Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crap at sprinting page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

Crap at sprinting

Primal Fuel
    Yeah... I'm really not very good! In the past I've gone all out skipping but I can't find my rope and I used to trip up all the time anyway. I tried sprinting (running) this week but to be honest I think I failed. I didn't run very far at all because I got scared when my quadricep felt like it was going to pop off, temples being stabbed with knitting needle etc! I could have sprinted a bit further maybe but I felt like I was going to do myself a mischief. Does it matter? Do you just keep trying until you get better? I had 4 goes with a walk in between recover, plus walking to the park and back home again. Sounds a bit lame doesn't it.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    When you start sprinting it is very very important to take it easy! ... that may sound counter intuitive but when you haven't been sprinting in a while you can really hurt yourself if you over do it...

Start by taking some short runs... no where near 100% effort...just something to get the blood moving... maybe something like 50%... for sprints you are thinking short distances... keeping the distances short is what allows you to dial up the intensity later on.

It is usually a good idea to start your journey into sprinting on a uphill run. The terrain helps keep you from over striding, which can be a problem when sprinting. ... I'd probably set out a relatively short distance and walk it first (it should probably take you maybe 10 or 20 seconds to walk)... then turn around and do the distance again...this time picking it up just a little bit. (hardly a job)... turn around and do it again...dialing it up just a little more (jogging?)... turn around and do it again...slightly faster yet...

move forward with that ... when you get to the pace that you are breathing good at the end of the distance give yourself a pause before going down the distance again...the harder you are pushing the longer the rest will be, so when you start you may only rest 10 seconds or so but later on when you are pushing very hard you may rest a minute or two...

don't over do it...just push up the intensity until it is difficult...not until you are at your limit... over months you can slowly push harder and harder... you will naturally push harder as you become better at sprinting then after a while you will be able to sprint at near maximal effort..

in addition to hills sprinting in sand is a good way to keep from hurting yourself...

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, me and the wif took the kids up to the park to try a sprinting vid we saw on here.

Bsaically the idea was to sprint as hard as you could for 20 seconds, pause for 10 seconds, then do it again. For 8 sets. Since we're both heniously unfit we decided on *3* sets. And let me tell you, the first one was easy. The second two felt like I was jogging slowly, and at the end of the third one we both fell on the ground and felt like death.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a perfectly normal first go at sprinting with normal results, I agree with Fatkid, not to go mental at first, but you soon improve, I think I did 2 the first time I triedn last time out I managed 8 yay for me you will soon be there.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    The front of my thighs used to get very sore after sprinting, and it'd last more than a week. I think it was a lack of flexibility in those muscles, so I had to spend time improving that before I could sprint.

Starting uphill is a good idea, as is easing into a full pace sprint over time.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I spent a few weeks just running before I even tried sprinting. And I still fall over huffing and panting on the third sprint. Rarely do I go more than four or five because by the fourth, I must look like I'm running through molasses even though I feel like I'm pushing it to the limit.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkupManuel View Post
    The second two felt like I was jogging slowly, and at the end of the third one we both fell on the ground and felt like death.
    So cute, my first spambot.

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Thanks a lot for your replies everyone. I was feeling a bit disappointed because I'm not overweight and I didn't think I was too unfit. I guess it's just a completely different form of exercise! Now, must find a hill without lots of observers...

Xeronimo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yeah, me and the wif took the kids up to the park to try a sprinting vid we saw on here.

Bsaically the idea was to sprint as hard as you could for 20 seconds, pause for 10 seconds, then do it again. For 8 sets. Since we're both heniously unfit we decided on *3* sets. And let me tell you, the first one was easy. The second two felt like I was jogging slowly, and at the end of the third one we both fell on the ground and felt like death.
    Isn't that Tabata-style sprinting? That's like one of the heaviest modes possible ... in PBF Mark recommends starting differently? Why not try that?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Don't be disappointed!! Sprinting is extremely intense, demanding exercise! You may well not be "unfit". You just aren't in sprinting shape. Just get out there next time and do it. It will NEVER be easy. That is the point of it. You are performing max effort work. Its brief and relatively infrequent. Doing them up a hill will ease the strain on your legs as you simply can't run as fast up a steep hill. Gravity will see to it. But, don't mistaken this to mean they will be easier. Hill sprints are brutal because of the gravity involved, thus more productive. Find a good steep hill and simply run up it then walk down and repeat. Don't worry about timing it or anything. Just go up as hard as you possibly can then walk down. Do this once a week or so and do it consistently and the results will be nothing short of miraculous! You'll find everyday tasks, even ones that were somewhat hard, will be much easier. Combined with proper eating and you'll notice an improvement in body composition, often dramatic at that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast