Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help, I need advice page 25

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    This. Seriously. This.

And add me to the "try martial arts" column. My tae kwon do school (called a "dojang") has some of the most supportive, wonderful people there that I've ever met. When we spar, we all wear protective gear, from head to foot. Seriously - it's the only place I can think of where you not only are supposed to kick and punch the heck out of people -- they want you to come back for more!

And there is nothing -- NOTHING -- as empowering as breaking a board with your hand or foot.

Ribbons, you are anorexic. You are. Whether you're overweight or underweight doesn't matter: you are anorexic. The thing about eating disorders is that they're not just some diet that you can turn on and off, or just "power through" tough times. Eating disorders affect the way you think. And they physically hurt you, and can kill you. That's not hyperbole. Anorexia is the most deadly mental disorder there is. And it's more common than Alzheimer's. But there are so many people who can help you get healthy. There are so many resources you can reach out to. Please give them a chance. Please believe that you deserve to be healthy. You **deserve** it.
    Haha I can't kick and punch people; it just feels wrong.
    My mum keeps saying I'm anorexic too but I think she thinks I'm just on a diet. I don't think she understands the feelings behind it.
    Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to change my mindset after exams when I'm a bit less stressed.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    My mum keeps saying I'm anorexic too but I think she thinks I'm just on a diet. I don't think she understands the feelings behind it.
    Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to change my mindset after exams when I'm a bit less stressed.
    Ribbons, she won't understand until you tell her. If you want her to understand, you need to TELL HER! She can't help you until she understands your thought process, because your current thinking is that of a person with disordered thinking. She won't understand because she hasn't had to go through this life hurdle.

Excerpt: Anorexia nervosa can be a difficult disorder to diagnose, since individuals with anorexia often attempt to hide the disorder. Denial and secrecy frequently accompany other symptoms. It is unusual for an individual with anorexia to seek professional help because the individual typically does not accept that she or he has a problem (denial).

Does this sound familiar? Ribbons, you need to get professional help. You won't be able to just change your mindset. This is a psychological disorder that needs to be addressed by a professional. Please make sure you go to the Dr.! You are doing the right thing by speaking to your parents and going to see a Dr. I know it's hard to see it now, but it's the only way to get on the road to recovery and to start enjoying your life again. I know you aren't enjoying your life as much right now because you are being consumed day in and day out by your disorder. I've been there. Life will be better once you accept that you have an eating disorder and that you get professional help for it.
    Last edited by Metric; 06-06-2012 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    Ribbons, she won't understand until you tell her. If you want her to understand, you need to TELL HER! She can't help you until she understands your thought process, because your current thinking is that of a person with disordered thinking. She won't understand because she hasn't had to go through this life hurdle.
    I tried to explain but she didn't understand so I'll just have to accept that.

Excerpt: Anorexia nervosa can be a difficult disorder to diagnose, since individuals with anorexia often attempt to hide the disorder. Denial and secrecy frequently accompany other symptoms. It is unusual for an individual with anorexia to seek professional help because the individual typically does not accept that she or he has a problem (denial).

Does this sound familiar? Ribbons, you need to get professional help. You won't be able to just change your mindset. This is a psychological disorder that needs to be addressed by a professional. Please make sure you go to the Dr.! You are doing the right thing by speaking to your parents and going to see a Dr. I know it's hard to see it now, but it's the only way to get on the road to recovery and to start enjoying your life again. I know you aren't enjoying your life as much right now because you are being consumed day in and day out by your disorder. I've been there. Life will be better once you accept that you have an eating disorder and that you get professional help for it.
    I don't remember what I used to think about, or do in my spare time, or talk about before this. I just realised how empty my life would be without the disorder.

billp is offline Senior Member
    I tried to explain but she didn't understand so I'll just have to accept that.
    Best thing is to keep telling her. Some people can be very stubborn but usually they all learn, even mothers. Learning is all about repetition.
    I don't remember what I used to think about, or do in my spare time, or talk about before this. I just realised how empty my life would be without the disorder.
    Yeah, that was why people asked about hobbies etc. You definitely need to find some sort of hobby that doesn't involve sitting about worrying about calories and planning diets. It might feel wrong to you to kick and punch people, but it is nothing compared to starving and cutting yourself, and martial arts are great fun! Any hobby will do though, especially if it is outdoors.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Nicely done! So glad you talked to your parents. Now take them up on the offer of seeing a doctor. Tell them you are afraid of being weighed and it's possible they'll let you skip that at first. Although as you enter treatment they will want to monitor your progress.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to kick and punch people. Martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about discipline and fitness. Did you know tai chi chuan is a martial art? There is no punching and kicking of opponents there, although there is a two person aspect to it called push hands where you maintain contact with a partner, but that's usually taught to more advanced students. There are many moves in tai chi that are the same as kung fu, but are done in a slow motion rather than fast.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Best thing is to keep telling her. Some people can be very stubborn but usually they all learn, even mothers. Learning is all about repetition.
    - be blunt about how you feel, no beating around the bush!! Tell her exactly what you are thinking. You won't be able to get all the help you need if you are not 100 % honest. Again, I really regret not telling my parents about my impulse control disorder while I was suffering from it. It would have given me someone to go to, in addition to my psychiatrist visits.

Yeah, that was why people asked about hobbies etc. You definitely need to find some sort of hobby that doesn't involve sitting about worrying about calories and planning diets.
    - The Dr will help in this regard. The will help you to move beyond your disordered thinking about health and it's over-consumption of your life. This is a very important step in the process to recovery. I agree, find something you enjoy doing, and when you find yourself thinking about it, do your hobby. The Dr and I figured out that puzzles and cross-word puzzles) were a thing to do when the impulse came, because it allowed me to focus on something else, rather than the impulse to pull. Find something. One of my favourite hobbies now is photography. I go out and I take photo's of nature/city, etc. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera. It's just something to get you out there when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post

Yeah, that was why people asked about hobbies etc. You definitely need to find some sort of hobby that doesn't involve sitting about worrying about calories and planning diets. It might feel wrong to you to kick and punch people, but it is nothing compared to starving and cutting yourself, and martial arts are great fun! Any hobby will do though, especially if it is outdoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    You don't have to kick and punch people. Martial arts isn't just about fighting, it's about discipline and fitness. Did you know tai chi chuan is a martial art? There is no punching and kicking of opponents there, although there is a two person aspect to it called push hands where you maintain contact with a partner, but that's usually taught to more advanced students. There are many moves in tai chi that are the same as kung fu, but are done in a slow motion rather than fast.
    Well I'll find some sort of hobby when exams are over. I was also thinking of doing aikido..
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Nicely done! So glad you talked to your parents. Now take them up on the offer of seeing a doctor. Tell them you are afraid of being weighed and it's possible they'll let you skip that at first. Although as you enter treatment they will want to monitor your progress.

Keep us updated on your progress.
    Thanks, I will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    - be blunt about how you feel, no beating around the bush!! Tell her exactly what you are thinking. You won't be able to get all the help you need if you are not 100 % honest. Again, I really regret not telling my parents about my impulse control disorder while I was suffering from it. It would have given me someone to go to, in addition to my psychiatrist visits.

- The Dr will help in this regard. The will help you to move beyond your disordered thinking about health and it's over-consumption of your life. This is a very important step in the process to recovery. I agree, find something you enjoy doing, and when you find yourself thinking about it, do your hobby. The Dr and I figured out that puzzles and cross-word puzzles) were a thing to do when the impulse came, because it allowed me to focus on something else, rather than the impulse to pull. Find something. One of my favourite hobbies now is photography. I go out and I take photo's of nature/city, etc. It doesn't have to be an expensive camera. It's just something to get you out there when you need it.
    I don't think it's necessary to tell my parents everything. They'll get worried if they know I sometimes cut myself and get very anxious but it's fine because I'm not always like that and I'm not considering suicide for anytime soon. I will find a hobby but I'm still a bit worried that I'll stop caring about losing weight.

Also I still have an online counselling appointment for next Monday.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I just realised how empty my life would be without the disorder.

This is the most amazing thing you've written in the entire thread!!!
    Do you think you can say that to the doctor? Even if you have to be alone with the doctor without your mom? May I ask how long you've wanted to lose those rolls of fat? (the doc may ask you this too, so you should probably have an answer) Yes, the doctor has to weigh you, they all do that. But ask the doctor if you're healthy. Is there good muscle on your shoulders? Is your heart beating like it should? Are you strong? That sort of thing.

I have to disagree with billp on the number of calories. 900 calories is not enough, true. But I don't think you'll starve on it, not yet, and it's certainly better than what you're doing now. The reason I asked about 900 is that I think it would help you if you had a constant number of calories a day, even if it's low. You're yo-yo-ing between 0 and 2000 and it's confusing the hell out of your body. Get used to eating a little and you can worry about ramping up later. IMO, it's more important that you don't freak out and have the bad thoughts that you had the other night.

[To be honest, I'm not sure about 2000 . On a normal (wheat) diet, I lived on 1200 a day. On Primal I think I'm closer to 1500, but I don't keep track. At your height you need a little more, but 2000 might be a wee bit too much, especially now.]

Are you trying primal? Have you been through carb flu or anything like that yet?
    900 Primal calories will likely fill you up, until you get used to it.

What do you usually eat on a 2000 calorie day, the days that freak you out?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post

This is the most amazing thing you've written in the entire thread!!!
    Do you think you can say that to the doctor? Even if you have to be alone with the doctor without your mom? May I ask how long you've wanted to lose those rolls of fat? (the doc may ask you this too, so you should probably have an answer) Yes, the doctor has to weigh you, they all do that. But ask the doctor if you're healthy. Is there good muscle on your shoulders? Is your heart beating like it should? Are you strong? That sort of thing.
    Haha thanks. Hmm, I've wanted to lose weight since I was a kid. I've had this book that has the calorie and fat content of food since I was about 11 or 12 and I used that to make diet plans. But I also recently found a diary I wrote in when I was like 10 and I'd written down my weight and my goals and I recorded my food in there for a while and rated each day based on how many calories I'd had. I don't even remember doing it.
    Btw I don't think I'm unhealthy, just fat. My heart seems to be working fine and I still have muscles, even though they're probably a little less strong than they used to be when I did gym.

I have to disagree with billp on the number of calories. 900 calories is not enough, true. But I don't think you'll starve on it, not yet, and it's certainly better than what you're doing now. The reason I asked about 900 is that I think it would help you if you had a constant number of calories a day, even if it's low. You're yo-yo-ing between 0 and 2000 and it's confusing the hell out of your body. Get used to eating a little and you can worry about ramping up later. IMO, it's more important that you don't freak out and have the bad thoughts that you had the other night.

[To be honest, I'm not sure about 2000 . On a normal (wheat) diet, I lived on 1200 a day. On Primal I think I'm closer to 1500, but I don't keep track. At your height you need a little more, but 2000 might be a wee bit too much, especially now.]
    I know that 2000 is too much and I'm not aiming to eat that many calories, it just happens when I binge. I know that on CW I can lose around 0.5-1kg a week on 1200 calories. Actually that's on food less healthy than CW. I was eating a lot of sugar and even more carbs than CW recommends back then (this was nearly 2 years ago).

Are you trying primal? Have you been through carb flu or anything like that yet?
    Yeah I'm doing primal now. I don't really know if I've been through the carb flu or not because any symptoms that I have could also be due to eating less calories.

What do you usually eat on a 2000 calorie day, the days that freak you out?
    It varies but the most recent one (2 days ago) I ate too many nuts like I knew I would and I also had some meat, veggies, fruit, and dark chocolate, so it wasn't a particularly unhealthy binge but it was still pretty bad.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast