Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excruciating night leg cramps page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Excruciating night leg cramps

Shop Now
    I am experiencing severe leg cramps at night. I started taking Magnesium a few years ago and the cramps mostly stopped. I've been Primal for about 14 months and have lost around 80 lbs. The leg cramps came back about a month ago beginning just in my feet and, last night, a bad one in my calf. I eat very low carbs, below 50 grams I'm almost certain, but I haven't kept track of how low in grams or how many calories since I've always been obsessive about "figures" and I liked the freedom of the Primal way. I am beginning to wonder if leg cramps can be caused by too little carbs. If that is the case, how could I add some carbs and still lose weight?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about the carb question, but did you stop taking mag? I'm assuming no, but if you did then starting again should help.

Experiment though, up your carbs a little, keep them primal, they're really not the enemy, ease off the fat just a little. Do it for two weeks or so and remember MODERATION. Too many people here freak out when they hear others say "up the carbs" because they think we're advising people to eat NOTHING BUT CARBS in MASSIVE QUANTITIES and never have fat again. That's not the case, obviously... but self experimentation can go a long way.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    I am experiencing severe leg cramps at night. I started taking Magnesium a few years ago and the cramps mostly stopped. I've been Primal for about 14 months and have lost around 80 lbs. The leg cramps came back about a month ago beginning just in my feet and, last night, a bad one in my calf. I eat very low carbs, below 50 grams I'm almost certain, but I haven't kept track of how low in grams or how many calories since I've always been obsessive about "figures" and I liked the freedom of the Primal way. I am beginning to wonder if leg cramps can be caused by too little carbs. If that is the case, how could I add some carbs and still lose weight?
    Potassium deficiency?

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Potassium deficiency?
    Second this. I know that when I got cramps in the early goings of Primal it was because I wasn't getting enough potassium. Hurt like hell and the solution is quite simple-eat a banana or some other potassium rich thing. One of those and everything's all good.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I'm not sure about the carb question, but did you stop taking mag? I'm assuming no, but if you did then starting again should help.

Experiment though, up your carbs a little, keep them primal, they're really not the enemy, ease off the fat just a little. Do it for two weeks or so and remember MODERATION. Too many people here freak out when they hear others say "up the carbs" because they think we're advising people to eat NOTHING BUT CARBS in MASSIVE QUANTITIES and never have fat again. That's not the case, obviously... but self experimentation can go a long way.
    No, I kept the magnesium. I figured if it made a difference I should continue. Could you suggest some safe, primal carbs to add? I've just managed, not long ago, to get out of a wheelchair after having a broken leg. My weight loss made a huge difference. I'd like to continue losing the remainder of the weight but adding just a few primal carbs shouldn't make that stop, should it? Thanks.

KatieCHI is offline Member
    Agree with the potassium suggestion, I had them for a while until I started adding a banana a week. Banana Monday I call it.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Potassium deficiency?
    I also take 3 - 99 mg of postassium gelcaps daily with the magnesium.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    All these magnesium and potassium suggestions are cute, but the only thing that works for me is 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda stirred in a cup water with a glop of molasses. Take after a workout or anytime you feel cramps lurking. And if it works for me, it'll work for you. Nobody has cramps like me.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you eat a banana and maybe some crystalized ginger, you'll get potassium and more carbs.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Hydration is a common reason for leg cramps. Drink water...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast