Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Excruciating night leg cramps page 5

aussiesue is offline Member
    I do what my Dad does and take about 1/4 teasp salt in 1/2 glass of water before bed. It seems to work.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Take magnesium before sleeping and make sure you're getting a good ratio of potassium, sodium and calcium. And, yeah, upping carbs will obviously help.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-23-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    nihil

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    shellfish

i hate fish though. also, lol at the topic irrelevancy
    nihil

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    NOt to fear monger, but get your vit B 12 levels checked. A severe deficiency (Pernicious Anemia) can cause excruciating pains in the legs. It's definitely impacted by low carb eating.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Second this. I know that when I got cramps in the early goings of Primal it was because I wasn't getting enough potassium. Hurt like hell and the solution is quite simple-eat a banana or some other potassium rich thing. One of those and everything's all good.
    Same issues here... and same solution, but I sometime also take a basic potassium supplement tablet which you can get anywhere dirt cheap.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neptunebch View Post
    I've been Primal for a couple of months and dieting since June and have lost 52 lbs. My nocturnal leg cramps started about a week and a half ago. I Googled leg cramps when sleeping and found some interesting articles about Adkins dieters having issues. My muscles feel like they are being twisted with tension just below my knee all the way down to the arch in my foot sometimes in both legs at the same time. I read that dill pickles and the juice would help and that NFL players eat dill pickles to reduce cramping. I have been eating a serving of dill chips when I remember. When I do eat the chips I don't wake with cramping. Tonight I didn't eat them and before I even fell asleep my arch started to cramp so I just got up to eat my pickles and check on here for more thoughts. I warm up and stretch every morning.
    I too have heard about the pickle...or rather the pickle juice cure as a simple remedy, and based upon my research, some folks swear by it.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    NOt to fear monger, but get your vit B 12 levels checked. A severe deficiency (Pernicious Anemia) can cause excruciating pains in the legs. It's definitely impacted by low carb eating.
    Why the fuck would low-carb impact the B12 levels, pretty much everything containing B12 in decent levels is either fatty or meat (or both).

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    Why the fuck would low-carb impact the B12 levels, pretty much everything containing B12 in decent levels is either fatty or meat (or both).
    Some side effects of thyroid conditions include illnesses like pernicious anemia. Which is a deficiency in B12 caused by an inability to absorb B12. If you've got a predisposition to thyroid conditions, low carb can effect that.

And relax btw.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Being a very low carber, when you eliminate 1/3 of the foods on Earth, you're welcoming deficiencies.

Carbohydrate has nothing to do with weight gain or loss, it's strictly caloric. Sticking to whole foods as carb sources - bananas, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, apples, oranges, etc - you likely won't gain weight. It's the flours and refined sugars that lead to weight gain because they're processed and predigested. You don't get full on them so you overeat. I wouldn't worry about it. Carb sources are less calorie dense than fat sources so you may drop weight even faster.

If it's a potassium issue like mentioned, bananas and tomatoes are the ticket. Tomatoes are often overlooked - they have more potassium than bananas and much less caloric density.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've seen most peoples resolve by getting enough magnesium, some potassium, and being sure to get enough sodium. Particularly if your low carb your kidneys process sodium differently and clings to it much less tightly. Thats why all the low carb experts say to add bouillon....but many paleo dieters are scared to death (unnecessarily so) of adding some salt. I'd suggest salted bone broth myself. And I get potassium and magnesium through my foods. Nuts and seeds are great sources for magnesium. Dark leafy greens, avocados, mushrooms, salmon.....are all very good for potassium...heck bananas are actually fairly low on this list. Or you could just supplement 400mg of magnesium and a couple hundred of potassium if you like. No reason you can't get it all from food though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast