Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hypothyroidism/hashimotos? page 3

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I have Hashimoto's and have done just fine with synthetics (Levoxyl and Cytomel) for over 10 years. People can respond differently because no meds are actually identical (different 'fillers'), but the reason most doctors prefer the synethetics is that the dosage is more easily managed--more exact--and that's critical when dealing with hormones.

If you're already hypothyroid (gland isn't producing sufficient hormone), it's doubtful that any nutritional or OTC supplements will help. This is especially true if it's caused by Hashi's, since that's an autoimmune disease that has no cure.

The only solution is to provide the body with the hormones that it's not producing--and that's what all thyroid Rxs are.

Because it's a matter of carefully balancing hormones, the individual must be under the care of a good thyroid doctor (not easy to fine) who will monitor the dosage. I am checked every 4 months. Hashi's is so unpredictable that I've had years when my dosage remains stable, and sometimes I need to have it adjusted much more frequently.
    I don't agree with you at all. Sure hasimotos has no cure but it can be controlled by cutting out of your diet what is causing your immune system to attack your own body. And that is normally gluten.

You then support your thyroid and usually adrenals with supplements from over the counter. Selenium, magnesium, iodine, and most importantly vitamin d!

Vitamin d is actually a hormone and most of us are hugely deficient.

By saying just replace it with synthetic drugs is playing into big pharmacy hands. Ask yourself WHY your body is attacking itself and fix it. Why not replace with bio-identical hormones that aren't patentable and used by the body better. Taking synthetic is just prolonging the problem. You aren't helping your body heal itself.

Don't be sucked in! It's easier for your doctor to prescribe a synthetic drug peddled by drug companies rather than give you what your body needs. Your thyroid can't produce thyroid hormones without iodine, selenium, vitamin d and progesterone. Hasimotos does not mean a lifetime on prescription drugs.

I have been primal for a year and a half. Just diagnosed with hasimotos and have been gene tested for gluten intolerance. Positive.

Really trying hard to lose weight this year I have lost a pitiful 3 kilos. I turned down the synthroid and found an integrative doctor and naturopath. In the month I have been taking my supplements I have lost another 2 kilos really easily. That is no coincidence.

I go back in another month to tweak my bioidentical progesterone, dhea and estrogen. I get the tests back on my adrenal too as these need support before the thyroid. It's too simplistic to just look at the thyroid alone. You have to look at everything as a whole.
    Last edited by Rueben; 11-18-2012 at 06:15 AM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There aer also Traditional Chinese Medicine treatments that are herbal, and include acupuncture and similar, to cure both Hashimotos and Graves Disease, and both methods were studied by harvard and demonstrated that they had the best results. I'll look for the links.

My SIL had GD and opted to irradiation rather than TCM; my sister has "prehashimotos" and apparently "the doctors refuse to medicate until it's really a problem" (which i know is BS because they medicate for hypothyroidism, and pre-hashis is in that category. honestly, i just dont' believe her), but she refuses any treatment options at all (ie, dietary supplementation -- won't even take D supplements even though she has "vit d insufficiency!" which is a common trope of hers; TCM; etc).

I don't kow what's going on with her, honestly. But whatever. it's not my responsibility.

I think that each person has to find their own way, and if it were me with either disease, i'd go to my friend's clinic in Taiwan and get it done. Takes 3 months, supposedly, and then after that, you just have to keep your diet relatively strict, and you're cured. my friend's wife had graves, and they met at the clinic. she no longer has it -- and they've been together 10 years now. So it's pretty darn successful.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Rueben-

You are sadly misinformed. I am gluten free and have been for some time. I take Vit. D3, and my level has been optimal for some time. Whether or not those steps do anything for Hashimoto's is impossible to know--but I DO know that I have to provide my body with the thyroid hormones that it's not producing. Thyroid 'meds' are NOT 'meds.' They are hormones. And whether they are produced in a factory from chemicals or from pig tissue is irrelevant. The term 'bioidenticial' is nonsense. ALL thyroid Rx is by definition "identical" to what the body produces--T4, T3.

I have been dealing with this disease for over 10 years, and one thing I know is that your assertion that "Hashimoto's can be controlled by diet" is untrue. It's an auto-immune disease. Do you also believe that RA and MS and Lupus can be 'controlled by diet"?

Foremost, it's none of my business how a person chooses to move forward with their health in terms of any health condition. A person can choose any number of routes, and what works for one person does not work for another necessarily (for a variety of reasons.

That being said, yes, I do believe that RA, lupus, and MS can be treated via diet, with or without medication as well. It entirely depends upon the individual, the method that they choose, the severity of the situation, etc etc etc.

I would never tell someone that they "shouldn't" use a specific medical or alternative therapy. It's not my business. It is only my business to present what information I have.

At this point, I haven't had the time to draw up the harvard articles on graves/hashi's and TCM. Likewise, there is a doctor who cured her own MS with diet and is now medicine-free as I understand it. I believe she gave a TED talk. I can dig that link up too, though I know it's been posted on this board. For RA, i have only seen very limited information -- and it wasn't tested on juveniles as far as I know, and thats' where my search terms were focused. For lupus, my aunt has it, and hers is managed through TCM and diet without medication.

But everyone is *vastly different*. One of my friends does the MS protocol from the Dr on the TED talk, btu also is getting a very new treatment. So far, so good, and her hope is to transition off this medication as her health improves via diet, and since starting the dietary protocols, she has seen great improvement *above* what she was supposed to see via the treatment. But, it could also be that she's highly responsive to the treatment, no?

My SIL got irradiated and is now on synthroid (i think) for graves. My sister seems to be wholly unmedicated, but I have no idea. Another friend of mine is hypo and on a compound thyroid medication from the pigs.

But, I do believe that nutritional protocols can make a big, big difference, and that more people should pay attention to this -- and I don't mean patients per se (like yourself) because I think that many are already looking at it, but rather medical professionals should look into it more closely.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Paleobird-

I wasn't addressing your post (which was simultaneous with mine) but was responding to Rueben, who seemed to thing he could 'cure' Hashimoto's with diet.

I absolutely believe in nutritional therapy, and I hope that my WOE is positively affecting my auto-immune condition.

But I get upset with people who advise against thyroid Rx OR who assume that all disease can be 'cured' with diet.

I totally agree that conventional medicine ignores the importance of nutritional support. One example--when I was going through menopause, HRT was all the rage and most doctors were 'pushing' it to eliminated 'undesirable' symptoms. My only significant symptom was hot flashes, but they occurred rarely and only at night, so they weren't particularly bothersome. I was also very much against any HRT, as I regard menopause as a natural bodily process.

However, one night I was at a party, and the hostess (who was about my age) kept encouraging me to taste her 'special' cake (which looked luscious). She said, "I'm eating this, even though I know it will give me hot flashes." I asked what she meant, and she said that she had been very bothered by hot flashes, and her doctor was insisting that the only relief she could get was with HRT. She had a theory that the hormonal shifts of menopause may make us 'react' to certain foods in ways we normally didn't previously. So she monitored her 'flashes' to see if they corresponded to any particular food(s)--and she identified sugar as the culprit. She told me that when she avoided sugar, she never experienced a hot flash.

That got me thinking about my own situation. I try to avoid sugar completely, and if I indulge, it's only a dessert after some celebratory meal in a restaurant--in the evening. I couldn't remember the past, but I began checking from that night on, and, sure enough, it was sugar for me, too. No sugar--no hot flashes.

I've mentioned this since to doctors, and they all look at me as though some lunatic has invaded their office.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Paleobird-

I wasn't addressing your post (which was simultaneous with mine) but was responding to Rueben, who seemed to thing he could 'cure' Hashimoto's with diet.

I absolutely believe in nutritional therapy, and I hope that my WOE is positively affecting my auto-immune condition.

But I get upset with people who advise against thyroid Rx OR who assume that all disease can be 'cured' with diet.

I totally agree that conventional medicine ignores the importance of nutritional support.
    I couldn't agree with you more. There is a big difference between nutritional therapy/support and "curing" existing conditions with diet alone. That would be great if it works but sadly it doesn't always.

As a cancer survivor, I get really upset at people passing out advice to "fire your oncologist and drink this magic tea" or whatever supplement or saying that buying a juicer will solve all your problems.

Good nutrition is one of the best ways to keep a medical condition such as cancer from happening in the first place and I firmly believe that it is great preventative medicine against a recurrence. No amount of herbs, teas, supplements, or fresh juices, however, are going to make an existing tumor go away. Real life just doesn't work that way.

Now wait, there will be someone jump on and post about their great aunt whose carcinoma was cured by coffee enemas..........

You know, to be sure, my aunt chose to die rather than do conventional therapy -- it was her choice. I don't know why she chose that route, but she did. And I can't fault her either (though a lot of people were very angry with her for choosing that direction).

I do advocate the Hyppocrates Institute for people with cancer because they do quite well with their nutritional protocols. BUT I would never tell someone to not get conventional treatment if they feel that is the best possible route altogether.

My only sadness is when people don't do any research and choose only one option. Or are pressured by one doctor's opinion that there is only one true way: their way.

I feel that often doctors aren't entirely up on the newest treatments, or even long-standing treatments that have been available and used in other countries for a long time (such as specific drug therapies for graves that are widely used in europe such that they hardly use radiation therapy) or things that are showing to have very positive effect (the TCM/Harvard article focused on herbal medications from TCM). In fact, when my SIL asked her doctor about alternatives (such as those in Europe) he basically said the European systems didn't want to do the "latest" science because of their universal health care (which is bogus), and when she asked him about TCM, he said that "meditation won't cure this problem" -- which clearly demonstrates a lack of knowledge of all available treatments such that he could actually *advise* not just *dictate* what would be done.

But also, it was her fault. I wouldn't work with such a doctor, considering the research that I have done on both diseases (to help both SIL and sister). If my doctor told me what he told my SIL, I would immediately look for another doctor. It's as simple as that. The same is true of my sister's doctor, who apparently refuses to medicate her for thyroid because she's "rehashi." I don't know what that means, because anyone pre-hashi is usually also hypothyroidal in need of medication, so. . . what gives? But anyway, I know that I don't have all the information there.

And, it's not to say that everyone is like this. My SIL always listens to her doctor -- no matter who that doctor is -- because that's what her parents do. . . even when their doctor is actually flat-out wrong (and yes, their doctor has been flat-out wrong in some situations. he's old and not up on the newest treatments for things. he wanted to treat SIL's menstrual problems with hysterectomy for goodness sakes!). But, some people are, and I think that's pretty sad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123