Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Excruciating night leg cramps page 3

aussiesue is offline Member
    Shop Now
    My father was getting cramps of a night and found that 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water before going to bed stopped the cramps.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiesue View Post
    My father was getting cramps of a night and found that 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water before going to bed stopped the cramps.
    Knifegill in one of the posts above suggested 3/4 tsp of baking soda in a cup of water. Is this basically the same thing or does one work better than the other. Either way, I'm trying it tonight plus drinking extra water during the day. Thanks.

aussiesue is offline Member
    My father is "primal" without knowing it. Eats mostly his own veges, hardly any processed foods, so I suppose he wasn't getting sufficient salt intake, Years ago he would go out and pick dandelion greens for a salad, never ate any sugar, but does indulge in dark chocolate. He also mows his 3/4 acre block (quite a slope to it, about half with hand mower) he is 85 this year.

I have seen recipes out there that incorporate a pinch of epsom salts, bicarb and celtic/himalayan salt.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I hate to state the obvious, but are your legs/calves/hamstrings/etc tight? Try stretching daily and see if that helps.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I've heard baking soda helps, but haven't tried it. I added more salt (Real Salt) to my diet and take 800 mg of magnesium / day and I don't get them now.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    I agree with those who suggest you are low on potassium. Those 3 potassium capsules you take each day are only 9% of the RDA for potassium. Salt substitutes like NoSalt (Potassium Chloride) have WAY more potassium-- I use a little of that (I actually just pour a little bit into my palm and lick it up, then wash down with water) if I am exercising a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I hate to state the obvious, but are your legs/calves/hamstrings/etc tight? Try stretching daily and see if that helps.
    My calves and hamstrings may very well be tight. I'm just making the transition from a wheelchair to a walker and now a cane. It's painful so I'm probably not walking around as much as I will when I'm completely recovered. I've thought of doing stretches just before bed since the middle of the night is when the cramps started.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I've heard baking soda helps, but haven't tried it. I added more salt (Real Salt) to my diet and take 800 mg of magnesium / day and I don't get them now.
    I tried the baking soda and water just before bed last night. I also made a great effort to increase my water intake. I didn't have any cramps at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    I agree with those who suggest you are low on potassium. Those 3 potassium capsules you take each day are only 9% of the RDA for potassium. Salt substitutes like NoSalt (Potassium Chloride) have WAY more potassium-- I use a little of that (I actually just pour a little bit into my palm and lick it up, then wash down with water) if I am exercising a lot.
    I'm familiar with NoSalt. Its probably cheaper than the potassium supplements I buy. About how much do you pour into your palm. I'm also increasing the amount of salt I put on my food as well as drinking more water.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I take about 675 mg of magnesium a day. I'll consider increasing it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast