Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 353

Thread: Please help, I need advice page 33

  1. #321
    Ribbons's Avatar
    Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    194
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by moorewapyun View Post
    I really think you should find someone in person. They would likely spend the first couple sessions getting to know you, not even necessarily asking you tough questions. Then as you became more comfortable, you could start discussing what's troubling you. Over time you would work with the therapist to get to the heart of the matter and what is causing your behaviors, not simply overcoming the symptoms but helping to alleviate the obsessive thoughts.
    Yeah I know, that's why I'll be going to the doctor if I can't get through this on my own.

  2. #322
    fatfran's Avatar
    fatfran is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    28
    I'm still learning the primal ropes because i'm only 2 months into it but I've shed 15lbs. Fat is your friend. Eat it & love it. I found this easier said than done but it has worked for me so far. Do as suggested, sounds good to me.

  3. #323
    Ribbons's Avatar
    Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfran View Post
    I'm still learning the primal ropes because i'm only 2 months into it but I've shed 15lbs. Fat is your friend. Eat it & love it. I found this easier said than done but it has worked for me so far. Do as suggested, sounds good to me.
    That's one of the reasons primal and calorie counting don't work well together for me, because I freak out over the calories in fat and it's the easiest thing to reduce.

  4. #324
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    Yeah I know, that's why I'll be going to the doctor if I can't get through this on my own.
    You've got no idea how serious your situation is, I have read through segments of this thread to get a picture of your story, Everyone has a mental disorder of some type at some point in their life, whether they know it or not, there are two typical personalities, those that seem to be weaker on the face of it and seek external advice & direction when they feel things aren't right and get help at the appropriate time, then there are the others who seem to be in control, they are actually in denial and let things go until finally they are unable to keep anything together, they crash in a big way, then get the help they need. It seems to me you are of the latter type, if you do not get treatment soon, then at some point you will become completly irrational and it will be obvious to everyone around you that you are in dire need of help.
    I have experienced and seen various mental ilnesses in my life and it doesn't matter whether it is an eating disorder, depression, delusion, anxiety etc. The fact is the longer they go on the more this mode of thinking becomes normal for you and the brain creates new inappropriate behavioural pathways, once you get to recieving treatment then you need to work backwards and retrain your brain to adopt appropriate behaviours.
    If you want to finish your year 12 first, then the only way that will happen well is to prioritise, what is more important to you your year 12 or this obsession with food & weight, they are mutually exclusive, while you stress yourself mentally and your body with poor nutrition there is no way you can put in your best effort on your exams, and it would not represent your true abilities.
    You need to put your hand up now and ask for proper help with this, get your parents on board fully, get a doctor, and any relevant specialists required, your health is more important than anything else.

  5. #325
    Ribbons's Avatar
    Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    You've got no idea how serious your situation is, I have read through segments of this thread to get a picture of your story, Everyone has a mental disorder of some type at some point in their life, whether they know it or not, there are two typical personalities, those that seem to be weaker on the face of it and seek external advice & direction when they feel things aren't right and get help at the appropriate time, then there are the others who seem to be in control, they are actually in denial and let things go until finally they are unable to keep anything together, they crash in a big way, then get the help they need. It seems to me you are of the latter type, if you do not get treatment soon, then at some point you will become completly irrational and it will be obvious to everyone around you that you are in dire need of help.
    I have experienced and seen various mental ilnesses in my life and it doesn't matter whether it is an eating disorder, depression, delusion, anxiety etc. The fact is the longer they go on the more this mode of thinking becomes normal for you and the brain creates new inappropriate behavioural pathways, once you get to recieving treatment then you need to work backwards and retrain your brain to adopt appropriate behaviours.
    If you want to finish your year 12 first, then the only way that will happen well is to prioritise, what is more important to you your year 12 or this obsession with food & weight, they are mutually exclusive, while you stress yourself mentally and your body with poor nutrition there is no way you can put in your best effort on your exams, and it would not represent your true abilities.
    You need to put your hand up now and ask for proper help with this, get your parents on board fully, get a doctor, and any relevant specialists required, your health is more important than anything else.
    I recognise that I have a problem but I don't need any immediate help. I'm not underweight or malnourished and I'm not starving myself. I'm trying to just eat normally. And there's still a chance I can sort it out on my own but I'll go to the doctor if I can't.

  6. #326
    zoebird's Avatar
    zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    8,087
    This isn't about food, your calorie intake, or your weight.

    This is about your mental health. That's where you need help.

  7. #327
    Ribbons's Avatar
    Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    This isn't about food, your calorie intake, or your weight.

    This is about your mental health. That's where you need help.
    I think you're right. And I'm starting to think I have a personality disorder as well. Ugh, nearly everyone on this thread is right, but I keep making excuses and arguing with myself all the time and I'm really confused about what I even want. And I keep forgetting that I actually have a future and I'm not going to die as soon as school is over.
    If I go to a doctor to get a referral for a psychologist/psychiatrist and I don't tell them about my food issues will they still want to weigh me?

  8. #328
    dragonjax's Avatar
    dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    If I go to a doctor to get a referral for a psychologist/psychiatrist and I don't tell them about my food issues will they still want to weigh me?
    When I was in school and bulimic, I decided to go to the on-campus therapist for a one-on-one. I didn't mention that I was bulimic. I wanted to see if she would know there was something wrong with me. At the end of the session, she actually said to me, "I don't know why you came here to see me." And I thought to myself, "Hah! Some therapist!" So I stopped going. Shockingly, she didn't magically know what was going on in my head when I didn't tell her. I wound up being bulimic for another year before I finally stopped. (This was only after I wound up going to another therapist, a psychiatrist who was patient and offered a different point of view on things, one whom I wound up trusting and being honest about my food issues, and about so many other things.)

    If you're going to go to a doctor and/or a psychiatrist/psychologist, it will be pointless if you don't tell him or her about your food issues.

    As difficult as it may be to talk about all the stuff that's going on, you have to give it an honest try.

  9. #329
    nixxy's Avatar
    nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    284
    You keep saying "if I can sort this out on my own" but the thing is, you can't trust yourself to decide when that is. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been there.

    Once you're out and you look back you'll know what I'm talking about - your state of mind right now can't make that decision, you definitely need outside help.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

    Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

    My blog
    My journal

  10. #330
    Ribbons's Avatar
    Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    194
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    When I was in school and bulimic, I decided to go to the on-campus therapist for a one-on-one. I didn't mention that I was bulimic. I wanted to see if she would know there was something wrong with me. At the end of the session, she actually said to me, "I don't know why you came here to see me." And I thought to myself, "Hah! Some therapist!" So I stopped going. Shockingly, she didn't magically know what was going on in my head when I didn't tell her. I wound up being bulimic for another year before I finally stopped. (This was only after I wound up going to another therapist, a psychiatrist who was patient and offered a different point of view on things, one whom I wound up trusting and being honest about my food issues, and about so many other things.)

    If you're going to go to a doctor and/or a psychiatrist/psychologist, it will be pointless if you don't tell him or her about your food issues.

    As difficult as it may be to talk about all the stuff that's going on, you have to give it an honest try.
    I know, I mean I guess I'd tell a psychologist/psychiatrist about my food issues but I don't want to be weighed and I don't want any sort of physical check-up because I'm embarrassed about my body, so could I get a referral from a GP but say it's for other problems like depression/anxiety and then they wouldn't have to weigh me?

    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    You keep saying "if I can sort this out on my own" but the thing is, you can't trust yourself to decide when that is. I know that sounds harsh, but I've been there.

    Once you're out and you look back you'll know what I'm talking about - your state of mind right now can't make that decision, you definitely need outside help.
    Yeah, I'm really bad at making decisions at the moment. I have an exam in less than 2 days and I've hardly studied at all because I literally can't focus or motivate myself because I keep changing my mind about how much I should be eating. And then I start obsessing over macros and types of food and I'm over-complicating everything and I know that if I keep obsessing I'll either binge or start starving myself again.


    Btw I was supposed to be talking to a counsellor today but I didn't because I logged onto the site but I think they were busy.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •