Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My post-SS training plan page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

My post-SS training plan

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Goals: Maintain barbell-based strength while conditioning and losing fat. Introduce more variety to workouts. Allow for more sports / outdoor activities. Keep the routine simple and low-volume, less than 2 hrs / week gym time in total.

This is a two-week cycle, so AB the first week and CD the second week. Progression is determined by feel - I'll be working on losing around 20 lb over about 4 months, so if I get any stronger at all that's just a bonus.

Any thoughts on how to improve it?
    A:
    Squat 2x5
    OHP 2x5
    Chins
    Metcon 4x500 meter sprint erg, 1 minute rest periods.
    B:
    Power cleans
    advanced pushups
    Farmer's walk or Turkish getups
    metcon 5 rounds x10 each: box jump (thigh), goblet squat (60 db), pushup
    C:
    Squat 1x20
    Push press 3x3, highish rep dumbbell ohp
    chins
    metcon 100 burpees
    D:
    DL 315 1xfail or really bad form
    Bench 2x5
    weighted chins
    metcon repeat one of above (whatever I sucked at most the last time around)

On any given day: If rock climbing, racquetball, or running trail or hill sprints later, eliminate metcon
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I'm no expert, and that's not too different than what I'd come up with, but you asked for input, so here's mine:

Seems like chins and weighted chins are the extent of your upper body pulls. Although if you rock climb often, you're probably more than set, but I might personally consider switching one for a bent-over (or inverted) row.

I used to do a really quick workout day where I'd do dumbbell(or kettlebell, when I had access) snatches and clean & jerks, as well as muscle-ups. I always figured that was the easiest/quickest way to hit everything (upper body pushes, upper body pulls, legs, and back) and be out the gym door. Just an extra idea to keep in your back pocket if you get bored or are in a hurry. You can obviously just do pullups and dips separately if the muscle-ups aren't in the cards.

Thanks - rows are the obvious missing exercise. I guess I just don't like em, and my back gets work from chins, cleans, deads and farmer's walks. I've gotten this far basically with no rows, and my shoulders and elbows HATE dips, so that's another obvious one that's out.
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Chinup =/= Row
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    Chinup =/= Row
    Yeah, I don't think he was saying they were the same. Lots of asshats out there do all pushes and no pulls whatsoever, so his plan already puts him light years ahead of those jackwagons.

He's not striving for perfection, he's trying to do the best he can with what he's willing to endure, which is 2 sessions/week, sub 2 hours total gym time, no rows, no dips.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yeah, I don't think he was saying they were the same. Lots of asshats out there do all pushes and no pulls whatsoever, so his plan already puts him light years ahead of those jackwagons.

He's not striving for perfection, he's trying to do the best he can with what he's willing to endure, which is 2 sessions/week, sub 2 hours total gym time, no rows, no dips.
    He said no dips. He just hasn't done rows.

I was suggesting that he add rows for balance.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Maybe I could some inverted (bodyweight) type of rows off a smith machine bar. In place of pushups in metcon B. That's a nice bicep move, too.

I deadlifted and did chins and cleans yesterday, and my whole upper back is quite fatigued. If you have any links to anything that supports rows even in addition to plenty of chins and cleans, I'd definitely read them.

Doing a quick search is all bodybuilding crap talking about width over mass. The best one I found was a few months ago from a gymnastics strength forum talking about shoulder joint health and how a horizontal pull is useful because everything else is out, up or down. Not a whole lot of backwards motion to offset this.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Maybe I could some inverted (bodyweight) type of rows off a smith machine bar. In place of pushups in metcon B. That's a nice bicep move, too.
    I always say this is the only real use for the Smith machine. I do these, in addition to barbell and dumbbell versions of bent-over rows. If you want to up the intensity, put your feet on a swiss ball and do these while in a sort of upside-down plank. I find them nearly as challenging (meaning my numbers suck as bad) as normal pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by federkeil View Post
    a horizontal pull is useful because everything else is out, up or down. Not a whole lot of backwards motion to offset this.
    Yeah, that was my thought process, although I don't have any data to back it up either.

Just one thing: make sure you keep your scapulas retracted while doing whatever type of row you decide to include.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast