Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help, I need advice page 16

Ribbons is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyRoots View Post
    Australia has a largely national health care system. Most things are free at point of access, i.e. you don't have to pay anything. Go wherever is easiest for you to manage. An A&E department, your GP, or maybe you can google for a health care centre in town, or contact a clinic dealing with eating disorders. Do the googling on a library computer if you have to. Say you're going out shopping, or want to study quietly in the library. Whatever let's you get help while feeling safe doing it. There are services out there and they do want to help.
    Be totally honest with whoever you go to. Tell them how little you eat. Show them a food log if need be. Let them know how you think.

Ribbons, what I'd really want to do is hug you and be there to help you, but I am on the other side of the world, so all I can do is assure you that there is help, and there is a way.
    Aw thank you

I know that we have Medicare but I don't know if it would come up on my parents bills or something. But maybe I'll do some research if I don't get any better in the next few days/weeks.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbons View Post
    And I don't know when to go either because I don't want my parents to know.
    Now would be quite a good time to talk to whichever of your parents you are most happy about discussing something like this. If you insist on not telling them, you can always go at lunchtime tomorrow. Tell a few people you feel unwell then skip the rest of the day, saying you want to go to the doctor's. It's not untrue. You must have a family doctor too, how about going to see him or her?

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Now would be quite a good time to talk to whichever of your parents you are most happy about discussing something like this. If you insist on not telling them, you can always go at lunchtime tomorrow. Tell a few people you feel unwell then skip the rest of the day, saying you want to go to the doctor's. It's not untrue. You must have a family doctor too, how about going to see him or her?
    If I tell my parents they'll freak out and think i'm going to die any second and they'll force me to eat. Even now my mum asks me everyday what I've eaten. I guess it would be pretty easy to say I'm going to the library or something but I'd need to find out where to go and how to use the healthcare system so I'll do that if things get worse or don't improve. It's funny because we were recently learning about this at school but I wasn't paying attention because I was too focused on calorie counting.

Well, I don't know you parents, but if you really think they are going to be like that you can always say you are going to the library, as you say. I really wouldn't worry about how the healthcare system works. They will tell you when yo get there, anyway, and they can sort it out themselves. I think it would be a good idea to go on Monday.

Well, I don't know you parents, but if you really think they are going to be like that you can always say you are going to the library, as you say. I really wouldn't worry about how the healthcare system works. They will tell you when yo get there, anyway, and they can sort it out themselves. I think it would be a good idea to go on Monday.
    I think I'll wait a bit longer in case this is just a phase or something. But thanks I'll do what you said if I don't start thinking normally again soon.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    If I tell my parents they'll freak out and think i'm going to die any second and they'll force me to eat. Even now my mum asks me everyday what I've eaten. I guess it would be pretty easy to say I'm going to the library or something but I'd need to find out where to go and how to use the healthcare system so I'll do that if things get worse or don't improve. It's funny because we were recently learning about this at school but I wasn't paying attention because I was too focused on calorie counting.
    I know at 17 it is hard to believe your parents would have anything but an irrational reaction. However, I would imagine, if you sat one of them down and stated, "I need to talk to you.... blah blah blah" you would find that maybe you are selling them short. Your mom obviously realizes there is an issue. I think if you give her some credit and be honest, she'll probaby really step it up for you. Also, you clearly have a real issue, would it be so awful if your parents are upset? My guess is your parents are rational enough to realize you aren't going to die and force you to eat a pecan pie (sorry, my own personal craving right now) in one sitting. I say all this as I can look back at times when I knew my parents were going to kill me (not quickly or painlessly either) and it turns out they were quite rational. This isn't a car you wrecked or a boy you got caught in bed with, this is an illness and you need to ask your parents to be on your side to get well.

Obviously, I don't know your parents, so I could be completely wrong...but from years of being a daughter and a mom myself. I know parents, usually aren't all that off base.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by JennGlob View Post
    I know at 17 it is hard to believe your parents would have anything but an irrational reaction. However, I would imagine, if you sat one of them down and stated, "I need to talk to you.... blah blah blah" you would find that maybe you are selling them short. Your mom obviously realizes there is an issue. I think if you give her some credit and be honest, she'll probaby really step it up for you. Also, you clearly have a real issue, would it be so awful if your parents are upset? My guess is your parents are rational enough to realize you aren't going to die and force you to eat a pecan pie (sorry, my own personal craving right now) in one sitting. I say all this as I can look back at times when I knew my parents were going to kill me (not quickly or painlessly either) and it turns out they were quite rational. This isn't a car you wrecked or a boy you got caught in bed with, this is an illness and you need to ask your parents to be on your side to get well.

Obviously, I don't know your parents, so I could be completely wrong...but from years of being a daughter and a mom myself. I know parents, usually aren't all that off base.
    Haha no I'm sure they won't make me eat pecan pie but there have been a few times that I've fasted all day and tried to skip dinner but my parents asked me what I'd eaten that day and I didn't have an answer prepared so they made me sit there with them and eat in front of them. Also my mum thinks the solution to anorexia is just to eat, so I don't think she'd understand this anxiety.

shelleyldale is offline Junior Member
    Honestly, I think it might be just fine if your parents got you to eat. It's what you really really need right now. It's what everyone has been telling you to do. It's what we humans DO. I realize it's scary for you, but if your parents can help, then tell them!
    I'm a parent myself, and I hope to god my kids would tell me this and let me help them, or get another adult to help them.
    Most of all, hugs and love to you. You have gotten some great advice here. I want to urge you to tell your parents, because believe me, they already know enough. Your friends know something's up. There is really no down side to telling them, other than it's hard. But you are killing yourself and not living, and that's harder.

[...]there have been a few times that I've fasted all day and tried to skip dinner but my parents asked me what I'd eaten that day and I didn't have an answer prepared so they made me sit there with them and eat in front of them.
    They are on to you. They have worked out what people here have worked out - that even if you have not become visibly wasted yet you are going though an anorexic period. They are obviously very worried about you. Seeing as they have worked things out for themselves, there isn't really an reason not to talk to them about it. It will help them to tailor meals so they are more appetising for you and earn you a break from the studying pressure. In fact, you are probably going to have to study less and get outside more, as it sounds like it is making you ill.
    Also my mum thinks the solution to anorexia is just to eat, so I don't think she'd understand this anxiety.
    Heh. You mother is right of course. The reason why anorexia is a mental illness and such a dangerous one is because anorexics believe otherwise. You will find the anxiety abates once are eating more animal fats and are better nourished. Remember the brain is basically made out of fat. When you eat more of it the brain works better.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds all right. I wouldn't worry about eating rice though. It is harmless enough, The way this type of diet works is that you are trying to nourish yourself as completely as possible, then the body can shed excess fat it no longer needs to store (because it is getting animal fat to eat regularly, so no worries) and build better muscles from all the meat, and nutrients and carbohydrate from the veg and starch. If you don't eat carbs at all or have too little the body makes its own sugar from meat, so there is no real point in totally doing without them except for certain medical circumstances - being very overweight indeed (i.e. not you), or having a disease that can respond well to ketosis, like epilepsy or cancer.

As you are healthy and actually not very overweight there is no harm in eating things like rice. I eat potatoes and sweet potatoes, always in chip form and deep fried in tallow.
    That's obsessing. If you eat a diet rich in good quality meat, animal fat, green and coloured veg and some starchy food like rice and root veg you will just slim down naturally. No planning needed. I think you do need some sort of hobby to get you out of the house and add variety. How about something like Parkour? Outdoors, fun, meet new people and run and jump about over stuff.

In Melbourne:
    MELBOURNE | AUSTRALIAN PARKOUR ASSOCIATION - Developing and Teaching Parkour in Melbourne
    Elsewhere:
    AUSTRALIAN PARKOUR ASSOCIATION - Developing and Teaching Parkour in Australia

Pah. There is nothing to be confused about. Just eat real food until you are full, and avoid wheat, soy, HFCS and vegetable oils as they are all bad for you, plus don't eat sugary things unless you have been working out in the last few days. And stay away from anything with artificial sweeteners in, as giving your body a taste of sweetness with no follow up to digest is a very good way to make yourself extremely hungry for sugar.

Also, something to bear in mind: Not eating enough as you have been doing has effects on the brain and leads to that type of anxiety and indecisiveness, as well as racing thoughts. That'll most like vanish one you start eating big juicy steaks with the fat on, and liver, heart, kidney and all those good things.
    Excellent post Bill!

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast