Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a cholesterol expert! Please help! page 2

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    There are no circumstances where it is advantageous to take statins.

How Statins Really Work Explains Why They Don't Really Work.
    I'm not so sure about that yet. I just read a study (still trying to re-find the link) that says LDL-C is a good predictor of CVD when it is elevated but not so good when it is in the CW target range. When LDL-C is in the target range, LDL-P is a better predictor. This may explain why 50% of people with CVD events have good LDL-C levels. Statins may be good to lower LDL-C to the target range but probably not so good to keep taking them to drive LDL-C even lower thinking that will further reduce risk of CVD.

babo91 is offline Junior Member
    I think haemoglobin a1c tests and LDL particle size tests are better predictors

Young092 is offline Junior Member
    Looks perfect.
    Last edited by Young092; 06-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I'm not so sure about that yet. I just read a study (still trying to re-find the link) that says LDL-C is a good predictor of CVD when it is elevated but not so good when it is in the CW target range. When LDL-C is in the target range, LDL-P is a better predictor. This may explain why 50% of people with CVD events have good LDL-C levels. Statins may be good to lower LDL-C to the target range but probably not so good to keep taking them to drive LDL-C even lower thinking that will further reduce risk of CVD.
    Actually, LDL-P is the predictor, and LDL-C is only a good predictor of CVD when it's correlated with LDL-P.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Luce is offline Senior Member
    I will have to take statins no matter what, total cholesterol is almost 500.
    Damn familial hypercholesterolemia.
    No limits, only my will and the worlds I build.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    I will have to take statins no matter what, total cholesterol is almost 500.
    Damn familial hypercholesterolemia.
    What are your circumstances - gender, age, health?

What are your subfractions - ldl, hdl, trigs?

Statins have only ever been shown to benefit middle-aged men who've had a vascular event (heart attack, stroke etc). Are you one of these?

The other thing that seems never to be written about statins is the low compliance in taking them. They can be debilitating. I know because I fit the profile for taking them and did for a few weeks before I decided I could never be healthy and take them because of the muscle and joint pain
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12