Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for pork rinds? try looking at Aldi page 2

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DashFire View Post
    Exciting news... Since there was no oil/fat listed on the ingredients I was suspicious if the pork rinds were actually friend in some kind of vegetable oil, but just got a response from Aldi to my customer inquiry and "we fry our Pork Rinds in their natural pork fat." Also learned they are produced by Evans Food (based here in Chicago!). Alright, off to buy some now.
    Jay's brand of pork rinds are also a good brand fried out in their own fat. To be honest ive never found a bag of pork rinds that listed anything other than pork skin and salt except for flavored ones. Do they even exist? I see people post a lot about rinds from the store being cooled in shitty oils but as I said I've yet to find one.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't normally see them cooked in any thing because they're cooked in their fat.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Sure you can eat them...but why would you want to? Those things look groooooooooooss!
    Pork rinds are the most delicious snack food there is. The sodium content on a lot of brands is really through the roof though. That entices you to keep eating beyond the point where you should, and with all that extra salt it can make you bloat. So be careful with them. A delicacy for sure but you have to be especially careful about portion control.

DashFire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicMcCool View Post
    Wait... I CAN EAT PORK RINDS?!
    Yes - Go hog wild!

Just double check the ingredients to make sure they don't list veggie oil or other crappy stuff (especially the flavored ones). Also, I'm told they can be crushed up and used as breading for fish, chicken, etc. But haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter
    Sure you can eat them...but why would you want to? Those things look groooooooooooss!
    Hmmm, cheap crunchy salty snack, with the following nutritional profile vs. potato chips, YES PLEASE...

1oz Clancy's (Aldi Brand) Wavy Potato Chips
    - 10g Fat
    - 16g Carbs
    - 2g Protein
    1oz Clancy's Original Pork Rinds
    - 10g Fat
    - 0g Carbs
    - 16g Protein

JWBooth is spot-on though regarding the sodium, which can be 3-4 times that of potato chips. Which I find surprising, because these didnt actually taste salty at all to me, despite being rather high in sodium.
    Last edited by DashFire; 06-21-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    My Primal Journal - Food, pics, the occasional rant, so...the usual.

I love cooking. It's sexy science that you stuff in your face. - carlh

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Smile No Flavor ie Plain the way to go, 2 ingredients

I don't recommend going "hog wild" @ 1 sitting, as the sodium from table salt, as others have stated is high, & that "normal" table salt also includes very small amounts of dextrose as an anti-caking agent, so these factors don't make these the ultimate & very best snack, but it is still pretty high on my list! Bacon is pretty salty too, so when I eat these or other uber-salty foods I just limit or avoid adding any other salt that day. Unless its a sweltering, heat-wavy summer day(s).

I do buy them from the very nearby dollar store, The Dollar Tree for .99/bag the cheapest & easiest close-to-primal snack when I'm out and about. Good to keep in my backpack or my car when hunger hits, but they can be somewhat addictive, so I often refrain from buying more than 1 bag at a time, ha.

Will have to try them as a part of a pie/quiche crust or as a creative breading soon, as I'm trying to greatly reduce my former stand-bys: almond crusts & walnut crusts mixed w/ coconut flakes.

I'm moving into a tighter phase of reducing/eliminating the extra O6 sources in my diet. See how I feel on less O6s. I only eat grass-fed beef, liver & wild fishes but I do tend to go hog wild at times with nuts. And even when I don't go wild with them, they are still in my diet. Almonds, always sprouted overnight, were my thing for a long long time (years), then walnuts were my darlings since I heard they were highest in O3s. Now I'd like to rein in those guys & lose my lil belly roll & put on another 10 lbs of muscle this summer. Just finished a 48 hr water fast a few days ago & I'm ready for a change.

Yes - Go hog wild!

Just double check the ingredients to make sure they don't list veggie oil or other crappy stuff (especially the flavored ones). Also, I'm told they can be crushed up and used as breading for fish, chicken, etc. But haven't tried it yet.

Hmmm, cheap crunchy salty snack, with the following nutritional profile vs. potato chips, YES PLEASE...

1oz Clancy's (Aldi Brand) Wavy Potato Chips
    - 10g Fat
    - 16g Carbs
    - 2g Protein
    1oz Clancy's Original Pork Rinds
    - 10g Fat
    - 0g Carbs
    - 16g Protein

JWBooth is spot-on though regarding the sodium, which can be 3-4 times that of potato chips. Which I find surprising, because these didnt actually taste salty at all to me, despite being rather high in sodium.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I just bought a bag early this week from a local Family Dollar store. Just pork skin and salt, according to label. I got mine plain. I don't have the bag so I can't give you the brand, but this is a good excuse to go and get more if you all really want that information...

jaye is offline Senior Member
    I just bought some, too. Old Dutch brand plain with just pork rinds and salt. They are way too salty but were delicious dipped in guacamole! Next time I'm at a mexican grocery I'm going to see what I can find.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Also, I'm told they can be crushed up and used as breading for fish, chicken, etc. But haven't tried it yet.
    I used to make coconut chicken breasts with pork rinds. I really need to start making them again because they were really good!

Take a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and dip them in a beaten egg. Roll them in a 50/50 mix of crushed pork rinds (pretty much to a powder) and shredded unsweetened coconut. Put them in the oven preheated to 350F and bake until done.

They really don't taste like pork, and even my incredibly picky super-SAD ex liked them.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Linny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    You shouldn't normally see them cooked in any thing because they're cooked in their fat.
    I agree. They are a by-product from the rendering of lard from the skin. So they will only be cooked in lard.

I made my own chicken cracklings a few weeks ago by rendering my own schmaltz. So delicious!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    [QUOTE=RitaRose;876780]I used to make coconut chicken breasts with pork rinds. I really need to start making them again because they were really good!

Take a couple of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and dip them in a beaten egg. Roll them in a 50/50 mix of crushed pork rinds (pretty much to a powder) and shredded unsweetened coconut. Put them in the oven preheated to 350F and bake until done.QUOTE]

Oh. My. Gawd. My I'm-doing-Primal-just-because-you-are-and-you-are-the-cook husband will NEVER go back to SAD if I cook stuff like this!! This is like being on the fairway at the county fair and being TOLD to eat the the deep-fried Twinkies! (insert hysterical, mentally unstable cackle here)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast