Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Please help, I need advice page 34

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    When I was in school and bulimic, I decided to go to the on-campus therapist for a one-on-one. I didn't mention that I was bulimic. I wanted to see if she would know there was something wrong with me. At the end of the session, she actually said to me, "I don't know why you came here to see me." And I thought to myself, "Hah! Some therapist!" So I stopped going. Shockingly, she didn't magically know what was going on in my head when I didn't tell her. I wound up being bulimic for another year before I finally stopped. (This was only after I wound up going to another therapist, a psychiatrist who was patient and offered a different point of view on things, one whom I wound up trusting and being honest about my food issues, and about so many other things.)

If you're going to go to a doctor and/or a psychiatrist/psychologist, it will be pointless if you don't tell him or her about your food issues.

As difficult as it may be to talk about all the stuff that's going on, you have to give it an honest try.
    I know, I mean I guess I'd tell a psychologist/psychiatrist about my food issues but I don't want to be weighed and I don't want any sort of physical check-up because I'm embarrassed about my body, so could I get a referral from a GP but say it's for other problems like depression/anxiety and then they wouldn't have to weigh me?

Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    You keep saying "if I can sort this out on my own" but the thing is, you can't trust yourself to decide when that is. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been there.

Once you're out and you look back you'll know what I'm talking about - your state of mind right now can't make that decision, you definitely need outside help.
    Yeah, I'm really bad at making decisions at the moment. I have an exam in less than 2 days and I've hardly studied at all because I literally can't focus or motivate myself because I keep changing my mind about how much I should be eating. And then I start obsessing over macros and types of food and I'm over-complicating everything and I know that if I keep obsessing I'll either binge or start starving myself again.

Btw I was supposed to be talking to a counsellor today but I didn't because I logged onto the site but I think they were busy.

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    Everyone keeps telling you to get advice. Why are you and Gadsie now both on the "I'll go to counselling but not talk about the issues" - do you seriously think anyone is going to endorse that? What do you want people to say?

oxide is offline Senior Member
    From starvation? Of course not. But there's no way to know about anything else, such as "Heart damage, which ultimately killed singer Karen Carpenter.
    Read my posts, Jackie. I very specifically asked Ribbons to have the doctor check her to make sure that her heart was beating as it should. My remark may have sounded off the cuff, but it was deliberate.
    Last edited by oxide; 06-11-2012 at 04:34 AM.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Quote Originally Posted by amberlee View Post
    Everyone keeps telling you to get advice. Why are you and Gadsie now both on the "I'll go to counselling but not talk about the issues" - do you seriously think anyone is going to endorse that? What do you want people to say?
    I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was asking if it's possible to tell the psych about the issues but just not the GP because they'd have more reason to weigh me if I told them about my ED.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Your answers say it all, there is no rationality in them.
    I'll see a doctor but I don't want to be weighed.
    Can I get a referal on the basis of anxiety or depression?
    I'm eating less calories than my body needs every day,
    Then you say, I'm trying to eat healthy.
    You are in denial of a problem, you admit it on an academic level, but not from your heart.
    How is anyone supposed to help you if you aren't truthful with them.
    You need to let go of this food obsession for now, stop counting calories at all.
    You need to focus 100% on your exams, make some commitments, set some goals.

eg Once I finish my exams I will organise to see a doctor, until then I need to eat well, sleep well & look after myself so I can do my best in the exams.

Walking is an excellent therapy to clear your head, do whatever you need to just to push it back for a little while, knowing you will deal with it in the near future.

Make up a little mantra like:
    My Body & mind needs nutrition.

You need to keep telling yourself this, every time the food thing comes up in your head or make up a mantra more appropriate for you, but you have to eat to get well.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Read my posts, Jackie. I very specifically asked Ribbons to have the doctor check her to make sure that her heart was beating as it should. My remark may have sounded off the cuff, but it was deliberate.
    I did read your posts, oxide. Specifically:

Ribbons, if you are 5'2" and ~ 130 lbs, you're not about to die. It's a healthy weight.
    You're telling her that she's not about to die, and I agree, she's not about to die from starvation. But her heart (let alone other vital organs) might be very, very far from healthy, and that's why I'm urging her to see her doctor and, along with that, really open up to a therapist.

No need for us to argue; we're all on the same side here. We all want Ribbons -- and anyone else suffering with an ED -- to get the help needed to become healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Your answers say it all, there is no rationality in them.
    I'll see a doctor but I don't want to be weighed.
    Can I get a referal on the basis of anxiety or depression?
    I'm eating less calories than my body needs every day,
    Then you say, I'm trying to eat healthy.
    You are in denial of a problem, you admit it on an academic level, but not from your heart.
    How is anyone supposed to help you if you aren't truthful with them.
    You need to let go of this food obsession for now, stop counting calories at all.
    You need to focus 100% on your exams, make some commitments, set some goals.

eg Once I finish my exams I will organise to see a doctor, until then I need to eat well, sleep well & look after myself so I can do my best in the exams.

Walking is an excellent therapy to clear your head, do whatever you need to just to push it back for a little while, knowing you will deal with it in the near future.

Make up a little mantra like:
    My Body & mind needs nutrition.

You need to keep telling yourself this, every time the food thing comes up in your head or make up a mantra more appropriate for you, but you have to eat to get well.
    Am I really not making sense though? I thought I just explained that I'd tell the psych but not the GP because I don't want to be weighed... Why doesn't anyone understand that?
    Btw I don't count calories on purpose anymore. I haven't done that in weeks (my sense of time isn't very good at the moment so I really don't know how long it's been). Like I said before, I'm not under-eating. I can't let go of the obsessions though and I'm not thinking straight so tell me if anything I said doesn't make sense.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    I know, I mean I guess I'd tell a psychologist/psychiatrist about my food issues but I don't want to be weighed and I don't want any sort of physical check-up because I'm embarrassed about my body, so could I get a referral from a GP but say it's for other problems like depression/anxiety and then they wouldn't have to weigh me?
    Ribbons -- you **have** to get a physical check up. You have to. Even if you're embarrassed about your body. Even if you think you're fine. You have to get a physical check up.

A doctor's sole purpose is to make sure that your body -- whether or not you're embarrassed about it -- is working and is healthy.

The very fact that you don't want to go to someone who would see if you're actually healthy, someone who can help you, because you're embarrassed about your body, speaks volumes. You have an eating disorder, Ribbons. You need to get help. You need to get healthy.

You need to stop making excuses ("I logged into the site but I think they were busy"; "I don't want to be weighed"; "I don't want any sort of physical check-up because I'm embarrassed about my body") and start taking control. Right now, you are not in control. Your eating disorder is in control. You're stronger than that. You can take control of your life, right this very second, by making a doctor's appointment. Right now.

Be in control, Ribbons. Get to the doctor pronto.

Ribbons -- you **have** to get a physical check up. You have to. Even if you're embarrassed about your body. Even if you think you're fine. You have to get a physical check up.

A doctor's sole purpose is to make sure that your body -- whether or not you're embarrassed about it -- is working and is healthy.

The very fact that you don't want to go to someone who would see if you're actually healthy, someone who can help you, because you're embarrassed about your body, speaks volumes. You have an eating disorder, Ribbons. You need to get help. You need to get healthy.

You need to stop making excuses ("I logged into the site but I think they were busy"; "I don't want to be weighed"; "I don't want any sort of physical check-up because I'm embarrassed about my body") and start taking control. Right now, you are not in control. Your eating disorder is in control. You're stronger than that. You can take control of your life, right this very second, by making a doctor's appointment. Right now.

Be in control, Ribbons. Get to the doctor pronto.
    Why do I need a physical check-up? I haven't had any health problems. I'm sure I would have noticed if my heart stopped working or something. Is it really not possible to just get a referral from the GP for a psychologist/psychiatrist? Because it's really not about my physical health. I'm eating enough, I take vitamin supplements, I don't eat gluten, sugar, vegetables oils, etc. most of the time. If I told the dr that I just have some mental issues but don't mention the ED then why would they weigh me?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Go do it.
    If that is what you need to do then do it.
    Make an appointment, tell the doctor you are suffering from anxiety & depression and you would like to speak to a psychologist/psychiatrist to help you work through this problem.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast