Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Contraceptive pill and body fat distribution page 2

  1. #11
    Nibbler's Avatar
    Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    150
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    The only solution I see is my husband having a surgery. We are both getting old, and do not want any more children, so maybe it makes sense for us to go this way and leave out our golden years without worrying about those "late bloom" accidents women tend to have in their early forties?
    You're not getting old
    I know 3 men who have had the surgery, including my father and they've all said they'd do it again because it made life so much easier. Someone pointed out that since his wife had gone through pregnancy and childbirth 3 times it was a small ask to undergo an outpatient op!

  2. #12
    magnolia1973's Avatar
    magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,893
    I think thigh size is genetic.... I have been off the pill and on a copper IUD for over 10 years. On primal, I am moving to an hourglass shape, with breasts staying large, waist getting smaller and hips staying full.

  3. #13
    Leida's Avatar
    Leida is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,800
    I read that it's common knowledge that taking the BCP can cause elevated cortisol levels. For me, insomnia takes the form of feeling extremely physically tired but at the same time feeling like there's "something" in my bloodstream keeping me awake. I read a description of it that called it "tired and wired" and that's like a perfect description!! Is it the same for you?
    Yes, I am literally falling down into bed, after a day of dreaming about going to bed and sleeping, but my mind is spinning, and I wake up at 1 or 2 am, and give up on sleep by 3 am. Normally I would get up at 4 am, and since on a 'normal' night I need 7 hours, I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, for a few days in a row. Then I will get a good night, then the cycle repeats at odd intervals, but I always lose a few nights around the 'false' period.

    I never get more than 1 cup of coffee a day, and not after 10 am, I get plenty of fresh air, exercise and have a wonderful bed, dark room, take time to relax before going to bed, and it's still crazy like that and I think it is getting worse.

    I got on BCP at age 23, and I can't recall sleep problems at that time, except my mom had the same early up pattern and woke me up to go and sew with her before school. But well, I was young back then.

    You're not getting old
    I know 3 men who have had the surgery, including my father and they've all said they'd do it again because it made life so much easier. Someone pointed out that since his wife had gone through pregnancy and childbirth 3 times it was a small ask to undergo an outpatient op!
    Thank you for an upbeat look. I should probably find a quiet moment to chat with my husband. For the amount of love-making we manage to get in between jobs and our super-active blessed 5 yo, BCP is just such an overkill...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  4. #14
    Nibbler's Avatar
    Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I think thigh size is genetic.... I have been off the pill and on a copper IUD for over 10 years. On primal, I am moving to an hourglass shape, with breasts staying large, waist getting smaller and hips staying full.
    Out of interest are you shifting to hourglass from an apple or a pear shape? I've observed that apples can sometimes be overweight hourglasses (not suggesting you were overweight).

  5. #15
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    I've been off the pill about year after being on it 7 years and sure the thigh chunk does annoy. You just have to work hard at it, be extra careful with things like wheat and dairy, exercise a lot. Cold thermogenesis has some effect. You may have to start doing something like intermittent fasting. I have and it helps with body fat though not lower body fat as well.....
    Cardio intervals are what helped me a lot last year but I had to stop doing those & now am just walking, lifting and eating very primal. I've increased the fat in my diet to be in a fat burning state much of the time. I'm quite small and small boned but no do not have a weight problem- just would like an extra toned look as I'm sure many females can relate.

  6. #16
    Nibbler's Avatar
    Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    150
    Um.... did coming off the pill improve anyone's sex drive and comfort... if you know what I mean. My partner is lush and we get on very well indeed but I'm not often interested, I think the pill is also crushing my sex drive.

  7. #17
    fiercehunter's Avatar
    fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    the world
    Posts
    1,940
    ^^ Nope not really but I'm pretty old (41) and perimenopausal.

  8. #18
    KimInGA's Avatar
    KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Yes, I am literally falling down into bed, after a day of dreaming about going to bed and sleeping, but my mind is spinning, and I wake up at 1 or 2 am, and give up on sleep by 3 am. Normally I would get up at 4 am, and since on a 'normal' night I need 7 hours, I only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, for a few days in a row. Then I will get a good night, then the cycle repeats at odd intervals, but I always lose a few nights around the 'false' period.

    I never get more than 1 cup of coffee a day, and not after 10 am, I get plenty of fresh air, exercise and have a wonderful bed, dark room, take time to relax before going to bed, and it's still crazy like that and I think it is getting worse.

    I got on BCP at age 23, and I can't recall sleep problems at that time, except my mom had the same early up pattern and woke me up to go and sew with her before school. But well, I was young back then.
    Sounds very similar to my experience. Unless I really load up on the sleep aids (like melatonin AND magnesium AND unisom) I will absolutely not get more than 4-5 hours of sleep, at most. I then spend the entire next day feeling like a walking zombie, looking forward to nothing but bedtime, only to lay awake most of the night yet again. And yet the doctor acts like nothing is wrong, and that the issue is only that I am too anxious. Um yeah, I do EVENTUALLY get annoyed after laying there for hours feeling horribly exhausted yet unable to sleep, but I can't imagine that anyone else would feel differently! I have a very calm, even-keel personality, in no way given to anxiety ... so I know the doctor is full of crap. It's a physical problem, not mental. I think it's very possible that long-term BCP use can upset the delicate balance of your other hormones that regular sleep, energy, hunger, weight, libido, etc.

  9. #19
    Owly's Avatar
    Owly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
    Um.... did coming off the pill improve anyone's sex drive and comfort... if you know what I mean. My partner is lush and we get on very well indeed but I'm not often interested, I think the pill is also crushing my sex drive.
    Yes, it definitely helped my sex drive. The hormones in the pill mess me up a lot (depression, awful pre-menstrual emotional stuff, no sex drive, weight gain). Going off hormonal birth control was a great choice for me, and I've been very satisfied with the copper IUD.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  10. #20
    Diana Renata's Avatar
    Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    5,394
    I'm curious about this as well. I've been completely off BC for probably 6 months now. Kind of curious if body composition and/or cellulite will go away, how long it takes to see a noticeable difference? Sex drive seems to be up- which the BF certainly doesn't mind. Lucky for me he's been snipped (prior to us meeting) and when I decide I want kids, is totally willing to go through a reversal.

    So far though... no big changes. Weight is slightly up and holding. *sigh*

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •