Thread: Probably dumb question on PBF page

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member

Probably dumb question on PBF

I've just reaslised I may be doing PBF LHT wrong, and not sure if it matters. I have always done a set of push up's followed by a set of pull-ups, a set of squats, etc till I get to the planks, then start back on the push ups. Is this the right way, or should I be doing 3 sets of push-ups, then going on to 3 sets of the next excersie and does it make any difference anyway or am I just thick??
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Dan208 is offline Senior Member
    The way you are describing what you do now, it sounds like circuit training. I think it really depends on what your workout goals are.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I do pullups, situps, pushups, squats, and 1 minute planks all back to back, then rest 3 minutes and repeat about 5 or 6 times. every other week I'll throw in a 20 minute session of simple fit level 4 day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan208 View Post
    The way you are describing what you do now, it sounds like circuit training. I think it really depends on what your workout goals are.
    My LHT for me is to improve stenght, and increase muscle size a bit (I'm naturally well built so don't need to bulk up but I guess every guy wants slightly bigger arms )
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I've just reaslised I may be doing PBF LHT wrong, and not sure if it matters. I have always done a set of push up's followed by a set of pull-ups, a set of squats, etc till I get to the planks, then start back on the push ups. Is this the right way, or should I be doing 3 sets of push-ups, then going on to 3 sets of the next excersie and does it make any difference anyway or am I just thick??
    That's the way I'd do it. 1 min rest between each exercise, 3 mins between sets for 2 sets. Done and dusted in under 25 mins.

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    That's the way I'd do it. 1 min rest between each exercise, 3 mins between sets for 2 sets. Done and dusted in under 25 mins.

jllundqu is offline Member
    I was wondering the exact same thing! I was doing the opposite: Pushups then wait a couple minutes, then pushups, then wait, then pullups for 2 sets, then squats, etc etc until I completed 2 cycles of each of the 5 essential movements.

I am going to try it as mentioned above... also is there any specific reason to do 3 sets instead of the 2 sets mentioned in PBF?

THanks I am new... 3 1/2 weeks into paleo and dropped 10lbs!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Check out what Mark Lauren says in You Are Your Own Gym about periodization--just read that last week and it explained about how you need to change the workouts around to keep progressing. It's at the end of the book (appendix). Different types of workouts including your descriptions can be effective: stappers (full body circuit), tabatas, intervals, supersets...depends on the intensity and reps.

jllundqu is offline Member
    I also do Bas Rutten cds on the heavy bag for sprint days, but its great for abs/back/arms. Its 12-2 min rounds with 1min rest between rounds. I go all out every round and at the end of 12 rounds, I AM DONE!
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I found it quicker and easier to do 3 sets of push ups in a row followed by 3 sets of pull ups etc. I think that the rest allows me to more total reps and push myself harder on each movement, plus I think I rest for longer between movements than a do for breaks in the same excersise. I think I'll mix up the way I do the essential movements just for fun, see if my progression improves, need to add numbers to push ups and actually do more than one propper pull up (weird thing is I can do them outside at the park but not on my iron-gym thing, I can do chin ups but just can't seem to get pull ups, it just feels wrong)