Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oriental seasoning, sauces and the like page

Torc is offline Member

Oriental seasoning, sauces and the like

Primal Fuel
    Recently I realized that I had not been keeping to the Primal lifestyle as well has I had thought when I was prompted to read the ingredients of the various items I use in my stir fry concoctions (no recipe, just throw this and that in and add seasoning.) It turned out that only one was made with natural ingredients.

I am curious what others on here use and suggest in the way of store bought spices and sauces and/or recipes for their own creations.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Gluten-free soy sauce. It tastes way better, bolder, richer. And you use far less of it.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes the wheat free soy sauce is often labeled "Tamari". Good for marinating beef jerky. It is more flavorful so you can dial back the sodium overload a bit.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    In my continual effort to reduce soy in my diet, I've started using Worsterchesire Sauce instead of the GF Soy for my Asian dishes. I still use a little GF soy and Gf terriyaki, but it's just a splash compared to what I used to use.

WS is a good sub and it's naturally gluten free.

citygirl is offline Junior Member
    I thought Worsterchesire Sauce always had gluten in it. I have been avoiding it for years. Suppose it is time to research that....

citygirl is offline Junior Member
    thanks Jerseyjim for sending me on that hunt. It does look like some brands make gluten free Worcestershire sauce. excellent! And for the OP- coconut aminos work well in place of soy sauce. soy and gluten free.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by citygirl View Post
    I thought Worsterchesire Sauce always had gluten in it. I have been avoiding it for years. Suppose it is time to research that....
    Plain old Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce is gluten free. The ingredients aren't perfect but it's not the worst thing you could have:

Ingredients:
    Distilled White Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Sugar, Onions, Anchovies, Salt, Garlic, Cloves, Tamarind Extract, Natural Flavorings, Chili Pepper Extract.
    Allergens: Anchovies.
    1 teaspoon has 1g of sugar, by the way. I also wonder what's in the "natural flavorings" of course.

I 2nd the coconut aminos. A few other standard Asian ingredients I keep on hand: sesame oil, chili oil, mirin, rice wine vinegar, thai curry paste, sri racha, five spice, fish sauce.

Some of these are better than others. There can be a bit of sugar or crap oils here and there. Plus you have to read ingredient lists. Some brands of a condiment will be better than others. I just try to put it in perspective as to how much of an ingredient I'm going to use. For instance, sesame is not a good oil. However, I'm using a splash for flavoring. Like the 1g of sugar in the Worcestershire sauce. I use that much in an entire cup of Caesar dressing. I'm not going to get all worked up about it. However, some of my old stir fry sauces used a cup of mirin (sweet rice wine). I wouldn't be making those now. Or if I did, I'd try to find an alternative to get a similar flavor profile.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Branching off into Thai spices...have you ever tried this brand: Mae Ploy Thai Red Curry Paste - 14 ounce per jar: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

They make four or five different varieties and colors of sauces. All of them are nothing but spice blends, (no crappy oils or wheat!) and you make them by mixing with coconut milk and then pouring over your prepared veggies. I've bought them in single serving 99 pouches at my local Asian store, and all are pretty yummy. I've even used them directly on my stir-fries without the coconut milk, which is good if you don't mind a burning tongue and profuse sweating.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    That's my favorite brand!

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    white pepper is a MUST! it's sooo deliciouss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast