Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "What the...?!" Quotes from Social Media "Friends" page 2

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    I've never heard of snacks before bedtime! The closest I've seen was a kid I used to babysit that got a bottle of milk as he was falling asleep, which made him cough to the point of vomiting frequently. Made me so sad, but that's what his mum wanted.
    WTF! Who would do that to their kid?? That would qualify as child abuse IMHO...wow that poor child!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    *shrugs* my kids get a snack before bedtime. sometimes people eat early and go to bed late. if we eat dinner at 5, bed at 9, and then get out of bed at 9 and breakfast at 10, that's 17 hours that a growing kid isn't eating.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Love me some conventional nonsense.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Meh, my kids eat whenever they want, or don't. Whatever. We don't have crap in the house so they eat meat, eggs, a little veggies, and some fruit. We have no set routine in da house. Gotta learn to roll with the punches in this family kiddo.

Oh, and I dont do that facebook crap .....my business is on there, but not personally.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-25-2012 at 09:27 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't so shocked about the snack as I was about the bed time stuff.

I have no problem with a snack time before bed if that works for the kiddo/family. For a spell, DS was waking up at 2 am hungry and it was not cool for the parents. So, a banana before bed is a good option for the parents. LOL

It was more like the timing. If kids have their snack, they stay up until "bed time." if they don't have their snack, they can't continue playing until bed time, they have to go "straight to bed!" as if not-eating is punished.

That doesn't make sense to me. It's ok not to eat, and it would make sense to me to simply let the kids play and then go "right, its' bed time." And if the kid missed out on the snack, then so be it. And if the kid ate, then so be it.

It's like "eat or go to bed now!" that is confusing to me.

and I love FB.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    If we eat dinner at 5:30 and 14 yr.old stays up late he is going to need to eat again, so he eats. I don't believe in controlling his food. Everything we have in the house is good and he can be the judge of what he needs to eat and when.

I just don't get the attraction of FB. It reminds me if of the holiday newsletters some friends used to send us, I never liked them either.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    ohi love those holiday newsletters. good to know you don't so i dont send you one!

not defending the mom, just saying that i can envision myself doing that. my kids eat like nuts, all the time. but i know there are some kids who do not eat, and if faced with the prospect of eating OR playing, they will choose to play and then wake up at 2 AM because they were actually hungry, and wind up making nighttime particularly unpleasant for the parents. who knows, it may have been such a situation.

now what i don't get is when i see parents feed their kids crap, and then even if the kid is full the parent makes them finish it. i can sort of understand making a child finish eating something that's nutritious (though i also see the harm in this), but are they benefiting in any way all from finishing their cake or hamburger bun? i don't see that on FB, but i've seen it personally and i always scratch my head at that one.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes my daughter gets a "snack" before bedtime. It's usually the dinner that she didn't finish because she was either distracted by wanting to be outside playing or she just wasn't hungry then. Either way, if she's hungry later, she eats the rest of her dinner. I don't think I've had to get her something else to eat for years - but if she was hungry even after she'd had a good dinner, she'd get a piece of cheese before bed. I'm not a fan of forcing kids to eat or making them go to bed hungry. These are how food issues happen. We don't waste food, and dinner is family sit-together-and-talk time, but aside from that I try not to make a big deal out of anything.

grayumm is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some of my extended family eats sugar cereal at like 8-9pm... they aren`t exactly fit...

When I was a kid I hated vegetables (I think it was just how my parents cooked them so they were mushy) so if I didn't want to eat my veggies then they'd make me eat a PB&J sandwich. I felt like crap most of my childhood; but I feel like awesome now!
    Learn to swim.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12