Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have Multiple Sclerosis? page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

Anyone here have Multiple Sclerosis?

Primal Fuel
    I've been doing it for about a year and half and now I'm researching for someone who has M.S.
    I started googling and I'm finding articles like this one
    Low Carbohydrates Diet For Multiple Sclerosis | LIVESTRONG.COM
    What's throwing up red flags on their validity is statements like "low carb diets restrict fruits and vegetables".

Does anyone here have experience with M.S. and the primal lifestyle or know of anyone?

TIA!
    -dennis

Annana is offline Senior Member
    I don't suffer from it personally, but I think you may be very interested in this; Dr. Terry Wahls Ted Talk on How She Used Diet To Cure Her MS

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annana View Post
    I don't suffer from it personally, but I think you may be very interested in this; Dr. Terry Wahls Ted Talk on How She Used Diet To Cure Her MS
    Podcast #27: Minding My Mitochondria with Dr. Terry Wahls, MD | The Bulletproof Executive

AMAZING! Thank you!
    -dennis

From my experience with people with MS (not myself personally) the Primal diet is the opposite of what they should be following. PwMS have the best results following a low saturated fat diet, see the following link:
    MS Diet | Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra from NZ View Post
    From my experience with people with MS (not myself personally) the Primal diet is the opposite of what they should be following. PwMS have the best results following a low saturated fat diet, see the following link:
    MS Diet | Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis
    But without knowing specifics, how do we know the carbs weren't the culprit in the group that didn't do well, not the fat? Just like everything else, they are always blaming the fat. Plus, the people who ate low fat may have inadvertently been eating more vegetables and fruit which would coincide with the video above. So I have a hard time believing these studies, which is why I was hoping to find some people here who have hands on experience.
    -dennis

Quote Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
    But without knowing specifics, how do we know the carbs weren't the culprit in the group that didn't do well, not the fat? Just like everything else, they are always blaming the fat. Plus, the people who ate low fat may have inadvertently been eating more vegetables and fruit which would coincide with the video above. So I have a hard time believing these studies, which is why I was hoping to find some people here who have hands on experience.
    The Swank study was done over 34 years with a follow up at 50 years, so one of the most comprehensive studies out. Read the details, check the sources, it is all there.

I am a former president of the NZ MS Society so I know that huge numbers of PwMS follow the low saturated fat diet and have good results with it. It is not a cure (currently there is no "cure") but it can really slow the progression down and give them better quality of life.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I suggest you watch Dr. Terry Wahl's presentation above, just wonder how you feel about her results. Seems quite impressive.

Paleo Journey - Diary of my experience eating the Paleo Diet | Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    I suggest you watch Dr. Terry Wahl's presentation above, just wonder how you feel about her results. Seems quite impressive.

Paleo Journey - Diary of my experience eating the Paleo Diet | Facebook
    Her story is very impressive. I note that she very briefly mentions eating grass fed meat and organ meat, mainly as an accompaniment to the huge amounts of veges she recommends. Nowhere does she recommend eating large amounts of saturated fats. Grass fed meat generally has less saturated fats than grain fed meat. Her diet is extremely similar to the Swank diet except he doesn't recommend eating red meat because of the saturated fat content.

What I see on this website regarding the Primal diet is huge amounts of red meat, high saturated fat like butter and cream, low amounts of fruit and veges (some even omit them altogether) and no grains. Dr Wahl recommends huge amounts of green veges and fruits, high omega 3 fats from fish, grass fed meat (eg. lower saturated fat) and no grains. So the only things that match are "no grains". Which is why I said that the Primal diet put forth on this website is the opposite of what people with MS should be eating.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is not a story, it is n=1.

Found a PDF of some of her recommendations. She also says in her presentation she follows a paleo/primal diet...

http://www.thewahlsfoundation.com/wp...ur_DESTINY.pdf

She does talk about coconut oil and some of the recipes on her forum use coconut milk.

Primal is not about low fruit and vegetables, it is about choosing highly nutritious food, some vegetable choices (like white potato) do not deliver the maximum nutrition when compared to others. White potato of itself is not bad, but when it is your vegetable of choice, you may not be getting the nutrition you need. The reality is very few truly primal or paleo people omit them altogether, most do try and eat as many vegetables and fruit that they can. I am not sure where you got that idea from, certainly not the book Mark Sisson has written.

Some people do not eat as much butter as others, but when looking at illness caused by poor nutrition, butter does not seem to be the problem. It would be interesting to know if Terri puts butter on some of those vegetables, as butter can make the nutrients more bio available.
    Life. Be in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast