Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri-Herbed Pizza Crust page 2

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So a pizza splurge with paleo flours don't make us sick
    I think Choco's point is the potential long-term dangers rather than any immediate sickness like from gluten.

My main issues with "paleo flours" is that I like to use fresh ingredients whenever possible - and unless you're grinding them yourself (does anyone actually do that?) they could have been standing around for god-knows-how-long. Unless you can somehow verify the production/storage process, dates & times, etc, I think they have to be classed as "industrially processed" foods and for that reason - I'm out!! (Not that I've got any kind of problem with those who choose to eat them, of course. I just don't see how "paleo flours" are even remotely paleo.)

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    I think Choco's point is the potential long-term dangers rather than any immediate sickness like from gluten.

My main issues with "paleo flours" is that I like to use fresh ingredients whenever possible - and unless you're grinding them yourself (does anyone actually do that?) they could have been standing around for god-knows-how-long. Unless you can somehow verify the production/storage process, dates & times, etc, I think they have to be classed as "industrially processed" foods and for that reason - I'm out!! (Not that I've got any kind of problem with those who choose to eat them, of course. I just don't see how "paleo flours" are even remotely paleo.)
    I understand what you are saying.

Mark actually blogs positively about coconut flour (ground coconut) and almond meal (ground almonds) as well gives recipes here and here.

I really didn't think occasional use was controversial in the primal world. I feel about cheeses and milk the way you do about ground coconut and almond. Arguments on both sides for and against. Both have points I suppose.

I like to use fresh ingredients where possible too. There is nothing like fresh fruit, veggies and fresh organic meat! Matter of fact, I'm tweaking a recipe with all of the forementioned and hope to post it this week if tweaked to perfection
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

zilog is offline Senior Member
    I feel about cheeses and milk the way you do about ground coconut and almond.
    That's a really good point actually. It's definitely better to source all these things as locally as possible so you know how they're produced.

I'm tweaking a recipe with all of the forementioned and hope to post it this week if tweaked to perfection
    Look forward to it!!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by curlygirl View Post
    My husband and son are Celiac and can not eat wheat. I am gluten intolerant and get very sick if I do. Happened to me a week or so ago at my first non paleo meal -and I've been doing this a while. Gluten is poison - especially to some people. So a pizza splurge with paleo flours don't make us sick, but wheat sure does! There are many others in the same boat.
    Rice flour, tapioca starch and potato starch blended together make a very good substitute for wheat flour. If you add one part sorghum flour into the mix, it'll even taste a little like whole wheat flour. Any of these four options are far healthier than baking some kind of rancid nut meal, the calories will be much lower and it'll come out much closer to a normal pizza. Any pizza crust you try and make is going to be empty calories, but at least this way you're not eating varnish.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely gonna try this one soon. I tried the last one you posted and it turned out awesome. It tasted exactly like a regular pizza. That was my first pizza since going primal 9 months ago.

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I tried a pizza crust made with ground chicken breasts and cheese -- it was horrible. Yours looks more promising.

Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    I'm definitely gonna try this one soon. I tried the last one you posted and it turned out awesome. It tasted exactly like a regular pizza. That was my first pizza since going primal 9 months ago.
    Woot!
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Billings32 is offline Junior Member
    Looks gorgeous.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Billings32 View Post
    Looks gorgeous.
    thanks!