Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for getting to where you can eat foods that disturb you page

sapphire_chan is offline Senior Member

Ideas for getting to where you can eat foods that disturb you

Primal Fuel
    Niboshi are little dried fish sold as snack food in most Asian markets.

They're crispy, salty, mildly fishy. They've got all the bones and such so they're little power-houses of nutrition. Did I mention they're crispy? Crispy is a texture that's hard to come by in the Primal diet.

The only problem is they're whole fish including little dried out eyeballs that fall off the fish into the bag, or worse, half-off the fish to dangle unpleasantly.

I've sliced up a heart for jerky, I regularly boil bones for broth. How can I get past this stupid hang up over fish eyes so I can enjoy a healthy snack?

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    Just don't look at the fish too carefully as you're eating them. And don't reach down to the bottom of the bag to finish off the nasty bits!

You could eat seaweed instead, that is salty and crispy!

codered5 is offline Senior Member
    Just save the eyeballs until you have enough to mix them into some eggs...BOOM!

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    I'll admit I've been wanting to try these. I like crispy foods. Are they super fishy? For reference: I adore seaweed snacks of all types, fish jerky, and nori snacks of all types even though most of 'em aren't Primal so I don't eat them anymore (fried nori, nori crackers, those little nori strips). I also love sardines - I've hit the point where I crave them! But I have a "fishiness threshold" where if the fish smell of a food gets a little too strong in my nose, it puts me off; I've gotten that sometimes with bad sushi. So, for those who have tried niboshi, would they work for a sardine-munching nori addict?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i did used to have a thing about eyeballs. i have a wild memory of being in france when i was a kid and they had a whole roast fish for dinner. special treat. i went eeek coz of the eyeballs. they very kindly took it to the kitchen and gouged them out and brought it back and it looked scarier lol i love whitebait which are whole. i'm cutting right now so i was even eyeing up a green caterpillar that i accidentally steamed with my organic brocolli the other day. i eat shellfish like cockles and oysters and mussels all whole. so really a tiny fish eye, unless it is squidgy like the bull's eyes we had to disect in biology at school, is not a drama.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I eat some weird stuff, but I still haven't gone near eyeballs... at least separate from a head. I've eaten entire crawfish, head, shell and all... same with shrimp. I don't suppose these fish are much different.

Really, you just have to jump in and have one. When you realize it's not so bad, you can actually enjoy them.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I just googled for an image because I don't know them by that name - I just know "dried fishies". I used to get little, teeeensy dried fish for my cats as a snack. I think I will go to the oriental grocery and get some for myself this time.

I would have problems with the eyeballs, too. If yours are about the size of a thumbnail, from snout to tail, I would just pop one in and be done with it - and imagine how much goodness these fishies are doing for you.

If, however, they are bigger, and the eyeballs really STARE at you, all dangling and stuff, grab the little sucker by the head and bite everything else off. Then put the fish heads in your flower pot. Eventually, I think, you'll make it.

This will be my answer to myself, when I go next week to my asian grocery here.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
    Niboshi are little dried fish sold as snack food in most Asian markets.

I've sliced up a heart for jerky, I regularly boil bones for broth. How can I get past this stupid hang up over fish eyes so I can enjoy a healthy snack?
    Oh, you just reminded me I need to run to Donqi for some niboshi. How was the heart jerky? Regarding the hang up I have no idea...just do it?
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

mystifiedu is offline Member

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Inuit children relished fish heads and eyeballs!
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast