Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53

Thread: Excruciating night leg cramps page 3

  1. #21
    aussiesue's Avatar
    aussiesue is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    34
    Shop Now
    My father was getting cramps of a night and found that 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water before going to bed stopped the cramps.

  2. #22
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiesue View Post
    My father was getting cramps of a night and found that 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a glass of water before going to bed stopped the cramps.
    Knifegill in one of the posts above suggested 3/4 tsp of baking soda in a cup of water. Is this basically the same thing or does one work better than the other. Either way, I'm trying it tonight plus drinking extra water during the day. Thanks.

  3. #23
    aussiesue's Avatar
    aussiesue is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    34
    My father is "primal" without knowing it. Eats mostly his own veges, hardly any processed foods, so I suppose he wasn't getting sufficient salt intake, Years ago he would go out and pick dandelion greens for a salad, never ate any sugar, but does indulge in dark chocolate. He also mows his 3/4 acre block (quite a slope to it, about half with hand mower) he is 85 this year.

    I have seen recipes out there that incorporate a pinch of epsom salts, bicarb and celtic/himalayan salt.

  4. #24
    Catharsis's Avatar
    Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    205
    I hate to state the obvious, but are your legs/calves/hamstrings/etc tight? Try stretching daily and see if that helps.

  5. #25
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,161
    I've heard baking soda helps, but haven't tried it. I added more salt (Real Salt) to my diet and take 800 mg of magnesium / day and I don't get them now.

  6. #26
    BratKat's Avatar
    BratKat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Western Colorado
    Posts
    129
    I agree with those who suggest you are low on potassium. Those 3 potassium capsules you take each day are only 9% of the RDA for potassium. Salt substitutes like NoSalt (Potassium Chloride) have WAY more potassium-- I use a little of that (I actually just pour a little bit into my palm and lick it up, then wash down with water) if I am exercising a lot.

  7. #27
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    I hate to state the obvious, but are your legs/calves/hamstrings/etc tight? Try stretching daily and see if that helps.
    My calves and hamstrings may very well be tight. I'm just making the transition from a wheelchair to a walker and now a cane. It's painful so I'm probably not walking around as much as I will when I'm completely recovered. I've thought of doing stretches just before bed since the middle of the night is when the cramps started.

  8. #28
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I've heard baking soda helps, but haven't tried it. I added more salt (Real Salt) to my diet and take 800 mg of magnesium / day and I don't get them now.
    I tried the baking soda and water just before bed last night. I also made a great effort to increase my water intake. I didn't have any cramps at all.

  9. #29
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by BratKat View Post
    I agree with those who suggest you are low on potassium. Those 3 potassium capsules you take each day are only 9% of the RDA for potassium. Salt substitutes like NoSalt (Potassium Chloride) have WAY more potassium-- I use a little of that (I actually just pour a little bit into my palm and lick it up, then wash down with water) if I am exercising a lot.
    I'm familiar with NoSalt. Its probably cheaper than the potassium supplements I buy. About how much do you pour into your palm. I'm also increasing the amount of salt I put on my food as well as drinking more water.

  10. #30
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    I've heard baking soda helps, but haven't tried it. I added more salt (Real Salt) to my diet and take 800 mg of magnesium / day and I don't get them now.
    I take about 675 mg of magnesium a day. I'll consider increasing it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •