Thread: Healthy BMI reached! page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

Healthy BMI reached!

Primal Fuel
    On Saturday March 3rd 2012 I stepped on the scale and weighed 213 Lbs - Yikes!

At 5' 11'' that put my BMI at 29.7 - in the obese category! Although I know BMI has its drawbacks I had decided to use it as a gauge and set a goal of getting to a healthy BMI this year. That means I would need to get my weight down to 178 lbs.

In April I became 60 years old and I felt like I really needed to focus on taking charge of my health.

Over the years I have remained relatively fit - weight lifting, running, doing some marathons and triathlons punctuated with periods of inactivity. However during the last couple of years I had let my health slip and was really beginning to pack on the pounds.

After much research I decided on the Paleo diet. Based on the science of fat loss I believed the evidence was compelling and there is no other diet that would enable me to reach my goals.

Today I weighed in at 177 lbs for a weight loss of 36.8 lbs in 83 days! My Body Mass Index is now in the healthy weight category (24.7) and I must say I feel amazing.

I have not yet checked my blood lipids (I will early next month) but my blood pressure when I started was 130/90 and now sits at 110/75.

To see a history of my journey to health feel free to visit my Paleo Journey Diary on Facebook. Perhaps you will find some motivation in it.

Paleo Journey - Diary of my experience eating the Paleo Diet | Facebook
    Last edited by canuck416; 05-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Well done! BMI is just a benchmark like you said, but hey, lower is better. I've got 5 pounds left to go, myself...

(Wait, I just double-checked the BMI chart, and I've actually got THREE pounds left to go. I hate when I brag wrong!)
    Last edited by SeanM; 05-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Alright! And 36.8 in 83 days? You are rocking that weight loss!
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Thanks Sean. I just weigh myself this morning and was down to 176.2 so the weight loss continues. I may end up plateauing at around 168, a weight I was at when doing some serious training at in my early thirties.

Its amazing to me how much weight I've lost so quickly. If someone told me previously they had lost this much weight in under 3 months I would have told them it was unhealthy, but on Paleo it feels incredibly healthy and energizing.

jak757 is offline Member
    Good for you! You are an inspiration, and I thank you for that. Just liked your FB page...look forward to more!

Thanks jak757! Appreciate your visit. Wishing you all the best on your journey to health.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    that's awesome, canuck!