Thread: Gastric surgery versus lifestyle change page

orielwen is offline Senior Member

Gastric surgery versus lifestyle change

Shop Now
    How about a post discussing the news that gastric bypass surgery works not by decreasing the size of the stomach but by regulating your hormones so you aren't as hungry, and comparing this to the hormone regulation attained through lifestyle change?

Change your stomach, change your brain - health - 23 May 2012 - New Scientist (requires free registration)
    Weight-loss surgery reduces desire for alcohol - health - 24 May 2012 - New Scientist

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    post surgical diet is low carb, high protein

i'd hazard a guess that that plus extreme calorie restriction does wonders for your hormones
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    There is no such thing as EITHER gastric surgery OR lifestyle change.
    Not successfully anyway.

Gastric surgery is supposed to be accompanied by lifestyle change.
    People who do not change defeat the surgery all the time.
    They may lose some initial weight, but because they never changed their core relationship with food they end up regaining all of what they lost... and sometimes end up even heavier.

Lifestyle/food relationship change is the single most important issue of successful and effective long term weight loss.
    And it CAN be done without the surgery.
    A diet very similar to Primal is recommended for post surgery... and is probably as responsible for the weight loss as the surgery is.
    Why not skip the surgery and change the food relationship instead?

I have never looked at Primal as a "Diet". YMMV,
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.