Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hypothyroidism/hashimotos? page 2

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Here is a great article with many comments for you & your friend:
    Re: Thyroid (hashimoto)question at Iodine Supplementation Support by VWT Team (MessageID: 1635620)

Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    I have just posted the greatest article EVER at the Iodine Thread:
    Don't do ANYTHING until you have read this:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post844257

Grizz

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    update. my friend called me last night. she told me that after i spoke to her and gave her my suggestions and then forwarded her the other info, she went out to the store and bought some himalayan pink salt and some seaweed and some brazil nuts. she thought this would be a good starting point. so she's been cooking with the salt, eating the seaweed twice a week and eating 3-4 brazil nuts every night. after a couple weeks of this she was retested, and her tsh was 4.5. (it was 5.55 when she was first tested). still a little high, but back in to the "normal" range. so her doctor wants her to keep doing what she is doing and get retested again in 4 weeks. she didn't mention any of the other numbers, but i'll be sure to ask her the next time i talk to her. he doctor no longer thinks the synthroid is necessary (duh) and i'm not sure if she is going to follow up with any other testing or with an endocrinologist at this point. i'm very interested in seeing what her numbers are 4 weeks from now

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    That's really great!

2tonsils is offline Junior Member
    I had a severe reaction to taking kelp tablets as a supplement...I only took the recommended dose but they found I am very sensitive to the iodine in it and my thyroid now has a nodule which is 4cm wide. It is self contained and not cancerous but it was definitely caused by the iodine intake in my case. I cut the supplements and now eat a low goitregenic diet and I am doing much better. I still have the nodule but it is not getting worse and my blood readings are near perfect now. You must beware of telling everyone iodine will help. In many cases with Hashimoto's thyroiditis it can make things worse.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    There's a reason they put iodine into refined salt... to lower cases of hypothyroidism.

If a person cuts out refined salt (most paleo people do), they need to find another source of iodine!

RenegadeRN is offline Member
    4.5 is way too high for a TSH. The standards have been changed several years ago to an upper limit of 3, but most docs these days have figured it out-most people feel best at around 1.

Please have your friend consider this. Her doc is way off base here. To her detriment. I kinda doubt supplements will help to the degree she needs. IMHO.

I have had graves disease since 1988, had I-131 radiation and basically have NO functioning thyroid. Dealt with feeling like crap ever since. Was put on the Synthyroid line of BS and finally escaped to a mixture of Levoxyl and a compounded slow release T3.

The combo works much better for me. Too bad it only took 14 years to find it! :-(

Good luck to her.
    Last edited by RenegadeRN; 11-17-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Clarity
    On breaking out of the healthcare box..."Box? What box? Take cover, it's gonna get ugly... "

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i'm sorry that you had to go through the radiation treatment. unfortunately, most people in the US end up there, even though most people with graves in europe have a wide variety of treatmetnts available and radiation treatment is avoided.

I find that natural, compound doses that are individually prescribed work best for thyroid prescriptions -- at least, this is what my friends tell me when they are finally moved off synthroid.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have Hashimoto's and have done just fine with synthetics (Levoxyl and Cytomel) for over 10 years. People can respond differently because no meds are actually identical (different 'fillers'), but the reason most doctors prefer the synethetics is that the dosage is more easily managed--more exact--and that's critical when dealing with hormones.

If you're already hypothyroid (gland isn't producing sufficient hormone), it's doubtful that any nutritional or OTC supplements will help. This is especially true if it's caused by Hashi's, since that's an autoimmune disease that has no cure.

The only solution is to provide the body with the hormones that it's not producing--and that's what all thyroid Rxs are.

Because it's a matter of carefully balancing hormones, the individual must be under the care of a good thyroid doctor (not easy to fine) who will monitor the dosage. I am checked every 4 months. Hashi's is so unpredictable that I've had years when my dosage remains stable, and sometimes I need to have it adjusted much more frequently.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Shut up, Grizz.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast