Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it normal not to be able to walk properly for days after leg workout? page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

Is it normal not to be able to walk properly for days after leg workout?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Normaly I neglect my legs as they are already fairly sizey in the muscle department and get a fair workout on the push bike... however once a month or so I load up the weights and give them a good workout.

The last two times I have done around 5 sets of lunges with 20kg dumbells, some weighted calf raises and some gobline squats.

Both times for the next few days and up to 5 days it has left my legs in complete and utter pain and its a struggle to walk, get out of a chair, bed... pretty much every time you go to move your legs.

I'd like to increase my leg workouts to fortnightly or maybe even weekly but god damn I dunno about being in this much pain all the time!!!!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    umm, it is for me. i think it's a sign that you have overdone it, and should ease up on your workouts. i'm told that it's not necessarily better to put that kind of strain on your muscles. i end up doing it because i don't notice at the time that i'm overdoing it, and because i tend to be really inconsistent with my workouts.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    you're overdoing it if the pain level is that high for that long

ease up man, egads
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

greenshady is offline Member
    The problem isn't necessarily that you've overdone it. The problem is that you only do it once a month. Once, twice, even three times a week is possible with no soreness once you get used to it. I've even run squatting cycles where you squat heavy ass weights four days per week (look up "Smolov squat routine" sometime).

Most likely, what you're experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). It just means you've put your muscles through a workout that they're not used to. The tried and true method of getting rid of this soreness (other than resting for a week) is to work those muscles again. You could literally do the same workout two days later and get rid of almost all of the soreness.

The best thing you can do is work out those muscles more often. Just doing it once a week should be sufficient enough to truly progress as well as keep the soreness down. If, after doing this workout once a week for a while (say a month), you still feel the same amount of soreness, you're probably overdoing it in your workout.

It doesn't sound like you're doing a lot though, so I doubt you're overdoing it at all. Although, I'm not sure what "gobline squats" are.

destructalux is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenshady View Post
    Most likely, what you're experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).
    i was thinking it may have been a case of this as i didn't think the weights were that heavy either...

heres a goblin squat Cody Hartlaub Goblin Squats 100lb dumbell - YouTube

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post
    i was thinking it may have been a case of this as i didn't think the weights were that heavy either...

If you are only training legs once a month, cut way back on the volume. Instead of 5 sets, try one all out set to the point of failure. You should experience some soreness as in ok I can tell I worked out but not debilitating soreness. A month later do the same workout and you should see improvement in reps and or poundages. If not add one more set. At one point years ago I trained legs in an insane manner and I could hardly get out a chair for a week! That is NOT proper exercise. It is debilitating and completely counterproductive. A little soreness is fine and part of the deal.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I agree with greenshady. If you do it more often you will adapt and not be as sore.

And I think the correct term is goblet squat, lol. I was hoping for some awesome squat technique devised by evil goblins.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I agree with greenshady. If you do it more often you will adapt and not be as sore.

And I think the correct term is goblet squat, lol. I was hoping for some awesome squat technique devised by evil goblins.
    I also agree with this. Doing it once a week will make you much less sore.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i'd say that you should also be hitting legs once a week . i mean, squats, deadlifts and lunges should be the foundation of most workout plans, even of they are done with light weights.

as far as the suggestion of doing one set to all out failure, thats also a fine route to go. however, understand that people who train in that manner typically do anywhere from 6-12 "warmup" sets to build up to that 1 set of failure. former mr olympia dorian yates was famous for this method of training.

mattrogers55 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post

Please don't imitate the guy in the video. His form was pitiful, asking for knee and hammy problems and he didn't go down all the way. For a guy with limited squat experience, you should stick with a simple back squat or air squats and forget all the variations. And honestly you could do back squats 2-3 times a week without over training at the beginning level because you're simply not (yet) using enough weight. A good book to check out is Starting Strength or Practical Programming. Dude was straight on with the DOMS. You're not over training your legs, it's just your legs have no idea what the heck is going on.
    "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace by those who have been trained by it."

HT: 6' 2"
    Peak Wt: 303lbs- Nov 1st 2011
    Current Wt: 240lbs- Sep 1st 2012

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast