months after I scarfed down half a jar yesterday. Less scarfing on peanut butter = more sexual energy lol

It's been a while since I went for daily classes. End of Day 2, thighs were mad sore halfway through class but overall, it was a great practice. Yep, finally found the way in to the yoga studio. Turns out it's only open when there are classes (about 3 to 4 per day). The room is slightly heated so it's warm and comfy.

The instructor laid out cards in front of each of us at the end when we were in savasana. Kinda like tarot cards, but not really? Anyway, never had that before. It's nice to have a little card to read though. Mine was a 'sexuality' card. Hurhur. Something about me having or getting? sexual energy and to remember to use it kindly. I'm interpreting it as a positive reinforcement for my decision to stop buying peanut butter for 3 months after I scarfed down half a jar yesterday. Less scarfing on peanut butter = more sexual energy lol

Kitbug is offline Member
    Day 2 and 3 were much harder for me than one... Odd, because everyone seems to report the dying feeling on day one. Then again, I got cramps and cravings (which I gave in to on day two). Still have cramps today (day 3), and I was a little dehydrated after class last night and since I went to a morning class today, I think it carried over. But I'm eating healthy. I am craving meat so bad right now (which I can't have in the house). So I'm writing this while I wait for my burger (no bun) with bacon and cheese and veggies at the local place that has hormone and antibiotic free meat advertised.

How's everyone else who's doing the 10 days doing?

Completed Day 5! I've never done 5 days straight- actually, I've never even done 3 days straight, so yay! Surprised and very grateful to my body for letting me realise I have the strength to do this, and that I'm happy to do this, every day.

Mad cravings for carbs yesterday, but appetite has normalised today. And I'm sleeping like a rock! All good.

@kitbug, do you do evening classes? If yes, what do you do about dinner after? I'm not that hungry after but I worry if I don't get enough meat/or just food in me I won't have the strength to last the whole stretch. Right now I'm eating sardines for late dinner even though I don't really feel like eating anything.

Kitbug is offline Member
    I try to do early evening classes (ones that get out by 6) so I have a little time to get hungry. But one time I went later and didn't get out till 8, wasn't hungry, and just skipped dinner. I read somewhere that because yoga helps your body function more efficiently, for some people it will help reduce your appetite. But I also don't worry about it. Other times I've gotten out of class and I've been STARVING. Like MUST EAT NOW kind of thing.

I have almost made it to day five (tonight). It's looking like due to a family commitment that is out of my hands, I may have to miss a class, but I'll make it up by doing at least an hour session at home if I do, so it's all good.

i can't sleep if i skip dinner -_-

btw today (day 8) was the toughest day by far! i hardly did anything all day but i was dying at practice. and wanted to sleep right after coming home from class, but got too hungry after lying in bed for a while. ick. wondering if 8 days straight of power yoga is a bit much? my body's constantly sore now. two more days to go though. should i push through?

Kitbug is offline Member
    You're off the hook if you want. I had to quit. =(

So Bikrim yoga is a specific type of yoga that involves 26 poses and 2 breathing exercises in a sequence. You CAN'T BREAK THE SEQUENCE. The instructor's will get angry if you break the sequence.

So on day 5 I was doing yoga, doing great, best day so far. When I tried to go deep into one of the poses and my shoulder had a "eff you" moment (I have scar tissue in my shoulder muscles). This happens sometimes. But here's the problem -- I COULDN'T STRETCH IT OUT. Because I couldn't break the sequence. Rrrrgh. So it turned into a big deal and my shoulder still hurts today. So I quit Bikrim. I did day 6 at home, but I wasn't sure if I should keep pushing as all of this means I need to get body work done on my shoulder, and I have an appointment Wednesday... so I decided I shouldn't push through the yoga and wait till after I get worked on.

*super sad face*

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Kitbug, I am glad you listened to your body...how are you doing now? Sometimes we need to give ourselves a break as well (esp. while getting restarted, ya know?) 6 days straight is a lot if you have not been doing it so regularly and often...IMO its better to listen when your body (esp old injuries) is squeaking at you (or saying "eff you" than to just keep pushing through it. It sucks when you need to stop a large part of your practice for a longer amount of time b/c of injury due to overuse/pushing too hard/etc.

Hope your shoulder is better! Have you gotten back into any form of yoga since? Just wondering! And how was Bikram for you, as compared to other forms of yoga you've tried? (Just interested!)
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

OnlyBodyWeight is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like an idiotic program if you can't stretch.
    RUN, don't walk, from a nutjob instructor like that.
    Bikram isn't real yoga anyway. It's garbage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123