Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking for pork rinds? try looking at Aldi page 3

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    RitaRose, I don't know what just happened to that quote box thingy on my previous post... At least the QUOTE markers are still there... I don't want to be stealing anybody's lines!!!

jaye is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone used pork rinds to coat fish for deep-frying? Does an egg and pork rind coating stay on in the oil or do you have to bake it?

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    I love pork rinds. They are a nice Primal snack, especially if you're at a convenient store or gas station. Outside of nuts and pork rinds, there isn't much else unless you go for fruit, hard boiled eggs, veggies, etc...

My concern with these are usually their nuts are roasted in canola or soybean oil and the same goes for pork rinds. If I could find a brand that is fried in the natural fat (like the ones referenced in this thread), I'll definitely buy some.

I like 'em, except that little bits of them get stuck in my throat and really hurt on the way down. It's good to chew them very thoroughly and drink water along with them!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I do my own,
    I buy pork in bulk, hence have a lot of skin, they are best if you leave about 1/4" (6mm) fat on, cut them into small rectangles (2"x3"), then boil them up when I am doing the pork bone stock, usually for a couple of hours, they help make the stock richer, then pull them out when they are nicely cooked and swollen, add just a little more salt on them, they get a little bit sticky to the touch.
    I then put them into an electric grill press on low heat and let them fry, with a bit of pressure occassionally until the lard stops draining, they get that nice golden brown colour (if heat is too high they will burn & go black), when ready pull them off and allow to cool, then just break up to cracker size. By boiling first then baking they have a cracker like consistancy, but aren't so hard they break your teeth.
    Great as snack, with dips etc. or even as trail snacks when hiking.

I do big batches when doing stocks, so you spend a good day on it, but I end up with a good supply of lard, stock, pork rinds (scratchings) and always make a big pot of ready to eat stew at the same time of which more than half is usually frozen.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    It is my understanding that everything at Aldi's is right off the boat from China?
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    The Pork Rinds at Aldi's are made in the US.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Artichoke is offline Senior Member
    Aldi is a German discount supermarket and has stores all over Europe.

In the UK it is getting quite hard to find pork scratchings (pork rinds) without a whole load of added rubbish like hydrolysed vegetable protein

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wegmans has them in the Latin American sections. I just bought three small bags yesterday, which will probably last me the year because I don't really like them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123