Thread: Primal Out and About page

sires6 is offline Senior Member

Primal Out and About

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, so I was thinking that sometimes I am forced to eat foods that are not made by my hands, locally made or strictly the best for me. We all have to eat.

So the question is, what have you done to stay Primal while eating out in a restaurant or food place? What have you decided to do rather than eat the CW foods piled on every menu?

While out for anniversary meals in NYC, I had many options and my DH was gracious to make sure that there were options for me.

What really made me think of this topic was I was out and about and needed something to eat and I went to the grocery store... but I thought, "what if I didn't have the grocery? What could I eat at [fill in restaurant]?"

I went to Five Guys and got a double with all the vegies I could handle, avoided the nuts and fries and threw away the bun. That with a water, and I was covered.

I've eaten at Longhorn Steakhouse and gotten salad with oil and vinegar and a steak and asked that the bread be taken away.

What do you guys do?
    The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
    Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm familiar with the menus and few places really suit me any more. My main place I go to doesn't really cater to my needs; the salads and soups have never suited me. So I don't bother most of the time and just drink wine and fine I admit have a gluten free cheat.

So, getting a chance to read "21 Day..." by Mark and he talks a lot about this, but I also wanted you all's take, what do you do?

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
    Pope John Paul II

I went to a Mexican place where they kept wanting to add rice and beans to everything... but finally offered me fried plantains instead. That meant that I got a mild starch and dessert at the same time!

Annie Sires

Pope John Paul II

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    I am faced with this all the time as I travel for a living, mostly international. It's tough. I order the cleanest protein and veggies I can. Sometimes I skip meals, but I can't do that more than one meal in a row.

The good news is I now usually lose weight when I'm on the road rather than gain.

jay_fm is offline Member
    I typically order a 5 guys burger in a lettuce wrap but I still get the cheese and occasionally the fries. Chipotle is another place. I get the veggies, carnitas (extra meat), lettuce, cheese and guac in a bowl.

I consider these small cheats but I am ok with that.
    Pre-Primal SW: 161
    CW- 150
    Goal 120ish

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I try to peruse menus online before I go out, if possible. Otherwise, you can always opt for steak or fish with vegetables (I ask for extra veggies instead of the potato or rice side); grilled chicken wings; salad and hold the bad stuff (e.g. tortilla strips); a wrap without an actual wrap around it. Sashimi is always a safe bet.

I don't sweat minor things like some dressing on my salad, which is generally sure to contain something non-primal, or some sauce that might contain 1/2 teaspoon of flour.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You can find nuts in many convenience stores.

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    I try not to worry too much about what oils are being used in restaurants etc. But I also don't have to go out a lot. A day shopping in town usually amounts to skipping lunch. Nearly everything involves wheat in some way, and I am turning out to quite quite sensitive to it.
    When going out I compromise quite a lot. I can tolerate carbs, so I'll have a curry or something with potato. But given a choice I'd say the best option are buffets. You can mix and match however you like, and by skipping the starches you probably get the must for your money as well.

jllundqu is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_fm View Post
    I typically order a 5 guys burger in a lettuce wrap but I still get the cheese and occasionally the fries. Chipotle is another place. I get the veggies, carnitas (extra meat), lettuce, cheese and guac in a bowl.

I consider these small cheats but I am ok with that.
    Chipotle is awesome... heatlhy meats and veggies. Get the bowl, skip rice and beans and opt for the onions/peppers, get your meat, lettuce, salsa and avocado and you're good to go!

In-N-Out = If you don't mind a little cheese every now and then, get a double-double protien style/animal style, skip the fries.

Wendys just added baked sweet potatoes so I usually get a chicken salad with sweet potato on the side.

If I can't find anything while I'm out, I consider it a natural consequence of being primal/hunter/gatherer who can't find food... so I Fast (IF) until my next meal!

Anyone else have good spots out in the world?
    Re-Starting Paleo January 10, 2013

SW - 185.4 lbs Janury 10, 2013
    CW- 179.8 lbs
    Goal- 168 lbs Full Performance Level PBF, 32" waist, lean...

MY PALEO JOURNAL

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln